Notifications
Clear all

Brack caliper bolt backed out

Page 2 / 2
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

So i ended up replacing both bracket bolts on that wheel, the missing one and the one that was still there. The one that was still there had a lot of grit in the threads, and the threads were a bit worn here and there. If I had to guess, the other bolt was probably the same, and its possible I undertorqued it in the first place. I torqued the new bolts and marked them with a paint pen so I can see if they rotate at all. I would have to agree that you won't die if you dont torque everything to spec, I mean there are plenty of things I just do by feel. Usually just avoid that on "safety" systems for my own peace of mind. Then again, I dont have a lifetime of experience to tell me otherwise so I just play it by the book. Regardless, hopefully I dont run into this issue again.

Also, if anyone wants some interesting reading, look into how much of a bolts "torque" actually ends up as clamping force. Its not as much as you'd think. Most of the reason for torque settings is to prevent bolts from shaking off imo

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 22, 2022 6:48 pm
(@turbo_jimbo)
Estimable Member

Glad you were able to get it resolved. Keeping an eye on it will let you know if the knuckle is still suitable. Go enjoy it!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 23, 2022 2:37 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: