Share:
Notifications
Clear all

918 Porsche Spyder (its a Spyder!)

Page 1 / 4
VintageSC
(@vintagesc)
Eminent Member

I had the unique opportunity to see this hybrid beauty today, hear it run and do a photo shoot as publicity for an upcoming car show in downtown Fort Worth.  We do an annual benefit car show and the owner kindly allowed us to put his car in a prime location at the show.

http://wheelsforwellness.org/

This topic was modified 5 years ago 3 times by VintageSC

2002 Mellow Yellow

Topic starter Posted : September 12, 2019 6:43 pm
VintageSC
(@vintagesc)
Eminent Member
918   1 of 6
918   4 of 6
918   6 of 6
918   2 of 6
918   5 of 6
918   1 of 6

2002 Mellow Yellow

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 12, 2019 6:45 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

It is a beautiful car. If money were no issue... I'd own a 918 for fun drives, and a Spyker C8 for cruising. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 12, 2019 7:25 pm
VintageSC reacted
(@hello)
Reputable Member

Meh. Porsche is vastly overrated and has been a joke since they introduced a suv. That just screams we care more about making $$ than cars. Also finger to VW. So bad at making cars that they need to cheat emissions for 200hp lol.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 12, 2019 10:41 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member
Posted by: @hello

Meh. Porsche is vastly overrated and has been a joke since they introduced a suv. That just screams we care more about making $$ than cars. Also finger to VW. So bad at making cars that they need to cheat emissions for 200hp lol.

Have you driven a modern Boxster or Cayman? If you would, you might change your mind. Far from overrated and far from a joke. Kinda sucky on paper, amazing machines in practice. Them offering SUVs on VW platforms to make more money to funnel into their still 100% unique sports cars is a smart business move. 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2019 12:11 am
hello, Nelix and VintageSC reacted
Nelix
(@nelix)
Estimable Member

I'm glad you think my 718 is vastly overrated as it tells me two things about you.

1. You have never driven one.

2. You like to spout shite on the internet.

fullsizeoutput bf7

Cranky, cantankerous, sarcastic Scottish git whose interests are beer, cars, motorbikes and scuba diving.
Currently driving a 2018 sapphire blue Porsche 718 Boxster and riding a 2020 BMW S1000R Sport..

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2019 8:59 am
VintageSC reacted
 Dave
(@dave)
Trusted Member

In my opinion, you don't know jack-shit about cars, or style. 

Dave

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2019 9:06 am
Nelix and VintageSC reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Everyone can have an opinion about someone else opinion but lets keep any personal attacks to a minimum and focus on the company and the products for which the opinion was made. 

Now here is mine.  

I love Porsche, If I didn't buy the Spyder I was desperately looking for a 944 Cabriolet which would have held its value but the reality is it wouldn't have driven as well as the Spyder or hold up as well mechanically which would have cost a small fortunate to maintain.  

My Brother in law bought a brand new Boxster S  In 2001 and that car was nice however I felt that it was way too heavy and dull compared to the Spyder. It was refined like a luxury car but I wish they would have made it a little more raw and basic. 

As for their SUV and passenger car line I hate it but I see it as a necessary evil to keep the car afloat because they need posers of the brand to buy these products to keep real enthusiasts for their flagship cars well funded which I think are amazing.  

It would have been nice if Porsche made a stripped down light weight car reminiscent of the original  Speedster. It doesn't have to have a lot of power just something that is simple like the Elise.    

Cars today are way over complicated and I wish they would come down to basics. The MR2 Spyder and the MX-5 is probably the last of the bare bones sports car. I will have to look else where and pick up a kit.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2019 9:36 am
VintageSC reacted
Nelix
(@nelix)
Estimable Member

Dev, trust me, that was me keeping it to a minimum . 😉 

Cranky, cantankerous, sarcastic Scottish git whose interests are beer, cars, motorbikes and scuba diving.
Currently driving a 2018 sapphire blue Porsche 718 Boxster and riding a 2020 BMW S1000R Sport..

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2019 9:42 am
VintageSC reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @nelix

Dev, trust me, that was me keeping it to a minimum . 😉 

I did not see anything wrong with any of the exchanges.  I think its perfectly fine to say to someone you don't know jack about a subject. I personally think it should be followed by why which focuses on the topic because it brings about interesting discussion.  

I was just setting the tone so it doesn't escalate but I would like to hear both sides of the argument and calling someone obtuse is perfectly fine. There is a fine line between expressing harsh opinion and devolving into name calling for whomever piles on and goes too far.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2019 10:05 am
 Dave
(@dave)
Trusted Member

I modified my post so that it hopefully is more in line with the forum's standards. 

Dave

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2019 12:18 pm
VintageSC reacted
(@hello)
Reputable Member

lol no I have never driven a porsche nor could you pay me enough to drive one. Well maybe for $1 billion. Maybe not. Does it perform better than my spyder? Sure, only costs 10000000x more. And I can't even drive it much. And if I do, it spends more time in the shop than the road lol. If I want something that spends more time sitting, I would've gotten an Exige 240. 

And no comments on emissions eh. I am level negative 100 and I can probably pass emissions without cheating.

@nelix You don't actually drive it. I golf twice a year but I totally golf.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2019 1:12 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Sounds like a case of the sour grapes.   

I do admire Porsches and even if I could afford one it still would not be a replacement for or an upgrade from the Spyder or a MX-5 as they are uniquely different than everything out there and thats what makes them special.  

However a Porsche would be a great car to stand on its own merits for the segment it competes in.  Even though the new Corvette will get all of the attention there is something about a German cars character  that just cant be replicated by  other manufactures.    

Its like owning a Le Corbusier lc2 chair.   

When I went to the auto show earlier this year I was disappointed with most of the manufactures but when I came into the Porsche booth I was not.  It appeared that they were sticking with stunning styling and it just seemed to distinguish its self from other manufactures sport offerings.  Everything seemed to be much higher quality from the early and late 2000 911s which were cheaply made in my opinion.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2019 1:46 pm
VintageSC reacted
(@hello)
Reputable Member

If you had a R34, MKIV, S14/15, S660, Beat, 7 or even a Diablo VT6, that will be sour grapes. Porsche lololol nah. I mean how do I get jealous when I am driving my car and yours is in the shop?? Also I love how no one except Halo posited an argument. Then again fanboys gonna fanboy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2019 5:30 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Porsches are relatively reliable outside of a few common issues specific to certain models. I have a colleague who dailied her Boxster S for years with no issues. The things you are saying really show that you don't know much about the cars. They're not super unreliable. 

Also your focus on performance is odd. Yes, they don't perform on paper like other cars in their segment. But neither does the MR2, because out of the box it's a mediocre performer. I thought an MR2 owner of all people would understand driving feel, dynamics, and pure joy over performance figures. And I think Porsche delivers that. And this is coming from someone who paid no mind to Porsche, never particularly liked them, until I had a base 2016 Boxster for a day. Even with its anemic engine, I fell in love.

I think people edged away from posting counter points because you didn't speak in a way that fosters discussion. Your words were intentionally inflammatory and ignorant. I think seeing what you said doesn't really display a desire to have a discussion in good faith. 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2019 5:53 pm
hello, marsrock7, Nelix and 1 people reacted
Page 1 / 4
Share: