Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Vegitable Seeds For Trade or Sale?

Page 3 / 4
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

The berries are tough the birds love them so we struggle to manage keeping them away only had them a few seasons so nothing impressive yet 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2020 9:59 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

I think we may need to get some bird netting to protect our stone fruit.  Our trees are so young, they won't produce much fruit to begin with.  I think they will need a bit of protection.

We had a pretty good crop last year with our little blue berry bushes.   Looks to be about the same this year.  We didn't have any problems with birds snatching them last year.   I hope they leave them alone again this year.  I don't ever remember birds attacking the boysen berries at my parent's house, so I think we'll be okay on that front.  If not,  I guess we'll learn this year. 

We've added 7 more tomatoes from when we started,  since we've added that additional drip irrigation line, and my son-in-law provided a couple of hot pepper plants to grow for him.  I think we are going to be maxed-out at this point.   . . . famous last words . . . 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 22, 2020 12:47 am
T-bone reacted
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

What we read was that a 50:50 mic of sand and peat moss is ideal for both blue and cranberries. Water is the big variable here it’s either deluge or drought consistency is always key with plants. I can supplement nature but left to me they are doomed indoor plants are on a death sentence 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 22, 2020 8:54 am
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

So here is how my monday is going 4 ton of stone to help with path & boundary weed control

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by T-bone
ReplyQuote
Posted : April 27, 2020 10:01 am
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member
A88E99DB 5FDF 4EF6 821E D6A7DBF9BDDE

Tried to get the pic to attach no luck after the fact

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 27, 2020 10:03 am
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)
Posted by: @t-bone
A88E99DB 5FDF 4EF6 821E D6A7DBF9BDDE

My back hurts just looking at that!  LOL!  It's a good thing you enjoy physical labor.  That said, have fun!  Regarding drought -- I live in a reclaimed desert.  Everything is on drip irrigation here in our yard.  Now it's just a matter of checking emitters to make certain they are all working the way they are supposed to work and not clogged.  Based on last year's performance, in some places I will need to add an additional emitter or two just to make certain that specific plants (i.e. watermelon and cantaloupe) get enough water to grow to capacity.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 28, 2020 12:31 pm
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

@uncle-mush I am getting good at it 🙂 all done in an afternoon will put up some after photos in a bit my photography skill is legendarily bad

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 28, 2020 6:56 pm
Uncle Mush reacted
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member
3D5FDEAF 6BB6 4330 8CA3 FC6ACB4E41CA

89A0483B 6884 419C BA17 D0149C93FD14

Pics

05D67C0C A508 435E 9AFE E79EBE59F523

This post was modified 4 years ago by T-bone
ReplyQuote
Posted : April 28, 2020 6:58 pm
Uncle Mush reacted
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member
543D3DEC 8B82 4AD4 8558 4B67039709E6
A8093F55 5982 4940 A005 D3E7AD0FE753
A8093F55 5982 4940 A005 D3E7AD0FE753
ReplyQuote
Posted : April 28, 2020 7:01 pm
Uncle Mush reacted
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

After trimming my Superhot a few times, I've got some good growth and lots of flowers in their early stages. Tons of shoots off the plant and a solid stem. My less hot, but still hot Thai peppers aren't doing nearly as good as expected and I think one of the plants may be a hybridized pepper between a Thai and a Hab, so that could be interesting.. I'm about to plant a few more Thai's since their the primary pepper my wife and I eat, otherwise I need to trim the bunch again. 

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 14, 2020 9:10 am
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

LOL.  One thai chili pod would be enough hot pepper to last me three years!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 14, 2020 6:21 pm
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

We've started picking strawberries this past week and part of last week, somewhere north of 2000 gallons so far.  We've got some of the bigger fields of peppers and tomatoes planted, which we had to cover a few nights last week due to unusually low temps, unfortunately we're going to have to replant about an acre of green beans though.  I've been playing with the new tractor learning the ins and outs of the guidance system this week.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 15, 2020 12:01 am
dev and Uncle Mush reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

I've got a long way to go to catch up to you.   I picked about 1/2 gallon of boysen berries today.  What does it cost to plant an acre of green beans?  We've got about a 15 foot row of black-eyed peas that we planted using black-eyed peas we grew last year.   We are so proud of ourselves!  Can you tell we are new to this "farming" business?  <grin>

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 15, 2020 1:33 am
nocoolname and dev reacted
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

True cost or cost of seed?  There's a bit under 5000 bean plants in that field.  True cost is a lot more complicated because water, fertilizer, labor, fuel, plastic and such would all go into that.  I can tell you true cost of the strawberries we do is around $9k an acre though.  We buy new plants every year though, all our other produce is started from seed in our greenhouses. 

Last year we finally stepped into the 'technology age' of farming and bought a new tractor with GPS guidance.  We mainly used it for produce but I hooked it to a planter yesterday to use with soybeans.  It's different but fun.  The short of it is you 'record' your first line and after that, you turn at the ends of the field, get the tractor lined back up, push a button on the touchscreen and it takes over steering to keep everything evenly spaced.  At the other end of the field, you stop the tractor, lift the planter, turn back around and hit the button again.  It's some pretty great stuff.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2020 9:43 pm
dev reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Sounds pretty high-tech.  Once you push the button,  is it hands off the wheel and the equipment then drives the tractor or does the mapping guide you but you still have your hands on the wheel?  

Regarding my previous question, what I should have asked was how much does it cost for enough seed to plant one acre of beans?  

What produce plants do you start from seed in your greenhouses that then have to be transplanted?  That sounds labor intensive/expensive.   I had no idea.  I thought all that just got sowen into the ground as seed.

Thank you,in advance, for the education. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 17, 2020 11:51 am
nocoolname reacted
Page 3 / 4
Share: