Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Jack Stand Recall

neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

In case you have any of these in your garage/shop -> Recall

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

Topic starter Posted : May 21, 2020 8:12 am
dev reacted
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

6 of my 6 ton stands are included in that recall.  The bad thing is 4 of those have been under a spyder for a year straight.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 21, 2020 8:55 am
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

Wow! Thank you SO MUCH! I had not seen this!

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 21, 2020 8:56 am
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

Just in case a pic from your reference helps someone recognize the subject of the recall.

2020 05 21 07 50 28

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 21, 2020 8:59 am
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

Yeah, I have six of the 6 ton jack stands under my Jeep TJ too...

Unfortunately, I have all of my control arm brackets cut off since I am redoing my suspension so I can't easily pull them out.

Guess I better get to work.

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 21, 2020 9:34 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Interesting. I have the yellow black Craftsman stands  that was purchased sometime in 2000 that are based on the same kind of pawl mechanism. Once weight is on them you cannot lift the lever, I know this because I was worried about it when I bought them so I had a friend add their weight on the stand while I tried to force the lever by hand to see it would slip and it was solid.

I have seen a youtube video last year where someone was bumping the lever on what possibly could be the cheap HF Jack stands to lower the car height. I didn't think that was possible and it had me confused. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 21, 2020 10:29 am
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

The problem with the HF ones are that the notches aren't cut as well so it's easy for the pawl to slip out and the jack stand revert to it's lowest setting, if it doesn't tip over during the rapid height change and more chaos ensues.  When I checked mine last night, I could tell a distinct difference in the notch cuts and people have posted pictures of the differences as well.

Here's a pic someone took of the difference.  Non recalled stand on the left and a recalled one on the right.  You can see the difference in the notches.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 21, 2020 10:57 am
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Pretty scary. Thankfully I don't own any of those. Reminds me of some brand of "race ramp" I was looking at buying since both my cars are relatively low.... And I stumbled on tons of bad reviews where owners had posted pics of huge cracks in the plastic claiming they were only used a few times and on average weight cars like an Accord or Camry. Obviously decided against the ramps. Saw them for sale at Napa a few days later and told them to check the Amazon reviews, as the product could possibly be unsafe. 

I've opted for the poor man's race ramp. A collection of 2x8 boards of varying length. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 22, 2020 11:06 pm
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

Thank you. I have the orange 6 ton from harbor. I do not think they are Pittsburgh brand.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2020 7:28 am
Share: