Notifications
Clear all

What are your favourite major roads?

Page 1 / 4
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

Drove the tail of the dragon for the 1st time a few weeks back. 2 turns in I realised I needed to get serious and I had a blast gunning it through the turns.

But, it got me thinking, what other roads are worth taking a detour for?

My list is as follows:

Florida Coastal Highway (beautiful. Goes through forest and along the beach)

Tail of the Dragon

Scenic highway in eastern kentucky, into the red river george. Goes through a one lane tunnel

Road that drops into Seneca Rocks WV (super steep grade with hairpins)

Bronx River Parkway (new york) at night with no traffic

I live in WV but i get around the east coast a lot. Don't let that limit your suggestions though!

Of course, there are all my local back roads that are pretty intense but that's a little out of the scope of this post.

Topic starter Posted : April 4, 2020 1:25 pm
dev reacted
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

Hwy 1 In California. Fabulous! I go twice a year from central Texas pretty much from outside of LA to SF. In the last 13 years I have taken the trip 25 times and I have enjoyed each one.

Stay Safe!

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 4, 2020 1:38 pm
Uncle Mush reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I like my own local back roads. Over the years I put together a nice short and long track.  Two years ago when we had a meet I missed a turn and to my surprise I found more. 
It’s certainly not the dragon which I have been on but enjoyable. I’m very fortunate because it feels like my own private roller coaster. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 4, 2020 1:55 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

All of the good back roads are at least an hour away from me, north or west to get into the Hill Country. There are several twisty roads closer but most are poorly maintained. 

The big ones, which I have not gone out to yet (but should now that there is time) is the Twisted Sisters. It's not as intense as the Tail of the Dragon (also haven't experienced), but I'm really looking forward to this day trip:

d760b10e08e5155cfa3482d125c8ca10
ReplyQuote
Posted : April 4, 2020 3:24 pm
neomr2 reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Thanks for starting this thread.  I am very fortunate to live in California where we have Highway 1 up and down the coast of California, but the Sierra Nevada are in my backyard and there are hundreds of miles of twisties to enjoy.  Here's a snapshot from 2017 -- in the distant background are the Sierra Nevada -- near the section of mountains where Mt. Whitney is located.  I just realized that I don't have that many pics of favorite roads because usually when I am driving, I'm having too much fun to remember to get out and take snapshots.

20170212 133321

Yosemite meet in 2012 -- doesn't show twisties, but it sure was pretty!

Tunnel View 2
Waterfall 1

DSCN4632
ReplyQuote
Posted : April 4, 2020 3:39 pm
pwnzor and neomr2 reacted
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

@uncle-mush

Wow! That last photo combines my two favourite things. Big rocks and MR2s. Mind if I use it as a desktop background or print it to use as a poster?

Big goal of mine to make a roadtrip out to yosemite. I'll have to check out those  twisties for myself. What road is the picture near the sierra nevadas taken on?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 5, 2020 9:26 am
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

@desertwanderer

HWY 1 huh? Ive never been out to the golden coast before but its on the list. Must be an amazing drive if you make it twice a year.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 5, 2020 9:28 am
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

@marsrock7

Just looked it up. Seems like it would definitely be worth the trip! Local back roads are always super fun but i feel you on road conditions. Lots of gravel and sand trucks spill on the corners around here.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 5, 2020 9:32 am
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)
Posted by: @ria

@uncle-mush

Wow! That last photo combines my two favourite things. Big rocks and MR2s. Mind if I use it as a desktop background or print it to use as a poster?

Big goal of mine to make a roadtrip out to yosemite. I'll have to check out those  twisties for myself. What road is the picture near the sierra nevadas taken on?

I would consider it an honor for you to use that photo.  If you want, send me a PM with your email address and I'll email the photo to you.  That is the one taken on the floor of Yosemite valley that has the 3 Spyders - white, yellow and silver, right?   Lots and lots of twisties in California -- in the Sierra and on the coast.  If you do make it out this way and you are so inclined, let me know in advance and see if we can have a mini-Spyder meet.  Also, there are lots of little boutique wineries all over California.  If you enjoy good wine, that is another plus for making the trip out here.  Just don't enjoy the wine and the driving at the same time. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 5, 2020 1:22 pm
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

This thread is an inspiration. I think I'm finally going to service my car today.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 5, 2020 2:02 pm
marsrock7 and Uncle Mush reacted
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

As I was born and raised in Southern California, I love driving up to Big Bear (round trip is about a 100 mile drive if you do the 18-38 loop)

and Lake Arrowhead (round trip is about a 50 mile drive if you do the 18-330 loop). The problem is that it takes over an hour on the freeway just to get to the base of the mountain. Of course the Angeles Crest Highway drive is always nice. Wish they could repair Hwy 39, but it will never happen.

I am too chicken to do Ortega Highway. Too many crazys and fatalities. 

If I just wanna have fun and cruise, I have all the Beaches along Pacific Coast Highway.  That is a blast with the top down on a nice day. I may not see that for a while here in Calif cause of the Coronavirus lock-down. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 5, 2020 5:42 pm
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

@dev

Might as well! What are you thinking of working on?

I feel like there is always something that can use tweaking. Right now I need to do some rust/ paint correction and I need to put my plastics back on. Got state inspection coming up so I need to run through that checklist too. I think this year I shouldn't need to do anything except double checking my exhaust for leaks.

@mrsponz

Ortega has some interesting stories to go with it. Apparently its haunted. I'd drive it at night haha.

----------------

I appreciate everyone throwing out some recommendations! We may not be able to get out too much right now, but might as well make plans for the future. It's a shame though because I've got 2 weeks off work right now due to good Friday and the nature of my shift haha. I could have made a trip to California and back. But I'll still enjoy my time off just the same.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 5, 2020 7:30 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @ria

@dev

Might as well! What are you thinking of working on?

I feel like there is always something that can use tweaking. Right now I need to do some rust/ paint correction and I need to put my plastics back on. Got state inspection coming up so I need to run through that checklist too. I think this year I shouldn't need to do anything except double checking my exhaust for leaks.

Funny you mentioned that.  Just about every year before I put the Spyder in storage something needs to be fixed in the Spring.  This year I did so well with the car from the last 3 years keeping on top of maintenance that I just need an oil change and I should be on my way.  Just a little down with all of this corona virus stuff as it’s heart breaking watching the news.  I will get to it as I have everything I need. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 5, 2020 7:45 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @mrsponz

I am too chicken to do Ortega Highway.

Don't be.  It's a great road, and has been mostly resurfaced so it's very smooth.  The fatalities generally happen on the weekend.  Go during the week and you'll have a good time.  Do yourself a favor and stop at The Lookout for breakfast or lunch.  The service is very friendly and the food is excellent.

IMG 20200227 102927859 HDR
IMG 20200227 102857855 HDR
IMG 20200227 102837447 HDR

I was just there a few weeks ago, drove out from Georgia to see my son in the hospital.  Ortega was conveniently in between where I was staying and the hospital where he was admitted so I got to drive it in both directions for 6 days straight.

On the way home, took some very fun twisty roads through northern Arizona.

IMG 20200229 153110473
IMG 20200301 090743153 HDR

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 6, 2020 9:40 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I changed to oil today and started the car. Let it idle for 15 minutes and shut it down. 
I will be taking it for it’s maiden voyage Wednesday.  I forgot how loud it is. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 6, 2020 7:14 pm
Page 1 / 4
Share: