Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Part 2 of judge my photos.

dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

First off I want to thank all those that have given their time to judge photos for me as I cant tell you how invaluable it is as I have more subjective  points to draw from.  If you haven't participated in the first evaluation no worries your inputs is sill welcome. 

This is going to be our 2nd and last show down. This will give me exactly what I need to draw a conclusion which will come very close to finalizing my decision. One thing to keep in mind is don't fixate on sharpness but if sharpness you feel is what makes the photo artistic then that is fine. Try to look subjectively at the photo as a whole and other things like vividness of the colors and so forth. Also discard the worse pictures with bad lighting and just scroll down to see the best of the bunch in both groups and use that as a comparison. There are thousands of picture in the pool and you don't have to look at all of them just casually browse and if you don't see any difference thats fine also and valuable to me.  I will give you my conclusion and thoughts tomorrow. 

Ok final run off. 

Canon EOS R

https://www.flickr.com/groups/canon-eos-r/pool/

Fuji XT-1

https://www.flickr.com/groups/fujifilm_x-t1/pool/

Topic starter Posted : April 3, 2020 9:41 am
(@grumpy)
Reputable Member

On this set I prefer the Fuji. The Canon is too sharp. the Fuji is also but not as much as the Canon. I prefer the Canon for the black and white photos. I prefer black and white overall but sometimes the color is necessary for the impact. But that, of course is from my preferences.

My wife agrees with your observation about untrained eyes are better for comparisons as trained eyes look at to many  parts of the picture taking and not at the picture as a whole.

Blown, it is like lift, only bigger, better, longer, stronger, harder... and that’s just the car. The first Rotrex supercharged 2zz Spyder.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 3, 2020 11:19 am
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

@grumpy

Thanks again.  Your wife is right and that is why I can only get this input from a car forum and not a photography forum. Please thank her for me.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 3, 2020 11:27 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Bump. Please gentlemen if you have the time. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 3, 2020 8:41 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Okay.   Found some time to look, this time using my phone that has a much newer screen.   I like the Canon better.  I think the pictures looked more vivid.  Those photos looked more like they were taken by a skilled photographer whereas the Fuji photos look like the kinds of photos I might be able to take.

I don't know if that helps any,  but I gave it my best shot. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 3, 2020 10:58 pm
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @uncle-mush

Okay.   Found some time to look, this time using my phone that has a much newer screen.   I like the Canon better.  I think the pictures looked more vivid.  Those photos looked more like they were taken by a skilled photographer whereas the Fuji photos look like the kinds of photos I might be able to take.

I don't know if that helps any,  but I gave it my best shot. 

Thanks UM that was helpful.  

I need a few more people, at least two.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 4, 2020 9:44 am
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

To be honest Dev I don’t see that much of a difference between the two sets of photos.

perhaps if they could be viewed side by side like when you see the TVs in the store.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 4, 2020 9:49 am
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @cspidy

To be honest Dev I don’t see that much of a difference between the two sets of photos.

perhaps if they could be viewed side by side like when you see the TVs in the store.

No worries and that is one of the responses I was looking for. If you don't see a difference its perfectly fine as a lot of people don't either.  It fulfills my data point. 

I do test between cameras but its hard to have others a set up with a calibrated monitor and do a blind study. This exercise is purely subjective and knowing what you all think might loosely confirm my own findings. It gives me a starting point so I do not have to spend a fortune on gear that I have to return. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 4, 2020 10:02 am
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

Something about the green/ magenta channel seems off to me with the Fujifilm x-t1. Of course, it could just be styling choices of the photographers in post before uploading to flickr, but after looking through ~100 photos of both cameras I like the overall color balance of the canon better.

It's kind of hard to put, it's not that the green/magenta is muted on the Fujifilm, because there are some vibrant shots in the group, it just seems kind of seems like the channel has it's brightness shifted downwards. But, maybe that was all just done in post.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 4, 2020 11:39 am
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @ria

Something about the green/ magenta channel seems off to me with the Fujifilm x-t1. Of course, it could just be styling choices of the photographers in post before uploading to flickr, but after looking through ~100 photos of both cameras I like the overall color balance of the canon better.

It's kind of hard to put, it's not that the green/magenta is muted on the Fujifilm, because there are some vibrant shots in the group, it just seems kind of seems like the channel has it's brightness shifted downwards. But, maybe that was all just done in post.

Thanks, that was an interesting observation. Some of it can by styling choices but because it is from any different contributors from around the world you can see certain similarities, at least I do.  

I just need one more and I will be done. This has all been very helpful. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 4, 2020 11:45 am
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

I'm sticking with the canon for the same reason as before .... did i mention I don't like the blurring . It's like I only get half the content .

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 4, 2020 12:13 pm
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @phats

I'm sticking with the canon for the same reason as before .... did i mention I don't like the blurring . It's like I only get half the content .

Thanks Randy very helpful. Yes you did mention it. I use it because my clients want it and I do have fellow photographers that stop down the aperture and want everything clear.  Its different strokes.

I think I have enough. Conclusion to follow.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 4, 2020 12:35 pm
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @dev

Thanks Randy very helpful. Yes you did mention it. I use it because my clients want it and I do have fellow photographers that stop down the aperture and want everything clear.  Its different strokes.

Don't blame it on your clients .... most of the picture of your spyder you post have it . lol 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 4, 2020 1:58 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @dev

Don't blame it on your clients .... most of the picture of your spyder you post have it . lol 

True I like it also and so do my clients. It is the style I have developed over many years even before digital. 
I have felt that everything clear doesn’t require a better camera or lenses for that purpose as most cellphones do it just as well.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 4, 2020 2:22 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Ok here is my conclusion.  First I want to thank everyone that participated as it has solidified my decision. I cant simply buy and try too many times because camera sellers frown on it however I actually thought about driving to B&H photos super store in NY so I can have them demonstrate the cameras as a prospective buyer. This is not something I take lightly as the money involved is close to buying a used Spyder and lenses that cost close to $3000 each for the new mount but I can adopt my old EF lenses.

I wasn't feeling the Fuji medium format camera but most photographers especially medium format users  think its much better than full fame and there are technical comparisons showing why but it doesn't translate in the real world unless its on a chart. I have already done my own testing and found that I do not like the rendition but could not understand why when it is the gold standard of comparison as far as image quality and I thought for the work I do I should graduate to medium format which was an unattainable  dream I had since the film days but even as they made their way to digital backs I could never afford $10k- $20k for a slow bulky camera. Fuji is now making affordable medium format in the price range of $4500 which is not cheap but attainable and uses the same hardware as the more expensive digital medium formate cameras. 

I also felt that the Canon EOS R made the better images. It was clearly obvious to me and to the majority of you guys. It has great color science which is what Canon is known for and the images pop. Color fidelity is all there. Someone mentioned B&W and I also agree.  Someone mentioned that its close to Fuji chemical film and I also agree. 

In comparison to the Fuji XT-1 its a little tricky.  I know that people liked the EOS R over this and im mixed. I really like the XT-1 which I currently own and love the images from it  because they look more like film to me. The photos are bold and look vintage in a good way and this was deliberate as they use a sensor technology that tries to give you that look. I bought this camera for $300 and I feel it makes every picture taken with it look great but that is just my feeling about it and I have use for it in my work flow and travel since its small and light weight.  I do however think the EOS R edges it out in other areas but I do find the XT-1 has a quality that the EOS R doesn't have.

Will I be purchasing the EOS R. Im hooked on mirrorless because I see a clear advantage and Im happy that Canon which is the brand I have been with for over 30 years is transitioning.  Canon is slow to innovate but when they do its usually a big leap. They are coming out with their EOS R5 which is going to be their flagship for art, portraiture, fashion and just overall anything like sports as in the past my previous 5Ds were slow and generally one trick ponies. I hope the images will have the  same look or better as the EOS R because they will be incorporating innovative features that I could use like in body camera  stabilization which is going to be so good that I will not need a tripod except for the most critical stuff in very low lighting. They will also have a better way of focusing my manual focus lenses as its very hard on a DSLR.  I will still have to wait for the image output from this camera to make a final decision but I should  know on April 20 as they plan to release this new camera at their up coming press conference. At that time I will have my hands on some raw files to play. 

Im kind of relieved because its easier to go back to Canon since I have the lenses for it.  

Thanks again to everyone who participated as it has been a big help to confirm what was quiet obvious to me and invaluable as you guys saved me a lot of money for information that I cannot get on a photography forum that is ridden with clutter. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 5, 2020 9:32 am
Share: