What are you listening to today?

Page 5 / 15
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @richardraley

I'm listening to ZZ top, CCR or Lynyrd Skynyrd

I couldn't listen to 80 % of the links in this thread, sorry.  I guess I'm to old for that stuff.

I also like all three. Im trying to explore more ZZ Top then just their commercial stuff and they also suffered from the 84-85 curse. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 4, 2020 11:27 am
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

@nottamiata

What the hell have you done to me... 6 minutes into this low res King Crimson video and I know I'm gonna watch the whole damn thing, then branch out from there.

20 minutes now (re-read your posts regarding KC before posting) and now get how some can't get past the noise... But at least they are doing better at "active ambience" than Tool these days. I tried listening to the new album (first time) last night during a long drive, and I turned it off after 6 "songs"... I know they like to build up but what the hell? Half the album and the tempo still hasn't picked up? I was nearly asleep at the wheel! Maybe if I had nothing better to do but sit drug-addled on my couch... It would be cool....

Back on topic... I'm having a hard time imaging KC making this kind of sound in the 70s and 80s.... They were before their time. I am really enjoying the wide variety of percussion instruments available on the stage.

As for all the notables.... That's a solid list. And you touched another nerve... Porcupine Tree. I know In Absentia is a part of their more mainstream offerings, but I just can't get sick of listening to it.

And to go further along that tangent... Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) and Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth, another favorite of mine) collaborated briefly to create Storm Corrosion. The result was... Eerie.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 5, 2020 2:19 am
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Heh... So listening to Discipline now and I immediately note that it has Claypool written all over it. Actually I suppose it's the other way around really. Then... I hear "Thela Hun Ginjeet" start playing... Wait... Isn't that a Claypool song? Noooooooope. I just always assumed it was. Something every day...

and the closing song "Discipline"... I had to know what was going on with those guitars, mesmerizing. Pulled from Wikipedia: During the piece the two guitars of Belew and Fripp, respectively, move through the following sequence of pairs of time signatures: 58 and 5858 and 4458 and 981516 and 15161516 and 1416108 and 20161516 and 15161516 and 14161216 and 12161216 and 11161516 and 15161516 and 1416.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 5, 2020 2:48 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Im going to give King Crimson a fair shake on my high fi system.  Will be back to give you my thoughts as I like to expand my musical portfolio. 

For now I found this really cool. It's a demo tape of Van Halen supposedly given to Gene Simmons. It sounds better than 100% of the crap they are putting out today with multimillion dollar recording equipment.  So much soul probably because they recorded as a band.  If they made this an album it would sell. So much separation and clarity.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 6, 2020 10:14 am
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @marsrock7

Heh... So listening to Discipline now and I immediately note that it has Claypool written all over it. Actually I suppose it's the other way around really. Then... I hear "Thela Hun Ginjeet" start playing... Wait... Isn't that a Claypool song? Noooooooope. I just always assumed it was. Something every day...

and the closing song "Discipline"... I had to know what was going on with those guitars, mesmerizing. Pulled from Wikipedia: During the piece the two guitars of Belew and Fripp, respectively, move through the following sequence of pairs of time signatures: 58 and 5858 and 4458 and 981516 and 15161516 and 1416108 and 20161516 and 15161516 and 14161216 and 12161216 and 11161516 and 15161516 and 1416.

Yup. I am not well-versed in music theory, but when you listen carefully to that one, you just know it's different.

And then, you can just listen to that one at the surface and it is a happy, mellow, unassuming, fun little tune and you don't hear any of the "math".

Of course, all of them are terribly easy to play. Just watch Fripp play them. Looks simple enough, eh?

By the way, that shit-hot guitar (SHG) on PT's Nil Recurring (the song) is Fripp. And the SHG on Bowie's Scary Monsters and Talking Heads' I Zimbra also. Now that I think about it, I think there is a vague similarity between Discipline and I Zimbra. Now I gotta go listen to both songs, poor me!

I am glad to have shared it with someone who didn't immediately say "ummm, what the #3LL is this?" I get that a lot, lol.

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 6, 2020 3:53 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

Ahhh.. real Van Halen.  Thank you for that.

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 6, 2020 10:31 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

A sad day for Rush fans... https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/neil-peart-rush-obituary-936221/#utm_medium

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 10, 2020 8:22 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Very sad. I thought he gave up because of his psoriatic  arthritis but it looks like he kept the cancer to himself which is typical of the man who didn’t like the limelight.

My farewell tribute. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 10, 2020 8:59 pm
marsrock7 reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

This is one of my favorite drum solos from the professor. RIP Neal. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 11, 2020 11:58 am
marsrock7 reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

We payed tribute in the theatre as well. All of yesterday's pre-show sound checks were done with Rush. 

My old man sent me this picture:

i0000010

This was taken at Joe's Pizza the first time Rush ever played in San Antonio in 1975. Joe, the owner (pictured) was also a local DJ and was the man responsible for introducing San Antonio to Rush and for bringing them down to play. A friend of my dad's used to wait at Joe's, and took this picture.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 11, 2020 11:02 pm
dev reacted
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

This came out really good 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 15, 2020 6:56 am
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 18, 2020 8:12 am
marsrock7 reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

When I think of Boston, it’s the real definition of boogie. 
I always found it interesting when rap artist constantly remind everyone its  hip hop. Rock artists do the same and say they are a blues band. I think the marketing department is responsible for mucking this up to sell records. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 18, 2020 10:42 am
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @dev

When I think of Boston, it’s the real definition of boogie. 
I always found it interesting when rap artist constantly remind everyone its  hip hop. Rock artists do the same and say they are a blues band. I think the marketing department is responsible for mucking this up to sell records. 

Dev, not all rap is Hip Hop.

Hip Hop comes from the streets.  It is comprised of four elements:

1. MC's
  2. DJ's
  3. Break dancers
  4. Graffiti Art

Genuine Gangster Rap (not "Gangsta") rap, which is often times very similar in the overall description, while varying greatly from Hip Hop's root philosophy looks like this:

"Gangsta Rap" is made by so-called studio gangsters (often written by record executives and packaged by using kids who look the part, but wouldn't know which end of a Glock is the dangerous one) equate roughly to "Keyboard Warriors" of internet fame, and looks like this:

Real Hip Hop looks like this:

And this:

Earthy rhythms, organic beats, lyrics with real meaning, dance moves that project soul and creativity.  Created by kids who came up from damn near nothing with the overall goal of bringing people together to leave gang violence behind and promote unity in urban communities.  

Some of these underground artists went on the get famous... some forgot about those who they left behind, and often became the subject of new music made by those remained.  

But hey, I'm just that white kid who grew up with a lot of these guys in the So Cal underground scene.  Been to half a dozen B-Boy Summits and more skateboarding and graf art exhibitions than I can count.  I enjoy all types of music, but I have a special place in my heart for good Hip Hop.  My collection of cassette tapes is extensive.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 19, 2020 11:50 am
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 19, 2020 10:03 pm
Page 5 / 15
Share: