Share:
Notifications
Clear all

A two year long coolant system experience

Page 2 / 3
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Hmm, that's a surprise. The OE one for my 96 Corolla was Harrison or Denso, I have a Denso in there right now. 99% of my Corolla and MR2 are Denso though.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 12, 2020 9:39 pm
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

I hope I’m wrong.  My original search was for Denso as I figured that was the OE.  While I do see Parts/Japanesevehicles.com stating a Japan labeled rad is a Denso related to a used 2004. No where else can I find reference to a MR2 Denso radiator. In searching Denso company sites (Densoparts, Densoautoparts, etc.) my results state no parts available.... Hmmm. Then I see on SC that Koyo (Koyorad) is stated as the OE. That I do find references to as OE. But cannot find a retailer. I reached out to Koyorad and left a message. Impatient as ever, I reach out here. With your stating your MR2 uses a Denso rad, I am kinda stumped. Full circle...

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 12, 2020 10:45 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Whatever you choose I would stay clear of any of the aluminum performance radiators. 
Dave at DDPR prefers the OEM Toyota even for high horsepower applications. Nothing wrong with buying used low mileage as it has the potentially of outlasting the car.  Radiator leaks for this car is rare unless you upgrade to a race radiator. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 12, 2020 11:49 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Yeah if Rock Auto doesn't stock Denso then it's probably not originally Denso. Go with whatever OEM supplier was for this car. I believe I am wrong about Denso for the Spyder.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2020 6:30 am
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

So the Koyo is NOT the OEM. The Koyorad A2358 has not been produced since 2014 and there are none known to be around. The R2358, or race version (aluminum) is available. Koyorad claimed not have known failure issues in the R2358. (.... I didn't see myself speed officer.) SADA and Mishimoto also make aluminum versions. Mishimoto had lovers and haters. Whether you hear more from the haters is like when you read the negative ratings on something and are forever concerned. There are supposedly 3 primary aftermarket radiator manufacturing facilities - all China.  While the tanks on the sides are replaceable on the OE, don't do it. Failures are inevitable unless you have the jig and crimper. Buying a low mileage used would be okay in theory, but there are many issues with that related to care, damage, motor related failure, thermal distress and corrosion.

I reached out to a distributor who is going to provide a break down of available units, failure rates and availability. I'm not holding my breath. Honestly, in the end I’ll probably gonna go with Toyota. Which might be actually made by Denso... Parts are getting rare. I think I'll have to make this the last deer I hit. 

This post was modified 4 years ago by ISpy
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 13, 2020 11:14 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

If you do go OEM, let us know who makes it! Will be super interesting. Denso usually has all their parts available on the aftermarket but why not in this case?

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 14, 2020 12:02 am
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

@ISpy

I always recommend against hitting deer. For insurance purposes, it's much better to let them hit you.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 14, 2020 2:46 am
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

I had suspected, but it’s been confirmed that all the radiator for our car whether OE or aftermarket are aluminum. The Koyo is well recommended. Anyone with counter arguments/comments on that?I’m going to evaluate the car this afternoon if I can break away from my conf calls and laptop for a bit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 19, 2020 10:15 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I think the anti-aluminum talk refers to full aluminum radiators like Mishimoto, not radiators that are mostly aluminum. Factory one has plastic end caps, top and bottom. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 19, 2020 8:27 pm
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

My radiator is okay, although 17 years...I will likely replace primarily because now or no find later. 

Koyo radiators altogether are discontinued for the MR2. You can find them. Roughly $360. Lifetime warranty, but if one fails then what?  Allegedly better quality than OE. Allegations made by good honest retailer of Koyorad, Mishimoto, aftermarket and used OE.

OEM available but limited. Roughly $400. They are on websites but calls end up empty.

Mishimoto makes both race and plastic. 53mm aluminum race is roughly $350. Plastic is $105. Mishimoto is medium quality but lifetime warranty. For us home mechanics that warranty is supposedly take pictures, fill Mishimoto form, they make determination (!) then you have a $30 replacement fee and the fun that accompanies a rad failure.

Old OEM. Not easy to find but they are available. You have to gamble a little. Any rad used over 10 years is likely at least half way through it's lifespan and not as efficient as new. But it's 1/3 cost of new OE.

Aftermarket... See Mishimoto plastic... Some have warranty some don't. Getting what your paying for. But easy to get and provided they actually fit, work, and don't blow up, they are between $80 and $150. Koyorad says there are 3 aftermarket manufactures, all located in virus manufacturing homeland.

I'm undecided. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 19, 2020 8:59 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Just a heads up, $300 for an OEM from ToyotaPartsDeal and they seem to indicate they have it. https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~radiator~assy~16400-22110.html

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 19, 2020 9:19 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

I had to replace the rad in my Spyder last June. I bought a Valeo(p/n 732417) thru Advance's online store(don't remember the exact cost, but ~$100). If my memory serves me correctly, it arrived 2 days after I ordered it, shipped from Roanoke VA to Indy.  It fit perfectly and does its job perfectly. Comparing it visually, it is a copy of the OEM rad.

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 21, 2020 1:20 pm
marsrock7 reacted
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

@galo I believe Valeo is the premium brand at Rockauto. They have run-out. I'm getting a used OEM from a buddy. Sight unseen though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 21, 2020 5:31 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @ispy

@galo I believe Valeo is the premium brand at Rockauto. They have run-out. I'm getting a used OEM from a buddy. Sight unseen though.

Let us know how the used OEM works out.  I believe they have some kind of foam radiator fin cleaner that you could use to get some of the accumulated crud out before installation. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 21, 2020 7:06 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

@ispy Yes, RA sells the brand, and I'm fairly certain it cost less thru Advance(ordering online gives a discount). Not to challenge your "smarts" or buddy, but are you having the replacement rad pressure tested?

I wish I knew more of my Spyder's history...it has a few interesting "things" 😉 😉 

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 22, 2020 12:11 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share: