Share:
Notifications
Clear all

I hate Anti-Lag

scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member

I understand why it exists, but I hate how it's actually used.

Basically, it's just used for shock value.  And to be fair, every group of automobile enthusiasts has something to be obnoxious about (please look at me!)

1. Lifted truck Guys: Coal Rolling, Air Horns, Double Parking

2. MR2 Guys: Hitting Lift in a Tunnel, Loud Exhaust, Defying physics and annoying other cars who can't hang

3. Mustang / Charger / Challenger Guys: Existing

But the worst of the worst are the anti-lag assholes.  In Hollywood it's always the same dude.  Flat plasti-dipped Benz.  Speed with nowhere to go.  I swear they've tuned it for particular gun shot sounds for added effect.  It's not the regular turbo gurgle.  They figured out how to make it 2 large gunshots.  Anti-lag guys are assholes.

scottsmods.com

Topic starter Posted : July 30, 2020 4:41 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

As for number 2  hitting lift in a tunnel or bridge, guilty.  In my defense I get pleasure from hearing it and its not just for others.  There is small bridge where people are out fishing and when I hit lift a few times people yelled out and complemented. In a short tunnel like on Skyline drive I did it with a Spyder driver in the back that got out of his car and was jumping for joy when we pulled over and couldn't get over how nice it  sounded behind him wanting to do a 2ZZ swap.  One time while waiting in traffic on the highway under a large bridge a guy in his truck next to me said his girlfriend liked my car and I didn't know if it was an insult or not but he asked me to rev it up so I did and the looks on their faces was priceless. 

Having said that there is a dam about 10 miles from my house and on top of it a bridge I would hit lift when I go there because the retaining walls would reverberate the noise which sounded glorious.  Last Saturday I went with another Spyder owner (without our Spyders) to shoot some photography of the dam and for some landscape shots. Across from the dam there are some gardens I did not know about so we went to explore that area.  While we were doing so an EVO with a loud exhaust decided to accelerate on the bridge  and it was painfully obnoxious.   I then realized how some people actually feel about it.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2020 8:38 am
marsrock7 and scotched reacted
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Guilty. I mean I don't have lift but I make sure to rev it out in tunnels. 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2020 6:44 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Hahaha.... Being an avid member of class #2... I love to pick on #1 and #3.

The big trucks (Hur dur) sometimes have the power to back up their obscenity, but I've yet to come across one that didn't have to slam the brakes before entering a highway bend.... Whereas I keep my foot buried in the throttle and slide on by. 

For new school American muscle.... (mostly) only the boosted ones can put down the 2zz Spyder. There is good power in most of them but the cars themselves are just so damn heavy.... Challenger and Charger RT owners are my favorites.... 375hp, 400+ftlbs.... I'm sure that power feels good from the drivers seat.... But the cars weigh 4200+lbs! They always want to dominate this tiny little girly car.... And the looks on their faces are priceless when they can't. 

Mustangs are in their own dept.... There are so many that look/sound the part and they usually aren't. I have come across a handful of them thou that are neat and clean, and follow me through the bends surprisingly well. Moreso than any other American vehicle. 

A buddy of mine has a G37.... And somehow with less power than the RTs it is harder for me to keep up with in a straight line. I can only jeep up with him if we start from a roll point where I am already in lift. If he spent some money on suspension and sticky rubber he might even be able to keep up with me in the corners... But he'd rather drift 🙄

I try to keep my exhaust noise as modest as I can without compromising flow through 2.5in pipe... But there's only so much to be done. I definitely like to kit lift through tunnels and under bridges.... Not for others.... For me. I know it bothers some but oh well...

Thankfully I haven't come across these newer anti-lag noisemakers.... But then again, here we have to deal with idiots on the highway with "swangas" wheels 😡

https://jalopnik.com/if-youre-wondering-what-those-ben-hur-wheel-spikes-are-1823893049

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2020 11:13 pm
scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member

But there are only so many tunnels ... and only for so long.

Anti-lag is annoying all the time, except when it's actually being used the way it's meant to be used.

scottsmods.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 31, 2020 7:34 pm
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

to add, the pop and crackle tunes people use now.  Some tuners actually charge for that garbage and all they do is throw fuel and retard the timing in cells that you would hit in decel.  I hate them as much as the kid popping off the 2 step or antilag in the parking lot.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2020 11:12 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

It seems that some manufactures have programed their cars to have that crackle.  I use to think manufactures were somewhat sensible but its not so true anymore.  Anything to sell a cars to  posers. 

I found out from one of my photography forums that younger photographers are interested in vintage lenses which had me curious. It turns out that its not what it appears to be. They are hipsters that are interested in how stylish It is to show up to a Starbucks with a vintage lens attached to their camera for the cool factor. 

You come to realize in life there are two types of people in this world. People who follow their passions where ever it might lead with an understanding and people who want to impress others with what is trendy to get likes.  Trying to be different is not how it works.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2020 11:40 am
marsrock7 and nocoolname reacted
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

I started losing hope when manufacturers made performance cars so quiet they piped in intake noise or played fake engine noise to give a better 'feel'.

The lens hipsters are the same type of people ruining many hobbies.  People are just chasing likes and attention from people they've never met and never will on social media platforms as a validation that they're cool, popular, or people actually respect them or their opinions. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2020 1:21 pm
marsrock7 and dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @nocoolname

I started losing hope when manufacturers made performance cars so quiet they piped in intake noise or played fake engine noise to give a better 'feel'.

The lens hipsters are the same type of people ruining many hobbies.  People are just chasing likes and attention from people they've never met and never will on social media platforms as a validation that they're cool, popular, or people actually respect them or their opinions. 

These people are dead inside and its not just the young people the old are just as bad.  It's  one thing if you are just staring out and trying to explore the hobby at a basic ignorant level as we have all been there but that is not what is happening. The world is now based on mostly worthless Amazon and Youtube reviewers. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2020 2:06 pm
nocoolname reacted
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

I don't know what Anti-Lag is, nor do I know what "hitting lift" means.

I admit I accelerate through tunnels and enjoy the sound car makes, but I don't rev or blip the throttle unnecessarily.  

I do the same thing on my motorcycle.  It's got a nice throaty sound but I don't rap it out WOT with the clutch pulled in trying to impress anybody.  I could really care less what others think.

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2020 2:21 pm
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

@pwnzor

Simply, anti-lag is when you're intentionally causing afterfires to either spool the turbo so that it builds pressure and you start off the line in boost, or to keep the turbo spooled between gear changes to keep in the power.  It also causes flames, pops and gunshot like sounds while it's happening.

Lift is when the 2zz hits the cam changeover and is very noticeable in the exhaust tone.  Similar to when "vtec kicks in yo".  It's just revving out the car in a tunnel pretty much for the simple self satisfaction of hearing the car in that kind of acoustic environment.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2020 2:39 pm
pwnzor reacted
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member

@pwnzor

Ah, ´motorcycle´ reminds me of mid seventies on my fifties Norton 77 Domi; SS cams, high compression pistons, simplest of bell mouths on the unfiltered entry, two-in-one undamped megaphone and I mean real trumpep, no reverse cone. Going full bore at 130-140 hm/h down the Velsertunnel; about a third down the ramp shut down the trotthle.... ROOAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR till the bottom and then full bore again. Mán, on that overrun it was like tearing off the tarmac along the dotted line. Different times though.....

Tofay I feel as much guilty as I enjoy the racy exhaust I have fitted. Just the occasional pop/bang which I do not particularly care for as it is mainly at little/no throttle thus  drawing attention when you don´t want to.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2020 12:25 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

@petrus 4-2-4 Lazer Xtreme exhaust on a 2006 Kawasaki Z1000, PCIII, K&N air filter, and a few other special modifications.  It sounds really good without being super loud.

bldmtn1

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2020 2:45 pm
(@wilcomr-s)
Estimable Member

I had it on a street driven rally car a very long time ago. 

It was on the car when I got it and taken off of it about a month later. Seems a bit senseless in a place that got so much snow. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2020 7:17 pm
Share: