My current vehicle ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

My current vehicle situation - 2020

LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

As many of you may already know, I have been impatiently waiting for the right time to swap in a built 1ZZ into my MR-S.  I have gradually been buying parts or tools / equipment to make that job go smoothly.  That will eventually get done.

So, in the meantime, I was driving my daily driver, a 2013 FR-S that I've had since 2012.  I decided it would be a good idea to add a Kraftwerks supercharger kit to id because I wanted to go faster (as we all do I suspect).  So I did that over the x-mas season and while tuning, I guess I was a lot like Icarus and flew a little too close to the sun.  I now need to rebuild that engine.  Once rebuilt, I will be selling it in stock (or mostly stock) form.  It has really low mileage (45,6## right now) and is in great condition.  so with a freshly rebuilt motor, it should be a great vehicle for someone.

That left me with currently no truly reliable vehicle to drive on a daily basis.  If any of you guys have looked at any of the 2020 new cars out there, you won't find many exciting ones (At least ones that are below $50K).  So, I ended up buying a 2020 Subaru WRX STi in Arctic White Pearl (Apparently, I buy white cars.  That is my thing.  haha.

Threads are useless without pics so...

STi Ceramacrylix 01

And here is a pic of my current stable:

TresWhips

The FR-S is on ramps so it can sit on top of my scissor lift.

Overall, I like the STi.  It doesn't feel as fast as it is.  But it's definitely comfortable and handles REALLY well.  It's the first 4-door car I've owned (that I am the primary driver of.  This does not include my wife's SUVs that she's had).

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

Topic starter Posted : February 13, 2020 10:50 am
Patrick Lipp, CSPIDY, dev and 2 people reacted
Erdoc48
(@erdoc48)
Estimable Member

Looks like a very nice ride (all of them, actually)- did you see this article in which a dealer in CA is marking up an STi by $50K? It is a limited production, but that’s just nuts:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/32180/dealership-tacks-on-50000-markup-for-a-2019-subaru-wrx-sti-s209

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 13, 2020 4:51 pm
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

Thanks!

haha.  Ah yes.  The S209.  They are limited run vehicles and that dealer will likely be stuck with that car.  It's already priced about $10K over a Limited STi.  I'm sure it's faster, and a little snazzier.  But you are definitely NOT going to be able to negotiate a deal at the dealership on that one.  I haven't even seen one locally.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 14, 2020 2:59 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Thats ridiculous but it makes sense in todays world of marketing.  

I have found that bad press especially when its outlandish is good press for a marketing team. It gets the word out faster then advertising alone and it doesn't cost a dime.  

I also believe that when Elon broke that glass on the Cybertruck  it was a publicity stunt to get that ugly vehicle trending in the news. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 14, 2020 3:13 pm
Erdoc48
(@erdoc48)
Estimable Member

@dev

You might be right about the glass breakage thing...funny thing is (when I last checked which was when the CyberTruck first was displayed) they have orders for I think it was 250,000 of them already.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 15, 2020 10:40 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @erdoc48

@dev

You might be right about the glass breakage thing...funny thing is (when I last checked which was when the CyberTruck first was displayed) they have orders for I think it was 250,000 of them already.

Im quiet cynical when it comes to scams. Scams of this nature is nothing more than slide of hand with a desired outcome out the back door.  I can see them sitting around a board room conjuring it up with the premise that its believable because no one will believe the company would make them self look bad.  All this limited stuff or and extra level on top the most premium car are for people that as children had to have a better toy then the next kid.  

It reminds me of this.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 15, 2020 11:15 am
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

I've been low key looking at SC setups for my BRZ, but have mainly been looking at the roots style.  Were you tuning yourself? how much boost?

On the sti, anything that made you go for it over just a wrx?

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 16, 2020 11:42 am
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin
Posted by: @nocoolname

I've been low key looking at SC setups for my BRZ, but have mainly been looking at the roots style.  Were you tuning yourself? how much boost?

On the sti, anything that made you go for it over just a wrx?

I was doing remote tuning with James at HRI Tuning.  I was told he was the best with that stuff.  And things seemed to be going OK at first.  I'm not sure if it was his tuning or the motor was just too weak.  I'm not sure what boost it was running.  But apparently, it was too much.  Hopefully, the rebuild will be done somewhat quickly and I can just move past that.

I went with the STi because I'm wanting more of a turn-key type car for my daily driver.  It's simply better than the WRX in almost every way.  The only thing the WRX has on it is price.  And, luckily in this particular instance, that wasn't a blocker for me.  I'll maybe add a few bolt on mods and do a modest tune and be happy.  ... Or, I'll leave it stock and then buy something faster later on.  One big thing is that, since it's already fast, I am not wanting to modify it as much immediately.  Whereas with a regular WRX, I would be trying to get STi type results from the car when I could have just bought what I wanted. 

Maybe I'm just getting old.  hahaha.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 19, 2020 7:10 pm
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

Could be the motor was just weak.  It seems like a crapshoot on the FA20s on whether they'll blow up stock or hold 300+WHP or anywhere in between.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 23, 2020 12:00 pm
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin
Posted by: @nocoolname

Could be the motor was just weak.  It seems like a crapshoot on the FA20s on whether they'll blow up stock or hold 300+WHP or anywhere in between.

Yeah.  I seemed to have one of the weak ones, apparently.  Oh well, once I get it fixed up, this will be a great car for someone else.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 25, 2020 10:48 pm
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

Well, now the FR-S has a replacement motor that had 41K miles on it.  So the engine is actually newer / less mileage than the chassis at 45,6xx miles.  It's all back to stock (mostly) and I'm going to sell it once I can find a buyer.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 22, 2020 12:51 pm
Share: