Notifications
Clear all

Header wrapping

Page 2 / 2
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member

Thanks Dave.

Hence I opted for derestricting the cat/muffler and refitting the OEM heat shields.

The result is that after an hour of spirited driving though the southern mountains I can touch the black heat shield above the muffler. Not in city traffic ofcourse.

´Problem´ with the better flowing exhaust is (apart from being loúd) that the intake now sucks. I mean sucks more. And there is not much one can do about it without creating more problems. I was even reluctant to swap out the OEM intake horn/elbow for something less restrictive. I goes from 70 to 46 to 65 mm. Seems a bit of a waste now the exhaust is free. Will try a bell mouth on an elbow going from 90 to 76 mm. After Toyota themselves sold an after market TRD trumpet. Can always swap back.

Suggestions VERY welcome!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 29, 2020 12:47 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I do not think the header wrap does anything for power good or bad on our cars. It does keep under hood temps very low compared to what it was before as I was surprised at the difference it made which is why I haven't removed it because it made zero power. It does looks better then a corroded header and people think Im some kind of super street ricer from 2008. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 29, 2020 1:09 pm
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @dev

I do not think the header wrap does anything for power good or bad on our cars. It does keep under hood temps very low compared to what it was before as I was surprised at the difference it made which is why I haven't removed it because it made zero power. It does looks better then a corroded header and people think Im some kind of super street ricer from 2008. 

On mine you can only and only just see the nice amber rvs midpipe from the back. Ah and the ditto end pipe. Still simply a pipe as I don´t have any luck with finding/buying a Hello Kitty tip 😥 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 29, 2020 1:49 pm
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @petrus

On mine you can only and only just see the nice amber rvs midpipe from the back. Ah and the ditto end pipe. Still simply a pipe as I don´t have any luck with finding/buying a Hello Kitty tip 😥 

The chrome trumpet tips coming out the bumper and a hint of SS muffler shining  though the grill is now the best features of my exhaust bits. It has a bit of that steampunk look. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 29, 2020 2:19 pm
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member

The chrome trumpet tips coming out the bumper and a hint of SS muffler shining  though the grill is now the best features of my exhaust bits. It has a bit of that steampunk look. 

Yes, I can get that. ENJOY! The most important bit 👍 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 29, 2020 3:31 pm
dev reacted
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member
If Posted by: @petrus
Posted by: @cspidy

I have also seen many hot rods with wrapped headers, I must admit on some I like the look.

Plus it actually wórks!  So there you go.   The crux is; on thát application. So there you do a 180.

I only agreed to like the kool factor,

which reminds me of an evening that my brother and I were at a car cruise in a parking lot

at one end where a group of young ricers, so we walked over to kind of admire their handy work.

they all had extreme caster on the wheels which prompted us to ask why?

one of the young gear heads responded because it looks kool.

my brother looked at me and smiled because he said it reminded him of a time when he too was a young gear head in the late 50s

he said they would take the air cleaners off of their engines because it made the engine sound kool.

there is always some mutual benefit from the kool factor even if there is no gain or even a possible loss.

And

it was nice to see a 75 year old connect with a teenager, wish there was more of this.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 30, 2020 1:06 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
If Posted by: @petrus

I have also seen many hot rods with wrapped headers, I must admit on some I like the look.

Plus it actually wórks!  So there you go.   The crux is; on thát application. So there you do a 180.

I only agreed to like the kool factor,

which reminds me of an evening that my brother and I were at a car cruise in a parking lot

at one end where a group of young ricers, so we walked over to kind of admire their handy work.

they all had extreme caster on the wheels which prompted us to ask why?

one of the young gear heads responded because it looks kool.

my brother looked at me and smiled because he said it reminded him of a time when he too was a young gear head in the late 50s

he said they would take the air cleaners off of their engines because it made the engine sound kool.

there is always some mutual benefit from the kool factor even if there is no gain or even a possible loss.

And

it was nice to see a 75 year old connect with a teenager, wish there was more of this.

I have meet plenty of ricers at various meets. Im also of the same mentality in person and don't give them crap for being ridiculous and over the top in person. At least they were honest about just being Kool. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 30, 2020 1:19 pm
(@dblotii)
Estimable Member

@petrusTeh stock intake "trumpet" section is a venturi that does a good job of cutting down intake noise without hurting peak power (should be less than a 1 HP peak loss)

take apart any modern OEM air cleaner and you will see something similar in function of not shape

Dave

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 30, 2020 2:07 pm
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member

Not yet 75 but wéll past my sell-by date and fitted with titanium replacement bits, have an 18 y.o. son.  I am more of a wild kid than him and he is often pretend embarrassed, really quite proud. It is almost weird; an 18 y.o. having his elderly father as heroe role model 😇 

As to fun and functionality I reallyréally appreciate japanese car culture; from the unpretending extravagance for looks only to the again unpretending mix of fun and functionality the amateur drifters.

I take the functionality of my car serious yet myself and the looks not at all; lóve winks/puns/homages to car history/culture, the steampunk you mentioned too: P.e. want to replace the hose clip on the intake rubber to MAF by a 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 30, 2020 2:21 pm
CSPIDY reacted
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @dblotii

@petrusTeh stock intake "trumpet" section is a venturi that does a good job of cutting down intake noise without hurting peak power (should be less than a 1 HP peak loss)

take apart any modern OEM air cleaner and you will see something similar in function of not shape

Dave

Thanks Dave.

I am aware and therefore kept it in place till now and stíll not all that gung ho to change it. I even quite like the ´design classic´ aspect of it! Even though invisible from the outside, Í know it´s there.  I only started pondering about it after the MAF mod and fitting the present exhaust; it is asked to pass over 10% more air now based on performance improvement. Quite prepaired to put it back though if the larger intake has a downside. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 30, 2020 2:38 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: