Share:
Notifications
Clear all

New Rally Yaris

Erdoc48
(@erdoc48)
Estimable Member

https://jalopnik.com/the-268-hp-2020-toyota-gr-yaris-is-the-wildest-rally-sp-1840924138

Probably not for the US market though, which is a shame- looks like it could be a lot of fun (but is very expensive)

Topic starter Posted : January 10, 2020 12:22 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I like it but a few things about it that I dont like. 

1. It should have been at least 200lbs lighter even with the all wheel drive. 

2.  It should be at least 5 grand cheaper to be viable in a segment dominated by the Civic R,  focus RS and WRX. 

3. It should have been a four cylinder.  I know they were going for weight savings and compactness with the three but it should have been a four so its not strained out and it could at least get to about 300hp safely or at least for future tunings.

Apart from that its nice to know that Toyota wants to do something interesting with less.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 10, 2020 12:43 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

270 hp with only 1.6 litres... even with all the extra caffeine injection tubes, is it small enough to fit in a Spyder?

Cylinder count is irrelevant to me if it is balanced. I could convert at least 200 of those HPs into some serious PermaGrin in The Frog.

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 10, 2020 5:15 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Looks like fun.... Beats the pants off of the Juke Nismo RS I've got my eyes on...

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 10, 2020 8:30 pm
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

It may be all that but, excuse me! It is ugly

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 11, 2020 11:02 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I love it. I'd daily it. I think it looks great too.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 11, 2020 7:43 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member
borat1

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 11, 2020 9:15 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

@CSPIDY

Not nearly as ugly as the CTR these days...

80fieckykxi21

It's just soooo overdone... 

Seems like they've decided to have a "spoiler" measuring contest with the STI. But why?

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 11, 2020 11:45 pm
dev reacted
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @marsrock7

@CSPIDY

Not nearly as ugly as the CTR these days...

80fieckykxi21

It's just soooo overdone... 

Seems like they've decided to have a "spoiler" measuring contest with the STI. But why?

I could not agree more. That thing just says, no, screams in a shrill, pre-pubescent voice "Lego spaceship". Those stupid little "engines" at the rear corners, especially. So many angles it can pee into the fourth dimension a little. Honda must have had a design contest at the local Kindergarten.

And that absurd spoiler just says "oh, yeah, I am definitely compensating for something..."

Juke still wins for simply looking like ass, though.  It looks like a two-ton [toy you would find at an adult entertainment shop]. I guess maybe Honda wanted to win the "looks like ass" contest too. Juke has some vom-petition now!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 12, 2020 12:41 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

I actually like the look of the Juke. It's weird for sure, but to a degree so is the Spyder. Looks aside, my eyes are on a Juke (RS specifically) for the higher output and fairly effeceint engine, more space for kiddos and their stuff, better starting power to weight than my TSX, ease of tunability, excellent handling, and 6MT w/LSD. That package just doesn't exist anywhere else these days. It doesn't even exist in the form of the Juke beyond 2017... 

Nissan Juke Nismo RS road test review 14
Nissan Juke Nismo RS road test review 17

And for the record, it's only a 1.5T adult toy. 😉

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 12, 2020 4:06 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Purely looks wise, I'd take the Juke NISMO over the Civic Type R any day. I dig the Juke NISMO. Hate the Type R. So much plastic, fake vents, etc. And you KNOW it's bad if the owner of a predator grill Lexus complains about fake venting. 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 12, 2020 8:57 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

@haloruler64

Agreed. There is just waaaay too much plastic on the CTR for looks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 12, 2020 9:28 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

@marsrock7

I knew there was more to it than looks, and normally I put function over form, but sometimes the form is just that off-putting to a person.

Admittedly, that one is dressed up nicely. CTR wins the contest, but not against the no-aero, stock Juke <shudder>.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2020 7:53 am
Share: