Share:
Notifications
Clear all

I Need a 6 Speed

Page 2 / 3
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

MikeV is your man. Get some OEM axle seals. Not sure if you even need a new clutch at that point.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 29, 2019 5:32 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

@haloruler64

Clutch feels perfect but there is no way that I would open it up without replacing all wear items. I know, overkill! It is one of the crosses that I bear.

It appears that the C66 is Helical rather than Torsen LSD. Now all that I have to do is figure out what that means.

Do you think OEM clutch, pressure plate, etc, given that my twisted mind will require me to replace them?

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 29, 2019 10:27 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Torsen is a helical LSD, but helical is the actual term while Torsen was used as a term by the inventor for different types of LSDs I believe. IMO helical are the best. No additives, no wear parts, and natural and predictable performance. 

If you insist on replacing the clutch, I'd probably do an Exedy kit with an OEM Toyota throwout bearing. But only from legit sources like Rock Auto, there are fake Exedy parts out there! Not sure if the OEM clutch disc and pressure plate are cost prohibitive. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 29, 2019 10:30 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

@haloruler64

Thanks! Much appreciated!

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 29, 2019 11:00 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Interesting, seems like an OEM clutch setup is reasonably priced! These are part numbers for the 2000 MY, so won't directly apply to you. Just using these for reference since I have a 2000. 

Pressure plate: 31210-12221: $65.56
Clutch disc: 31250-12360: $46.87

Total of $112.43 from ToyotaPartsDeal. Compared to $129.99 for an Exedy kit from RockAuto (which includes a throwout bearing but people say not to use those in any clutch kit). The TOB is an extra $37.28 and is part number 31230-12170. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 29, 2019 11:09 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

Not saying it would be better or worse, but it might be worth a few extra minutes to check NorwalkToyota too. I was pretty happy with the prices I just got on my front strut mounts and other strut odds n ends.

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2019 7:27 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Just to be clear, this isn't me recommending ToyotaPartsDeal. Just a random site I used for parts prices. I've used Norwalk and like them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2019 8:06 am
(@not-2-old-for-2-seater)
Estimable Member

Afternoon,

I, and many before me, have purchased used used C66 trannys with LSD from MikeV (SpyderChat).  Because he buys in bulk, he sometimes has LSDs and sometimes does not.

If you purchase from him, it will be shipped freight from Europe to where ever you want it.

Shame On Me!  When I bought my tranny from MikeV I naively thought that it would come steam cleaned etc. In fact, they come exactly as they were when taken out of the donor car.

However, if you want detailed directions on how to clean them completely prior to painting, let me know.  When I did mine, there was quite a bit of Trial-And-Error, multiple different cleaning agents, and lots of hand scrubbing with various kinds of brushes. Due to the fact that some of the cleaning products have to be used/rinsed/air dried before other products can be used, I did mine outside where it was easy to use the hose for rinsing and the sun for air drying. Having the tranny you are cleaning on an engine lift hook, PRICELESS!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2019 3:13 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Or you could be like me and not clean it because I'm awful.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2019 7:24 pm
Estimable Member

Belts and Suspenders Time:

The 2ZZ clutch (can't remember about throw out bearing and/or pressure plate) works on the 1ZZ.  Given that the 2ZZ puts out quite a bit more horsepower and some more torque, my thinking was that it would have a longer service life than the 1ZZ stuff.

Might As Well Do It Right:

When you are doing everything else for max enjoyment, why not go with a lightweight clutch?

Once upon a time, I would recommend the lightweight Fidenza three piece unit.  However, my Fidenza lasted less than 4 months before the ring gear came loose.  Will soon be putting in a MWR lightweight flywheel instead. Definitely go with the APR flywheel bolts and be sure to torque them to the proper specs.

Paul

P.S. Metal shift cable bushings are also a "Really Nice To Have."

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2019 10:14 pm
(@suoiruc)
Trusted Member

@not-2-old-for-2-seater

Hey Paul, did your Fidanza flywheel have the, iirc, 3 button screws that keep the ring gear from loosening or is that a revision made after the problem you had? I used a Fidanza with the 2zz clutch recently and was worried about that issue after reading about it but thought that issue was resolved.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 1, 2019 1:06 am
Estimable Member

Yes, my Fidenza had the screws.  Plus, according to Fidenza, they use some sort of bonding action to mate the ring gear to the flywheel. When I asked the Fidenza rep if it was some sort of epoxy, adhesive, or heat treatment, the only reply I got was "The bonding is proprietary information."

During my first discussion with Fidenza the "Loose Ring Gear Problem," was a 1 out of a 1,000 problem.  In subsequent conversations that number ballooned up to 5 out of a thousand. Who knows what the real number is?\

For me, the showstopper with Fidenza as a "Reputable Company," was their ABSOLUTE refusal to commit to paying removal and/or re-installation costs for the failed flywheel.

P.S. As I recall, rather than simply have 3 button screws, I believe that there were 6 or more of them.  I will verify this when the flywheel is actually out.

This post was modified 4 years ago by Not 2 Old For 2 Seater
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 1, 2019 4:37 am
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

I have a Competition Clutch lightweight flywheel in my TSX and my MR2.  I have used them in previous vehicles as well. They are 1 piece chromoly. Never had an issue with one yet!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 1, 2019 10:26 am
neomr2 reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I have a good experience so far with a Fidenza clutch however everyone else that bought the same clutch had them fail across multiple platforms. Fidenza is a crap company and their flywheel quality control is not very good.   

One of the things that is sad with automotive forums like Spyderchat are those that are selfish and recommend brands that have a documented history of bad customer support and products just because their crap worked out for them even when they know their bad reputation is earned.  They often get invested in the brand and double down when called out because they want to defend their choices.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 1, 2019 2:41 pm
(@suoiruc)
Trusted Member

@not-2-old-for-2-seater

Thanks for the info. That totally sucks to drop the tranny a second time.  Guess I’ll be getting a one material kind of flywheel next time around.

Did Fidanza at least refund your money for the flywheel?

@Marsrock- got a part number for the competition clutch lightweight flywheel? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 1, 2019 4:46 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share: