Thoughts on the MK5...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Thoughts on the MK5 Supra

Page 1 / 2
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

I have some mixed feelings about the MK5 supra. My main issue is the external styling of the car; I just don't like it. I actually enjoyed the FT1 concept, but the toned down supra just isn't up to my liking. I have seen photos of all black, and I don't think it looks terrible, but most other colors look... dare I say off.. with the front bumper setup. I'm also not a fan of the "Brake Ducts" in the rear quarterpanels.. 

The engine, I actually quite like. With toyota not making inline 6's, I appreciate them maintaining the six cylinders by teaming up with BMW. Not to mention the very generous numbers i've heard the engine puts down which is way above the sticker.. very conservative numbers on paper with a lot extra when being tested. Also, being a BMW motor, we can expect the ability to hold decent power with basic modifications such as the N54/N55 and newer motors. 

What are your thoughts?

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

Topic starter Posted : June 24, 2019 2:19 pm
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

It's just a rebadged BMW M5.  Not much Supra about it.  Nearly EVERYTHING is BMW.

Hard PASS on it.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2019 2:24 pm
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

I actually like it (interior and exterior), and when tested, it made more HP than advertised.  Now would I buy one, probably not for the $'s they will sell for.

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2019 2:46 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

Fugly... 🤮 

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2019 3:34 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2019 4:08 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member
Posted by: NottaMiata
Mr. T didn't bring his best dog to the fight.

But he did bring a dog...

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2019 4:58 pm
joluthgo_2
(@joluthgo_2)
Eminent Member

In my opinion, the MkIV Supras were so popular because (after depreciation started setting in) they popped up on the used market, and were shockingly affordable for what they could be made INTO. Even the stock power specs were kind of "meh", but that golden 2jz engine could be boosted to hell without having to pull and build the engine, therefore making them the perfect tuner car. IIRC the MkIV supra was also kind of polarizing when it came to opinions of it's styling/appearance, but it passed the test of time.

I think if the MkV ends up being a similarly beefy stock motor, with a lot of upwards potential for tuning with minimal engine mods, and if depreciation brings them down to reasonable used-car prices they have a chance at being very popular in the future. That being said, the fact that it has "Supra" in the name may mean that they never get very cheap on the used market...

It's almost like the MkV is the victim of it's predecessor's success.

RALEIGH, NC
125k miles, Fortune Auto 500 Series Coilovers (4k/6k), Hard Top, 6spd w/ LSD, TTE Exhaust, TTE Spoiler, TTE Roll Bar
Advanti Storm S1 wheels in 16x8 with 205/45/r16 Continental ExtremeContact UHP All-Seasons

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 25, 2019 4:43 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 26, 2019 1:53 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

I think they could have done better. I've owned one fugly car in my life...a '62 Plymouth Valiant. I would not own a new Supra. I DO have some restraint.

Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 26, 2019 7:14 pm
(@chrioboy2)
Trusted Member

My experience with BMW cars is that they are made to fall apart after 5 years and your supposed to trade it in for a newer model so some other poor sap has to feed the repairmen. The interior quality of their vehicles can't even match a Toyota, they cover everything in cheap thin cloth and pray you have a climate controlled garage. The inside door components are void of linkage, they use cables and brittle plastic actuators. Most of the trim and fascia covers on BMWs are one use only, meaning if you take it off, it breaks and you need to buy a new one.

The infotainment system in the new supra is from the previous generation BMW  models while the new Z4 gets the latest and greatest of everything. If they were serious about the mk5 then they are trying to exploit a very misinformed market (see reddit).

If you check out the raw paper performance figures of the Zupr4 compared to an RC-F you'll notice they are basically the same, even the price tags. The Zupr4 gets you a cheaper lighter car with less suspension sophistication. I believe the Zupr4 is a Toyota PR stunt to showcase the proven race performance and quality of their Lexus vehicles. I would understand if they only used the BMW power plant but that is a car noob's pipe dream. The steering wheel even says BMW on it. It's hard to keep an open mind when you have the historical trauma of BMW cars.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 28, 2019 12:06 am
hello reacted
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member
Posted by: Galo

I think they could have done better. I've owned one fugly car in my life...a '62 Plymouth Valient. I would not own a new Supra. I DO have some restraint.

I thought it was ugly as well. I had a 4 door like the one pictured here (one shown is not my car) with the 170 cid engine. It ran suprisingly well and it was as reliable as corruption in politics! I decided I would keep it as a "beater" till it gave up the ghost. Ten years later it was 20 years old and ran perfectly. I sold it for more than I paid for it. You gotta love the old slant sixes!

1962 v200

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 28, 2019 4:16 am
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member
Posted by: DesertWanderer
Posted by: Galo

I think they could have done better. I've owned one fugly car in my life...a '62 Plymouth Valient. I would not own a new Supra. I DO have some restraint.

I thought it was ugly as well. I had a 4 door like the one pictured here (one shown is not my car) with the 170 cid engine. It ran suprisingly well and it was as reliable as corruption in politics! I decided I would keep it as a "beater" till it gave up the ghost. Ten years later it was 20 years old and ran perfectly. I sold it for more than I paid for it. You gotta love the old slant sixes!

1962 v200

Mine was in a desperate time in my mid 20's. It had 4 doors, and started every time I turned the key. The only real problem was the distributor wouldn't stay put, but the car served me well for 2-3 years...but it was, is fugly 😐 

Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2019 11:48 am
(@wilcomr-s)
Estimable Member

Can't get my head around what Toyota and many others are asking for their cars.

For less money there is an insanely low mileage Alfa 4C Track package near me. Drove a friends and really loved the car. It was the updated mid ship car that Toyota should have made.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2019 7:40 am
chrioboy2 reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I seen the new Supra at the auto show earlier this year. Its even uglier in person.  It has two kinds of ugly. Dated front end and too many lines which disrupts the styling. 

There is nothing wrong with lines if used correctly but here the math doesn't work. In art and photography there are certain principles that are as old as the universe and this breaks all of the rules. You can have something that is ugly that  has a hidden beauty about it or something that is radically different and controversial like the Spyder design that you grow into but this thing is just ugly like Spyderchat and no matter how much the Admins tell you that it takes time to adjust, its not happening. 

I remember in the 90s when the new Supra came out and it was fantastical. The design was revolutionary along with its rivals where everyone upped their game and made real GT cars to compete with the 911.  This car is just a throwback that the industry wants to capitalize on like the Terminator series.  The first Terminator might have been low budget and the animation laughable but it's the best one they made because it had good movie sequencing and heart.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2019 10:05 am
WilcoMR-S reacted
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I love it actually. I was the first person to talk trash about it, hated the partnership with BMW (still don't like it). But after more and more info came out, and people's impressions started rolling in... it's grown on me. It's a solid daily. It's a great performer. It has a decent interior. It looks great (subjective but I find it very attractive). It's been built for mods, but also great stock. I'm into it. I'd lease one.

The Giulia Quadrifoglio trash. See all the countless issues everyone is having with them. Buying an Alfa with warranty is like putting a noose around your neck. Buying one without a warranty is like attaching that noose to a speed boat. Even with a warranty, you'll be wasting your time in and out of dealerships with crappy Dodge loaners. Plus it's $25k more expensive than a Supra. 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2019 2:42 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: