Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Uncle Mush on extended Leave of Absence

Page 2 / 3
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

I hope you have a speedy recovery.  You'll be missed around here while you're gone, but it will seem as though no time has passed once you return.  🙂

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2020 11:31 am
Uncle Mush reacted
Erdoc48
(@erdoc48)
Estimable Member

Sorry as I’m late on this one- I hope recovery goes very well!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2020 3:37 pm
Uncle Mush reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Thanks again for the well-wishes.   Surgery was Thursday morning so anesthesia has well worn off.   The pain is quite exquisite.   Grateful for artic-cuff "icing system".  The ice cold water on my knee is the best feeling I have right now.  I am grateful.   

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 13, 2020 3:41 pm
LordTakuban and dev reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Late to the party but wishing you a speedy recovery. Clutch pedal therapy sounds like a winner to me!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 14, 2020 8:30 am
Uncle Mush reacted
(@wilcomr-s)
Estimable Member

A family member went through having one replaced last year. Surprising how much faster people recover from it than even a decade ago. 

I believe she said the phys therapy was okay but the foam block under the knee to help stretch the joint out later on was uncomfortable to say the least. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 14, 2020 11:05 am
Uncle Mush reacted
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

UM, sorry you needed it in the first place, but glad you're recovering after having it! Just stay on the meds as needed, and don't try to be a hero rehabbing.

I had both hips replaced in '15; Feb 23 and June 1. Minimal time on meds and zero professional rehab. I was, and am, very thankful.

You'll be good to go before you know it!

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 19, 2020 2:19 pm
Uncle Mush reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Thanks,  Galo.  I'm titrating-back the dose of the percocet -- it just felt like trying to swat a fly with a boozaka.  In regards to post-op rehabing  the knee, I'm walking better.  I'm now using a rollator instead of a walker.  I'll keep on moving to get some exercise and avoid DVT.  Trying to avoid as much atrophy as possible by staying mobile.  The increased swelling (after "exercising" is my least favorite post-op experience (besides the pain).  One day at a time.    

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 20, 2020 9:50 am
LordTakuban reacted
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

Aaaaahhh, percocet...my favorite prescription pain med!

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2020 4:51 pm
LordTakuban reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Today makes 2 months since the surgery to replace my right knee and to celebrate in style, I took the Spyder out for my first drive in the Spyder with my new knee.  Knee worked well; car worked well; permagrin restored!  😀 

I've got one month to enjoy the Spyder before I go back under the knife to have the left knee replaced on December 10th, so I had best get some driving in as long as I can.  Fortunately, I live in California which affords me weather that is often excellent for Spyder-rides -- even in the winter.

I wanted to give y'all an update and thank you again for your kind words and wishes.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 10, 2020 7:30 pm
grumpy, dev and haloruler64 reacted
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

I am really glad you are doing good. Tell me, why so quick to do the other knee?

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 11, 2020 9:03 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Thanks for asking.   Lots of reasons that add up to making that decision.  1.) Left knee increasingly (frequency) hurts as much as the right knee that is recovering from surgery.  If I'm going to hurt, anyway,  might as well be post operative pain than degenerative pain which means less time, overall for dealing with the pain.  2.) I save $1000 in deductibles if I have the left knee surgery this calendar year.  3.)  Work schedules/project cycle seems to make more sense to take time off from work now and I've got plenty of time saved up.  4.) I function better with cooler temperatures and my experience with right knee postoperative healing process makes me believe it will be better to have left knee surgery when ambient temperatures are cooler. 5.)  My wife is a elementary school teacher and will have a couple of weeks off for Christmas break and I appreciate her support and want to have as little negative impact on her work schedule as possible. 6.)  Would not drive the Spyder as much in the middle of winter and want to have  recovered as much as possible so I will be ready and able to re-access permagrin in the spring. 7.)  I'm not getting any younger and younger old bodies heal faster than elderly old bodies.  8.)  Postoperative pain is likely to last for up to a year.  I would rather hurt for a year than for two years straight.  😀 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 12, 2020 1:55 am
haloruler64 reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I wish you the best of recovery UM. I hope Dr. Rudy and Oscar Goldman is able to put you back together. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 12, 2020 10:48 am
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

Glad you're better! Yes, get it done so you can be "normal"(well, at least as far as knee pain goes 😉 😉). When I had my hips done, the right was Monday 2-23-15 the left  Monday 6-1-15. Approximately 71 days later, I was able to walk and climb stairs without needing a cane or stair rails.

If you're at all into "Rocky", think of the "Rocky" theme song; "I can walk now, I can walk now...I can climb...I can climb...I CAN CLIMB!!!" It's a great feeling!

Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2020 8:43 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

@galo

Thanks Galo.  I appreciate the encouragement as I move forward with the next surgery.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 16, 2020 12:18 pm
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

Bionic Mush, has a nice ring to it.

good luck with the surgery 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2020 2:49 pm
dev reacted
Page 2 / 3
Share: