Share:
Notifications
Clear all

sports cars

Page 1 / 2
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

I think we we need a topic here to stir things up. Getting a little dull. NO Politics or Covid-19 !!

In my mind, there are different kind of sports cars. Old MG's, old Triumphs, old Austin  Healeys - etc. Then came along the Porsche 912, 911 (and even the low end Karmann Ghia). Around the same time the Corvette appeared, ooh, but it had a V8. No, I am not forgetting the Fiat or the Alfa - but they are Italian !!

Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Maseratis were always GT cars, and not "sports cars". I don't think we need to go over what a GT car is - or do we?

The early Mazda RX7, Miatas and 240Z's  are sports cars. The Soltice/Saturn Sky are sports cars. The BMW Z4 is a sports car.

The Mustang, Camaro, Charger, Challenger, Fiesta, MX3 (in my mind) are not sports cars. You can have fun in them - but they are not true sports cars.

Oh - how do you classify the MB 450 SL, Cadillac Allante, Buick Reatta and Chrysler GT - all two seater ragtops? Who did I forget? Mercury Capri XR2 ?

If you can't buy it off the dealers lot, it is not a sports car - it is a race car. Sorry Porsche 550 etc. 

You can call the MR2 Spyder a "runabout" , but aren't all old school sports cars runabouts?  I hate having these discussions with my Celica, and Datsun friends.

Who disagrees or agrees with me?

Or is this old topic not worth rehashing ?

Topic starter Posted : December 15, 2020 8:00 pm
neomr2 reacted
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

I don't think it's worth rehashing but I did see this on a tv program ... didn't know they existed . 

Image result for 2004 mx5 mazdaspeed

More images

2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5 Miata

Sports car

The 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata falls somewhere in between. Rated at 178hp and 166 lb-ft of torque, it offered buyers 36 additional horsepower and 41 extra lb-ft compared to the standard 1.8L four-cylinder engine.Sep 13, 2018

Looking Back: Driving A Bone-Stock 2004 Mazdaspeed MX-5 ...

www.drivingline.com › articles › looking-back-driving-a-...

Description

Horsepower: 178 hp
Curb weight: 2,529 lbs
Engine: 1.8 L 4-cylinder
MPG: 23 city / 28 highway
Tire size: P205/40R17
Wheel size: 17″ diameter, 7″ width
ReplyQuote
Posted : December 15, 2020 8:42 pm
neomr2 reacted
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

I love cars, trucks, Jeeps, boats, ATV's, etc... 

My problem is I tend to get bored once I have modified something to just the way I want it, and then I typically get rid of it and move on to something else I can play with and modify.  

I do consider my MKIII a sports car but I also considered my modified MK1a a sports car as well. 

I think once a vehicle is significantly modified, OEM classifications or descriptions don't fit very well anymore.

Definition of sports car

: a low small usually 2-passenger automobile designed for quick response, easy maneuverability, and high-speed driving

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 16, 2020 10:03 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

In regards to the RX7 I believe the early ones were true to being a sports car. The later ones from the 80s started to be more like a GT car until they made the FD RX7 which is a focused sports car.  Out of the titan performance cars from the 90s only the FD RX7 was the sports car of the bunch and the other three fat GT luxury cars. It is remarkable that Toyota slipped in a true sports car after that era was over that wasn't well received. The general public  use the words sports loosely even calling something like an S class AMG Mercedes a sports car that its meaningless. I think roadster fits the description better.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 16, 2020 10:34 am
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

@neomr2

Have any pics of your mk1 ?  I still have mine it's just in pieces ....

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 16, 2020 11:48 am
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

@phats

Let me search through my old back-ups from my old computer and I will see if I can find a few.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 16, 2020 1:50 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

@phats,

You can just barely make out the facial bones of the MK1 there.  It's interesting, in trying to figure out why I can still recognize it without the rest of the chiseled features, it seems (to me) that it must be the angles of the front and rear windshields.  Even though that's basically all that is left of the MK1 shell, really, that's all it actually takes.  I think that's pretty cool.

<blather alert> I fell in love with the MK1 in 1986 when I was 17 years old.  I never test-drove one, because they wouldn't let me, LOL. But they let me sit in it.  Gee, thanks, "dad" (the stealership salesman).  That was a mistake, because my nice-at-that-time '81 Celica GTA trade-in and my job would have allowed the purchase, even though my parents were also not terribly warm to the idea either.  I think, having a Spyder now, that a stock or near-stock MK1 would be nostalgic as hell, but my guess (again, STILL never having actually driven one) is that it would be pretty underwhelming.  Yours looks like you've done a mod or two, though.

Once the pandemic is over, I think I will get out more.  Get to a track, or a meet, even just a Coffee and Cars, scrape and grovel in my newby-ness and hope someone takes pity on me.  My interest is there, but there is so much for me to learn, still, that half the stuff I read has no context.  For example, what is an A2W?  I Guess it is Air-to-water, a cooling exchange for a supercharger (just guessing), but obviously, Hoogle says it is "The A2W reactor is a naval nuclear reactor used by the United States Navy to provide electricity generation and propulsion on warships".  How is LT gonna fit THAT in his frunk???

Cool car, Phatts.

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2020 1:41 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

Ok...my definition-s;

1. A "sports car" is a 2 seater with a drop top(soft or retracting/removable hard top), or no top at all. A "sports car" can not have 4 seats.

2. Anything else, call it what you want.

$0.02

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2020 6:16 pm
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

I cannot afford one. But if I purchased a Porsche 911 I'd pull out all that fake seating in the back.  More luggage space. I was in the back of a 912 once, not a lot of fun.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 17, 2020 7:55 pm
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

Car companies want to call their cars 2+2's for insurance purposes. What a joke. Ever seen the back seat of a Lexus RC / LC ? Or a Lotus Evora ? My old VW Beetle had more room in the back!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 17, 2020 8:01 pm
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

@phats

Found one...

thumbnail C3AFD3F578244B7A9F0269E5510AF36D

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 15, 2021 11:09 am
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

@neomr2

Man ... that was fast . lol  

I see a trend developing ... you like big wheels and can not lie  ( I think there's a song in there somewhere ) , what are those 18's . I liked the hardtop best but Toyota did a nice job on the sunroof . Mine was the worst with t-tops ... gave me a good reason to cut the top off . I really like the supercharged version that mine had .... need to get it back on the road someday !! Thanks for the picture ...... 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 15, 2021 12:58 pm
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

@phats

LOL, 17" wheels. 

I forgot to look and then stumbled across one of my old photo's and then remembered... 

I think I am getting old...  

😴 😜 🤪 

I liked the car a lot, until an Amazon PRIME contract driver took me out and had no insurance for commercial use so I was out of luck getting it fixed or replaced...

You have way too many cars to get on the road, or part out, but I will wait to see what you do with it.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 15, 2021 1:04 pm
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

@neomr2

To bad about the car being taken out that way !!  So do you still buy from Amazon ? lol  

The mk1 started the whole spyder thing for me .... wish I never woulda bought that car . lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 15, 2021 1:20 pm
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @phats

@neomr2

To bad about the car being taken out that way !!  So do you still buy from Amazon ? lol  

The mk1 started the whole spyder thing for me .... wish I never woulda bought that car . lol

Yes, I am still a Prime member...  ☹️ 

My MK1 did the same for me.  I need to get my Jeep TJ finished and get back into rock crawling though, it used to be my passion before the Spyder.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 15, 2021 1:26 pm
phats reacted
Page 1 / 2
Share: