Clear all

Holy Crap! What is wrong with America? Cannot find a truck for ACTUAL WORK

Page 2 / 3
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @desertwanderer

My 2004 Forerunner (4.7L V8) is near 400,000 miles with no repairs, just maintenance. Flawless, I love the fact that they are on a truck frame. Great find!

That is impressive but not surprising. These Toyota V8s last forever and you see them everywhere still road worthy and holding their value and status. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2021 10:58 am
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @nottamiata

No, nobody besides Toyota makes trucks or cars

a little hyperbolic I think. decades of problem free use with chevy trucks. No $1,2000 anything

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2021 11:19 am
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @dev

Does anyone know why this old Toyota truck has become a collectors item. 

dims

I would like to have one! They are popular in Texas as well.

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2021 12:09 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @desertwanderer

Does anyone know why this old Toyota truck has become a collectors item. 

dims

I would like to have one! They are popular in Texas as well.

Popular in Hill Valley California and popular with terrorists.  If you want to win a war give your enemy Land Rovers. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2021 1:44 pm
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

Popular in Hill Valley California

hee hee hee

https://www.playmobil.us/back-to-the-future-martys-pick-up-truck/70633.html

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 15, 2021 11:37 am
dev reacted
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

@t-bone 

Yes, you may have noticed my penchant for the use of hyperbole as a tool to deliver sarcasm by now?

A Silverado was going to be my first choice of second-place -- and we all know that second-place is the first-place loser -- if I couldn't find a Toyota, and I am not just saying that so you wouldn't flame me.  Nissan was a very distant third, but I didn't even research it and wasn't planning to, as it was just a Plan C and the best reviews come up "meh".  Plan C is basically desperation and indicates that Plan A and B were not probably implemented correctly.

As I have said, a Ford was right out, unless someone essentially gave me one.  I realize I had a lemon two decades ago and they can't possibly all be that bad (or can they?), but one bad experience can create a big superstitious avoidance, and I still have that.  It was bad enough to taint my opinion of all American vehicles, but I am the first to admit that is completely illogical, there's no need to pile on.

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 16, 2021 6:50 am
T-bone reacted
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

@desertwanderer ,

Lots of stories like this and many nods to the durability of the V8, but hearing it from someone I sorta know, a little bit, kinda, is very encouraging and reassuring. 

Built on the truck chassis was something I liked about it too since a trailer is planned, and the Mrs. and I have talked about buying a small camper from time to time over the years.  Only problem with the truck chassis, like I said, is that it doesn't have that snappy feel like an MR2.  You can't have everything, I guess.

Thank you.

Here are some pictures from the ad.  While I support any and all uniformed people who serve our society, as well as loving America as much as anyone who lives here and enjoys our freedoms and lifestyle should, I will be removing the thin blue lines and the flags.  The flags are actually opaque and create a blind spot; I get enough of the joy of blind spots from the Spyder and I don't need that on a truck that's twice as big.

4883bd660011c449c5b8fd42283b2b20.jpeg.max600
a4c98a16dddbe84ba50fafef20f4e045.jpeg.max600
233a103469d17f4e0ef6333521e32de6.jpeg.max600
30aa713e8da1e2cd102e167a6fb4bbef.jpeg.max600
75fe60a34189f32e6f16cc9db2dadbdf.jpeg.max600
141a364fa9048f622baffd29a2eae104.jpeg.max600

Only one real problem remains: what shall I name her?  "Itsy Bitsy" is already taken.  Moby?

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 16, 2021 7:14 am
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

Every time I need to get a new truck I spend a whole bunch of time looking for a Toyota and end up getting a Nissan

no regrets

next time I will start looking for a Nissan

spend less money and get a very good truck

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 18, 2021 10:44 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

This was posted today. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 20, 2021 4:39 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

I really try not to flame people, but oh my goodness, Scotty's presentation is so annoying to me.  My ears are bleeding from watching/listening to just a few minutes of his stuff.  Not complaining about your post, Dev -- just Scotty's presentation of information.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 20, 2021 5:10 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

I blocked that channel on my YouTube a couple years back. Life's been a bit better since. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 20, 2021 11:09 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

His videos are worse than annoying. They can be straight up dangerous. So much bad or faulty advice. I cannot recommend anyone watch Scotty Kilmer, for information or entertainment.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 21, 2021 4:03 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

If it annoys people so much I removed it. While I agree that Scotty has become annoying with his presentation especially his click baiting style most of the other YouTube car presenters are not much better. Regarding his information about industry news, trends and recalls it’s actually spot on. His diagnostic approach is also good for fixing commonly occurring issues. I don’t expect anyone to be without fault however I don’t depend on any one  persons advice for anything but unfortunately there are many that do and that is foolish because that shows a lack wisdom. It is always a good idea to double check your sources and hear opposing views. 

Most information should be taken as food for thought so you can be pointed in the right direction.
 I take the good with the bad because it is very difficult to get good information these days since most of the automotive journalists are not of the same caliber as the ones that have retired. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 21, 2021 7:48 am
Rukushin
(@rukushin)

LOL my wife just discovered Scotty Kilmer and loves him for some reason. I don't mind him, but I don't go crazy watching all his videos. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 21, 2021 1:13 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @rukushin

LOL my wife just discovered Scotty Kilmer and loves him for some reason. I don't mind him, but I don't go crazy watching all his videos. 

You take the good with the bad and not everyone is going to like the guy. Actually the more popular you are there will be a fan following of hatters and that is fine also. I do not like the way he click bates especially when he has strong opinions about companies that are disingenuous with their marketing. 

Off late he has been producing documentary style videos of the history of various vehicle manufactures. I think they are very good and professional done and it seems like someone makes the video and he does the scripted voice over unlike his usual stuff.  there is no one else that is doing it except for 20 year old history channel documentary that is out of date.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 21, 2021 1:47 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share: