Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Poll

Page 1 / 2
(@hello)
Reputable Member

How many of you daily your Spyder? I feel like I am the only one.

Topic starter Posted : September 6, 2019 10:54 am
 Dave
(@dave)
Trusted Member

It's been 11 or 12 years since I daily drove one.  Those commutes were some of the happiest points of my working career!  Now, it's pleasure drives only.  I'd not want to daily drive one these days unless I had a backup,

Dave

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 6, 2019 11:24 am
hello reacted
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

I don't anymore since buying my FR-S back in June of 2012, but I used to.  I'm still in the process of doing an engine replacement and some other things that seem like I never have time to get to.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 6, 2019 11:28 am
(@hello)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @dave

It's been 11 or 12 years since I daily drove one.  Those commutes were some of the happiest points of my working career!  Now, it's pleasure drives only.  I'd not want to daily drive one these days unless I had a backup,

Exactly this. My commute goes through some really great curves. Sometimes I look forward to going into work!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 6, 2019 1:04 pm
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

No daily driving for me, mine is a nice weather toy only...

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 6, 2019 2:04 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

I used to daily drive.  Now,  my spyder is mostly a garage queen.  I still love to take it out on weekend drives when I get the chance. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 6, 2019 2:06 pm
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

fun not function

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 6, 2019 2:26 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

I commute in mine. It has turned 8.75 hours of drudgery into 0.75 hours of Awesome and 8.0 hours of drudgery.

The most difficult part is forcing myself to take the exit off the hwy and go to work.

The definition of "DD" might also include trips to the grocer or Home Depot, and I don't drive The Frog for stuff like that, typically. 

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 6, 2019 3:07 pm
hello reacted
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

@lordtakuban

You might prioritize the Spyder if it was your DD. Maybe you dont find time for it because you dont have to.

Not necessarily a bad thing or a judgement, just an observation.

How does the FRS stack up, funwise? That car was on my backup list if getting a Spyder wasnt going to pan out.

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 6, 2019 3:11 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

For me DD duties are split about 50/50 between the Toy and my TSX. The TSX if I need to haul kids, friends or "stuff." The Toy for most else. TSX would likely be doing more DD duty if it weren't for a leak in my high-pressure AC line and the fact that it's clutch has a much heavier pedal feel. So although traffic is the last place I want to be in the Toy, it serves me better in traffic right now because it has ridiculously cold AC and a nice easy clutch (thank you SouthBend!)

Taking the Toy for groceries or other (window) shopping actually deters me from overspending... Simply because I don't want to figure out how to fit more groceries and/or large items into the car.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 6, 2019 3:57 pm
hello reacted
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I dailied my MR2 for three years. Then I picked up a Lexus CT200h.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 6, 2019 5:52 pm
hello reacted
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

I daily mine. I am in central Texas and I get to work by a beautiful 20 mile series of curves, corners, and switchbacks. The last 1/2 a mile or so actually has a couple of traffic lights and a stop sign or so. If I need to stop by the store and get some sustenance for me and my dogs I take my larger ride, an S2000.

You know your connection to reality is a bit stretched when an S2000 is your most reasonable food hauler. I have two other S10 pickups and a 1/2 ton Silverado, all from the 1980's but they rarely see use. 

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 6, 2019 8:59 pm
hello reacted
Erdoc48
(@erdoc48)
Estimable Member

Technically I DD use mine- really every other week and the 300ZX on alternate weeks- I now only work 3 days per week, so 60 miles (20 miles round trip to work) every other week per car. In the course of the year, maybe 2000 miles per car, so not too much. My Spyder currently is at 37K miles.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 6, 2019 9:08 pm
hello reacted
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

I drive my 2GR swap every day.   It’s the high point of my day.   Over 100k miles and counting!

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 6, 2019 9:09 pm
hello reacted
(@hello)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @erdoc48

Technically I DD use mine- really every other week and the 300ZX on alternate weeks- I now only work 3 days per week, so 60 miles (20 miles round trip to work) every other week per car. In the course of the year, maybe 2000 miles per car, so not too much. My Spyder currently is at 37K miles.

That's a sweet setup.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 6, 2019 9:26 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: