Notifications
Clear all

What are you listening to today?

Page 12 / 15
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

It kind of reminds of of the band YES which was not all that popular until the 80s 90125 album was a commercial success. 

After that their older stuff also became popularized many years later. Same kind of thing happened with Queen where it was popular in Europe but not here because it was boycotted by radio stations that were Christian owned because of Freddie's flamboyant lifestyle.  I am a big Police fan and I know I am in a minority who thinks their Synchronicity album was one of their worst. 

I did see a quad headphone set up but not hear it. With the turn of the century there was SCAD and DVD audio which were competing against each other. DVD audio was suppose to being back a multichannel format.  Ironically both died a horrible death with MP3s and Napster. 

The current high resolution audio formats like FLAC and DSD audio are still very niche but they are gaining in popularity with many audiophiles. Im sure an LP can sound pleasant but that is only because it is better than CD quality which is compressed. It will never sound better than master tape quality which is what these newer formats bring especially the newer mastering taken from the original recordings. 

The really weird thing about LPs is, it has become a fad to play an LP for aesthetics than to enjoy the sound quality. There is this group of fake audiophiles and photographers that like to show off vintage gear but know very little about it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 21, 2022 2:58 pm
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

A friend of mine spent $500 on tickets to see Elton John at Dodger Stadium last night. Couldn't afford that, but being a fan of his early music I'm playing my old recordings of "Madman Across the Water" and "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road". The music brings back a lot of fond memories. He really was entertaining, back in the day.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 21, 2022 4:54 pm
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Posted by: @mrsponz

A friend of mine spent $500 on tickets to see Elton John at Dodger Stadium last night. Couldn't afford that, but being a fan of his early music I'm playing my old recordings of "Madman Across the Water" and "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road". The music brings back a lot of fond memories. He really was entertaining, back in the day.

I have Goodbye Yellow Brick Road in 24bit audio. It was recorded at the time very well. 

I would have thought Elton would have retired a long time ago. It's amazing to see these artists more popular in their old age than a lot of  new artists.

I missed  seeing Guns and Roses when they were opening up for Aerosmith which has been one of my biggest regrets because this is when they were hitting their stride musically. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2022 10:51 am
(@grumpy)
Reputable Member

Rod Stewart is doing 40's and 50's standards which kind of blows me away when compared to his work in the 60's, 70's and 80's. I agree about Elton John, his best by far was his early songs. I would cross the street to avoid Springsteen now. and I saw him in concert several time when he started.First time I saw Aerosmith in concert they opened for the Stones. Now I wouldn't pay to see either...I wouldn't want to see either preform anymore as they are past what they were. Springsteen I would cross the road to avoid hearing his newer songs. Yet he gets hundreds of dollars per ticket now. I cant think of a 60's or 70's group I would go see, not even Bob Seeger who I used to go see when he was just a Detroit based regional band. I saw him more than anyone. Eric Clapton is one of the few who have changed over the years, stayed really good because they changed style and stayed relevant. Clapton was always blues based but played blues inspired rock and moved into more traditional blues as he got older.Yardbirds to Creme to Blind Faith,  Derrick and the Dominos, and more. He played backup on several other bands albums even without attribution. If the group were good musicians he was happy playing with them. Really the only "rock" musician in his 70's that I would pay the money to see in concert, as I did a couple years ago.

I wish my hearing was as good as it was decades ago but loud constant noise and firearms has made that not possible. hearing protection was not even available when I was your and helped farm. nor were cabs but rarely used. I don't need hearing aids but am tested several times a year. I have lost some tones and notes that are anything but clear. Especially background in music. My brain adds them in if I know the songs, at least that is the explanation the audiologist gave me.

Blown, it is like lift, only bigger, better, longer, stronger, harder... and that’s just the car. The first Rotrex supercharged 2zz Spyder.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2022 12:47 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I found this cover amazing. It is by Lexington Lab Band.  the performers try to closely mimic the original recording with incredible detail. Why I think it's interesting is because Ann Willson no longer sounds like this anymore in her older years and her Sister is not as good as she think she is on guitar. It's as if in their old age  they just let it go without putting in the time for rehearsals. The worst I have seen is with Vince Neil who is mumbling the lines out of tune.  At least Michal Jackson what ever you think of him put in the work which literally killed him.  I have to agree with you Grumpy, there is no point in being disappointed. At least David Lee Roth retired at the right time.   I wouldn't mind seeing a good cover band. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2022 2:08 pm
(@grumpy)
Reputable Member

The best cover I have ever heard was Disturbed doing Simon and Garfunkel Sounds of sSilence. I read one review that said it made Simon and Garfunkel had a nice idea for a song and Disturbed came along and made it how it should have been done. This was from a long time fan of Simon, who had never heard of Disturbed. Check out how many views it has had.

Many of the old bands should have stopped years ago when they were closer to the top of their game.To put it in football terms Jim Brown not Brady. I haven't watched much football since the Dolphins went undefeated...the league expanded...and free agents were common. Put the restrictions on hitting quarterbacks, and more... It was needed as the size of players went from linemen being 250 lbs to well over 300. Times change and so did the game. But I hear it most in the music, both in the talent of the singers,  musicians and, the recording technology and even the producers. Auto tune is a piss poor band-aid.

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by grumpy

Blown, it is like lift, only bigger, better, longer, stronger, harder... and that’s just the car. The first Rotrex supercharged 2zz Spyder.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2022 6:49 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Rush again. Just stumbled onto this 40th anniversary bit:

What a well put together video. So much history in such a short time. I caught a few of the references but not nearly enough. Third comment down lists most of them. Just wow. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 8, 2022 7:51 pm
grumpy and dev reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Did not know they were making all these new videos to release with the 40th anniversary reissues. This graphic novel form of 2112 is fantastic:

Put your headphones on. The stereo imaging is quite pleasing.

(After enjoying this, and showing it to the old man, I ordered us both copies of 2112 remastered 40th anniversary deluxe 3x LP for Christmas. It's gonna be a nice holiday.)

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 9, 2022 9:43 pm
LordTakuban and dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Rush is my favorite band. If you think about all the Twitter revelations the Temple of Syrnix is a direct allegory of what we are going through with big tech. It’s fascinating that what is described as far as lyrics predates the world we live in today.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 9, 2022 11:05 pm
marsrock7 reacted
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

I've always been a fan of Pop and Pop Rock. As a matter of fact I love a whole variety of music.

Had some time over the weekend and played some Fleetwood Mac LP's.  RIP Christine McVie - "You make loving fun" 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 13, 2022 2:22 pm
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I've always been a fan of Pop and Pop Rock. As a matter of fact I love a whole variety of music.

Had some time over the weekend and played some Fleetwood Mac LP's.  RIP Christine McVie - "You make loving fun" 

RIP 

Unlike a lot of female artists that they over hype for their musicianship Christine McVie is the real deal that doesn't get enough credit. Christine along with Buckingham developed the music for the band that gave them memorable music. 

The industry promotes people like Joan Jet who is not a bad guitarist but she is certainly not in the top 100 best guitarists of all time. It doesn't matter what gender you are but a great musician should not be lumped in with mediocre ones just because there is not enough representation.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 14, 2022 10:41 am
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

RIP - Jeff Beck. One of the best guitarists ever.  Just got done watching a youtube of Beck and Rod Stewart live, performing "People Get Ready"  - so cool. Gotta dig up my old Yardbirds album.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 12, 2023 1:50 pm
grumpy and dev reacted
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

RIP - David Crosby.  CSNY, one of my all time favorite Folk/Rock groups. Boy, could those guys sing! Their harmonies were outstanding! Time to get out "Four Way Street".

(on a side note - jees, WE'RE dropping like flies)

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 20, 2023 1:36 pm
dev reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

RIP - David Crosby.  CSNY, one of my all time favorite Folk/Rock groups. Boy, could those guys sing! Their harmonies were outstanding! Time to get out "Four Way Street".

(on a side note - jees, WE'RE dropping like flies)

It is that season of life for many of us to be dropping like flies.  🙂  I get up each morning and read the obituaries just make certain I'm still alive.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 20, 2023 6:31 pm
CSPIDY, grumpy and dev reacted
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

Linkin Park dropped a new single

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 10, 2023 8:48 pm
dev reacted
Page 12 / 15