Clear all

A two year long coolant system experience

Page 3 / 3
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

@galo

i expect to get it pressure tested before install. I’m going to clean it (outside) and give it a light radiator paint spray. Thoughts on a flush? Problem is performing a flush without installing first. I’m thinking putting vinegar in and letting it sit with that for a day. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 22, 2020 10:31 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

Maybe run hot water thru it to see if any "junk" comes out...maybe pour in a rad flush...

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 24, 2020 7:03 pm
(@dblotii)
Estimable Member

@ispyValeo is an OEM radiator manufacturer, just not for Toyota.  Their products are generally very good quality.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 24, 2020 7:56 pm
(@dblotii)
Estimable Member

@ispy I would definitely not paint a modern radiator.  The paint won't stick reliably and if it does it just hurts the heat transfer capability.  No benefits to painting at all.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 24, 2020 7:58 pm
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

Interesting topic this radiator painting thing. I read through several sites in my search for an answer to what the pros and cons in painting it along with what paint. Long story short painting actually improves the heat dissipation. I know, I know.. contrary to what we might think. I am siding with not painting because the OE was not painted. Regarding cleaning it, this rad is in excellent shape and while I still may run vinegar through it, I do not believe that will be of any use because it is so clean.

In regard to manufacturer, there is no notation that I could see. There is a "D" after the "Toyota" with part number. (I'll photo that tomorrow) when I will more thoroughly inspect it to see if I can spot any company insignias.

20200407 135049

This post was modified 4 years ago by ISpy
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 24, 2020 8:29 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Legal disclaimer: I don't know nuthin' about this kind of stuff.

When I was restoring the Fiat 850 Spider, I took the radiator to a radiator specialty shop to have it rodded and boiled ( I think that's the terminology they used).  While there,  I watched the staff finish off the repairs by spraying cheap black spray paint on the radiators before setting them on the shelf ready for customer pick-up.  I was amazed,  but this shop had a great reputation in the car community.   Please reference legal disclaimer above.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 24, 2020 9:58 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Didn't Mighty Car Mods do a test on painted vs unpainted intercooler and painted ended up better for heat transfer?

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 25, 2020 4:17 am
(@dblotii)
Estimable Member

@ispy  It might have made sense on old radiators to prevent corrosion.  It is also based on the idea that a black surface has better heat radiation than lighter colors; but radiators are primarily convective heat transfer devices, not radiative!  Paint just adds a thin thermal barrier to the aluminum on a modern radiator.  You will notice that no manufacturer paints an aluminum radiator. That includes racing applications

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 26, 2020 11:22 am
Page 3 / 3
Share: