Vegitable Seeds For...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Vegitable Seeds For Trade or Sale?

Page 2 / 4
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Wow, T-bone!  Your garden sounds HUGE!  Garden envy! 

Okay, this week we planted our little garden.  Here is the list of annuals we planted:  2 zucchini plants, 1 crook neck squash, a burpless cucumber, 1 early girl tomato, 1 yellow "Pineapple" heirloom tomato, a cantaloupe, and a watermelon.  Those are all plants we got at a hardware store. I am growing, from seed, about 35 black-eyed peas and 4 Armenian cucumber plants.  Those won't be ready to put into the ground for another few weeks.

We also planted -- just tonight -- a meyer lemon tree.  And this time, I used a commercially produced organic-type of fertilizer for all of these new plantings.  I have to go out tomorrow and I am hoping I can purchase a 4" pot of cherry tomatoes from the little hardware store down the street that will let me pay over the phone and then bring my purchase out to my car (a new service due to COVID-19).  Later this year I will attempt to grow some butternut squash from seeds I saved from a squash we ate about a month ago.  I have no idea if that is going to work, but the black-eyed peas and Armenian cucumbers are growing and I saved them from veggies we grew last season.

Already exiting in our yard are my thornless Boysen berry vines that I planted about a year or two ago.  I will post pictures soon.  These are special to me because they came from my parent's house and I was able to transplant them before we sold the house as part of settling their estate.  We also have the zanty currant grape vine we planted two years ago.  I'll post a pic of that soon.  Five small blueberry bushes, a dwarf yellow nectarine tree, an apricot tree and a white peach tree that we planted 2 years ago.

That will pretty much round-out our garden.  I am hopeful that with the addition of using fertilizer that we will increase the yield of our tomatoes, this year.  

My plan is to build a small push cart to use as the "Keats Cul-de-sac Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Co-Op" fruit and vegetable stand.  We live on Keats Avenue.  I hope to build the "stand" this weekend with odds and ins I've got around the shop.  The majority of people in our small cul-de-sac are retired or nearing that age and several of us have produce we can share with each other.  My plan is to alert the neighbors that if they want to take some produce or leave some produce for neighbors that the cart will be at the end of the cul-de-sac every morning between 8AM and 10AM and to help themselves.  Having never done anything like that before, we'll see how it goes.  Everyone on our cul-de-sac is pretty hospitable and we share produce with each other already, I just thought this would be something fun to do since we are all pretty much sheltered in place, due to COVID-19.  Once I get the "stand" built, I will also post pics in this thread.  I hope to be able to develop a "logo" for the fruit stand and apply that to the miniature billboard over the top of the "stand".  I haven't even started designing yet, so time will tell how well I am able to pull that off.

Pictures will soon follow.  Stay tuned.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 15, 2020 1:22 am
marsrock7 reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Boysen Berry Vines

Boysen Berry Vine 2020 04 15

Nectarine, Apricot and White Peach behind the shop

Orchard 2020 04 15

Zanty Currant Grape

Zanaty Grape 2020 04 15

Raised bed with squash and tomatoes

Raised Bed 2020 04 15

. . . and in the nursery (patio end table), sprouting Armenian Cucumber and Black Eyed Peas . . .

Cuccumber and BE Peas 2020 04 15
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 15, 2020 11:15 am
marsrock7, T-bone, neomr2 and 1 people reacted
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

Not as big as it sounds but we have spent a good deal of time building boxes to make planting very efficient. here are a few picks for past years

IMG 6863
IMG 5143

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 19, 2020 2:32 pm
marsrock7 reacted
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

a few more 

IMG 3588

IMG 6866

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 19, 2020 2:35 pm
marsrock7 reacted
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

IMG 3627

+ chickens

IMG 4956

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 19, 2020 2:38 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

That is awesome!  I love seeing the chickens.  I had a few chickens when I was just a lad, growing-up.  I would love to have  few here, but city ordinances prevent it (as does my wife) 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 19, 2020 3:01 pm
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @uncle-mush

That is awesome!  I love seeing the chickens.  I had a few chickens when I was just a lad, growing-up.  I would love to have  few here, but city ordinances prevent it (as does my wife) 🙂

I have become super hippy dippy in my old age. I use so so so much plastic and crap at work we decided we would try to live home lives more responsibly. Rain barrels compost and the chickens are excellent garbage disposals: Citrus (weakens the eggs), avocado (poisonous to chickens), and raw potatoes (also semi poisonous) are all that is off limits. has really cut down our home waste a great deal. I put coffee grounds in their run keeps the smell and PH very nice for them.

Just bought a few more stock tanks today we fill them with soil and they are easy raised beds. Our soil here is 90% clay raspberries do OK but most other plants hate it

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 19, 2020 5:15 pm
marsrock7 reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

My plan is to build a small push cart to use as the "Keats Cul-de-sac Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Co-Op" fruit and vegetable stand.  We live on Keats Avenue.  I hope to build the "stand" this weekend with odds and ins I've got around the shop.  The majority of people in our small cul-de-sac are retired or nearing that age and several of us have produce we can share with each other.  My plan is to alert the neighbors that if they want to take some produce or leave some produce for neighbors that the cart will be at the end of the cul-de-sac every morning between 8AM and 10AM and to help themselves.  Having never done anything like that before, we'll see how it goes.  Everyone on our cul-de-sac is pretty hospitable and we share produce with each other already, I just thought this would be something fun to do since we are all pretty much sheltered in place, due to COVID-19.  Once I get the "stand" built, I will also post pics in this thread.  I hope to be able to develop a "logo" for the fruit stand and apply that to the miniature billboard over the top of the "stand".  I haven't even started designing yet, so time will tell how well I am able to pull that off.

Pictures will soon follow.  Stay tuned.

Well, I didn't create a logo, but I "borrowed" one that I saw on Google Images.  The majority of materials in this project were left over from other projects, combined with bits and pieces of trash and other objects I hoarded.  That said, I have less than $20 out of pocket in expenses for this thing.  Now we just have to wait for the plants to grow and produce fruits and veggies.  Oh, and I ran a drip line along the fence where I have since added 4 more tomato plants with space for another one (or something else).  It's been a fun weekend.

Resized 20200419 142106

Resized 20200419 142045

When our raised bed falls apart, I might take a cue from T-bone and use livestock watering bins.  It would seem to me that I would need to cut holes in the bottom for drainage.  Is that correct?  And if so, what did you use to cut drainage holes?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 19, 2020 7:18 pm
marsrock7 and T-bone reacted
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

The larger ones have drain plugs I just take those off but yes the shallow ones popping a few holes in the size to allow drainage is a solid idea 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 19, 2020 7:53 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

@t-bone good to know the large ones have drain holes.  Thanks for the info.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 19, 2020 7:55 pm
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

Just got though topping the beds with 2 yards of garden soil adding a few new stock tanks. Peated the blueberries and cranberries also. This years project is getting some better fencing to keep chickens and ground hogs out, 4 ton of pea stone coming in a few days to keep walk way weeds at bay and hoping to contract a demo of our old shed in preparation for a brand spanking new one.

Feel pretty good moving the soil about 6 miles of back and forth according to my Fitbit hauling a wheel barrow full of dirt 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2020 6:43 pm
Uncle Mush reacted
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

@t-bone good to know the large ones have drain holes.  Thanks for the info.

I just added three shallows with no drain I will let you know how it works out

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2020 6:43 pm
Uncle Mush reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

I'm starting to look around for livestock tanks.  We've got a Tractor store of some sorts nearby and I have seen such tanks in their side yard.  I was only able to see some large round tanks that were only about (guessing) a foot high and the price was about $20 bucks.  There were some more desirable (to my liking) oblong tanks (maybe 2 foot in height) further back in their yard that I'm interested in securing a price for, but could not see prices from the seat of my car.  I'm waiting for COVID to subside before I venture out to window shop such items.  I've only played around with searching online as I would image that shipping costs would kill the deal.  I'm glad I've got months before I need to get serious about researching to make any real decisions about using those big galvanized tanks -- like several smaller ones (still pretty big) or a couple of huge tanks to replace the one raised bed we have.  I suppose I should also consider using cinder blocks to replace the 2x10s that the previous owner used to build the raised bed.  

Wow! That was a lot of wheelbarrow hiking according to your Fitbit.  Good for you!  How's your back? 🙂  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 21, 2020 7:53 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)
Posted by: @t-bone

. . .  the blueberries and cranberries also.

I didn't catch blueberries and cranberries in your earlier post.  Sorry I missed that.  If you've got all of that and you say your property is really not all that large, you must be doing an incredible job at land management.  That's pretty awesome!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 21, 2020 7:56 pm
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

I am in pretty good shape these days. Riding 450-500 miles / month on my peloton waiting to get on my regular bike with some good weather.  Moving dirt is just endurance you just go through the motions. The 4 ton of peastone coming Friday will be more of a challenge harder to shovel and more ground to cover. I love physical labor at my age the fact I can do it like I was 30 is a privilege more than a burden 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2020 9:58 pm
Uncle Mush reacted
Page 2 / 4
Share: