Anyone following this guys progress?

Topic starter Posted : June 11, 2020 4:02 pm
LordTakuban reacted
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

I am now!

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 11, 2020 4:10 pm
(@wilcomr-s)
Estimable Member

3d Printing has come such a long ways. Especially with the price of printers, Nylon x, metal printing, etc.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 11, 2020 4:15 pm
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

Wow, that was pretty incredible!  It makes me feel like I'm just wasting away not doing anything with my Prusa MK3s.  hahaha.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 15, 2020 12:45 pm
WilcoMR-S reacted
(@wilcomr-s)
Estimable Member

Yeah, I have an Ender 3 Pro that hasn't been used in a while either.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 15, 2020 3:21 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

My 3D printer has seen a lot of use and I modified the hell out of it. Im surprised its still working.  

There is not much you can actually do with most 3D printers except trinkets as its more or less a novelty but when the time comes for some sort  of replacement part to make something to come together there is nothing like it and then the printer gathers dust. 

In an almost perfect world where Chinese goods are so cheap and Amazon is quick to deliver it makes 3D printer stuff pointless but it can be fun to download a  vacuum cleaner attachment that has a long nozzle to suck the trapped lint out a dryer that is hard to reach. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 15, 2020 3:40 pm
WilcoMR-S reacted
(@wilcomr-s)
Estimable Member

Marked Forge and some others offer printers for doing metal but they are still so insanely expensive.

Nylon X was a good start but still not there yet.

Now for checking designs before being sent to a machine shop it is pretty useful.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 15, 2020 3:56 pm
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @wilcomr-s

Marked Forge and some others offer printers for doing metal but they are still so insanely expensive.

Nylon X was a good start but still not there yet.

Now for checking designs before being sent to a machine shop it is pretty useful.

The stuff Im using which is the Taulman Alloy 910 is fantastic material. Its a nylon but without the downfalls of nylon being too flexible. I could easily make an AR-15 lower that will not crack but still rigid enough for accuracy.  I wouldn't because its illegal to do so (CYA).   The stuff is easy on nozzle wear and it does not leave behind contaminants that will jam the hot end neck.  In fact they use nylon filament to clean up hot ends.     

Everyone is fixated on exotic carbon reinforcement stuff when Alloy 910 is virtually indestructible. Its so hard to sand.  

Printing with it so it doesn't warp and come off the bed is very difficult but I solved it with lots of experimentation.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 15, 2020 4:12 pm
WilcoMR-S reacted
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

I have used mine to make some radio brackets in PETG that hold up to the heat inside a car for the 86 platform so people can run the Chinese Android HU's.  So far, I've only sold 1, but I mainly made them for myself when I had that car.  My big "product" is a hamster wheel stabilizer.  I've sold quite a few on Etsy and that was mainly to solve a problem for my daughter's hamster's wheel.

I do make functional items and print them as well as random trinket things.  It's nice to be able to quickly design and solve a problem and now that I have a decent printer (My previous one was a Monoprice Wanhau clone and was a PITA to level the bed properly and keep it that way).  This Prusa is really nice and the magnetic detachable build plates and auto bed leveling make it really easy to use by comparison.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 15, 2020 5:05 pm
dev and WilcoMR-S reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

I'm not computer savvy enough,  but I'd love to take a 3D picture with my Samsung galaxy 10 plus of my die-cast mr2 spyder and 3D print minerature versions to use as Christmas tree ornaments.  That just seems like it would be fun.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 15, 2020 5:55 pm
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Funny thing is when I got printer I was disappointed with what you can and cannot do. I also felt that the hobby of 3D printing as fascinating as it is like the old days of tinkering with PC computers was not my thing. Fortunately I had a purpose and that was to make those door bushings so I took the training wheels off and went deep into it by reflashing,  hacking, programming, calibrating and tearing up a printer to modify it with state of the art parts. Google searches was my glossary. Got involved with the 3D printing community with little help because I was at a level where no one knows for sure so I had to figure it out on my own with a lot of frustration.  
The sad part is if I had to do a major fix to the machine Im just going to strip it for parts and EBay the rest. I would have to relearn everything I forgot and I don’t want to go through it again. It’s just not my kind of hobby. I would rather take photographs. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 15, 2020 9:55 pm
Refirendum
(@refirendum)
Trusted Member

3d printing is a prototyper's best friend.  If you're making or developing physical products that have to function and fit and look a certain way, there's really no substitute.
I do have functional prints in my car, like a replacement seat adjustment knob that's printed out of ABS, and i prototyped some steering rack wide track spacers to check for fit on an inner tierod before sending the design to be CNC'd from high strength steel.

Anyways, i should try to print one of these transmission models sometime. maybe at a smaller scale though, since i don't have that much space.

03 spyder

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 17, 2020 4:56 pm
WilcoMR-S reacted
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

As long as I have the 3D Printer Spyder people here, has any one been able to reproduce the hardtop triangles that always seem to disappear? MikeV was making them for a while but he has been real quiet lately.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 17, 2020 6:46 pm
Refirendum
(@refirendum)
Trusted Member

i can try. anyone wanna send me a roll of black TPU filament?

03 spyder

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2020 2:20 pm
(@murray)

Anyone who can copy the trim piece for the hardtop has my undying gratitude, as well as an order for several pairs. Remember that there is a right and left side piece. They are the same shape, but opposite in fitment(mirror image).

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2020 9:12 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: