Going Cross Country In A Spyder, Luggage/Motorcycle Trailer Questions

Page 1 / 2
(@not-2-old-for-2-seater)
Estimable Member

Afternoon Folks,

I started this post on SC months ago:

<a href=" removed link "> removed link

Now I need to update it.

Sad to say, a little more than 6 weeks ago, I took a fall off of a ladder while doing some construction work. Ended up breaking some ribs, vertebra, and my collar bone. Worst damage was crush injury along the left side of my back --- landed on a single edge of the aluminum ladder that I was working off --- which still has not healed.

Spent 10 days in the hospital and then 5 weeks, mostly, sleeping, or laying quietly on the sofa slowly healing. Definitely not how I had planned to spend this Summer.

For now, it looks like my "Window of Opportunity" for the road trip may have passed for this Summer. However, there is always next year!

Topic starter Posted : July 6, 2019 4:49 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I have known about Pauls injuries. I did not want to make them public at the time. 

Its a sad situation and I hope you get something out of this summer.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 6, 2019 6:00 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Ouch!  So sorry to hear of your pain.   I wish for you a full recovery and another window of opportunity to take that trip you've been looking forward to taking.  Take care and heal well. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 6, 2019 7:55 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

Wow!!! Sorry to hear about your spill, but glad you're home and healing. I know what it's like recovering...Feb-'15/June-'15 bilateral hip replacement, Dec-'16 triple bypass, Dec-'17 removal of a malignant melanoma .

Hang in there and get better!

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 6, 2019 10:17 pm
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

Paul, life throws inside pitches with too much heat. Sorry to read you crowded the box.  You'll find a way to make the best of the situation and this will be another anecdote to a fun life.

(I still think of the Geico 'No Shame' ZZ Top commercial... when I read this post.)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2019 8:25 am
(@hello)
Reputable Member

I wish you have a speedy recovery. If I understand correctly, we're neighbors. If you need help with the car, let me know even though I am likely only good for passing the wrench.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2019 4:43 pm
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

Sorry to hear about your injury, time heals all. So, what have you done or decided to do about a luggage rack or trailer?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2019 8:13 am
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

Damn, I hope you fully recover.  Take care.

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2019 8:50 am
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2019 8:55 am
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2019 9:10 am
Estimable Member

Morning Folks,

Thanks for all of your kind words!

After reading about Galo's medical misadventures, I feel like a wimp bringing up my small health issues.

According to my Dr's first estimates, they indicated that my broken bones should take approximately 6-8 weeks to heal. Shortly after I got out of the hospital I underwent a DEXA --- bone --- scan that indicated that I had some bone mass erosion from not getting enough calcium in my diet. My suspicion is that the bone mass erosion may be contributing to longer than projected healing time.

As for my crush injuries, no time-to-heal estimate was given.

Just completed 7 weeks post-accident, but still have quite a bit of pain from 1-2 broken bones and crush injury site.  This afternoon I will be seeing a Physical Therapist to determine what, if any, physical rehab I can do to bring my body --- hopefully --- back to pre-accident condition.

Learned, much to my disappointment, that the time it takes to get my muscles back to pre-accident condition may be as long as it takes for the injuries to heal... possibly longer.

Pretty sure that means that the flywheel exchange I started before the accident, will get delayed until the Fall.  Bummer!

This post was modified 5 years ago by Not 2 Old For 2 Seater
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 12, 2019 11:51 am
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2019 1:42 pm
Estimable Member

All good advice!

Now my turn:

Would really hate for you to have to give up your car cause of the toe thing. Maybe wearing one of those OTC aluminum splints on your big toe might help reduce your pain to a manageable level.

For me, whenever I can get out in my Spyder and drive around with the top down and the wind blowing through my hair and on my face, I truly feel that life is good. Pushing Itsy-Bitsy through some curves while letting the engine REV, and feeling the amazing Spyder road grip, all put a smile on my face and really make me feel alive. Rowing through the 6 speed transmission and listening to the engine and road noise, reminds me of --- almost 50 years ago --- all of the times I enjoyed riding motorcycles.

Given that the impetus to buy my Spyder only started about 3 years ago (while I lay on an Emergency Room gurney with 6 physicians struggling to keep me alive), I am determined not to let this recent accident (and possible multi-month recovery) derail me and/or Itsy-Bitsy any longer than is absolutely necessary. Having reached the age of 71 --- in spite of all of the stupid/risky things I have done over the years --- time is no longer my friend.

May you all feel the sun on your face and the wind in your hair today!

This post was modified 5 years ago by Not 2 Old For 2 Seater
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 12, 2019 2:03 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2019 2:17 pm
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member
Posted by: NottaMiata

.....There may be a topic soon about getting a lighter spring for my clutch....

If you’re really interested in a lighter clutch pedal - I did a mod to mine.  It reduced the pedal pressure from 60Lb to 15Lb.    I have 100k miles on the mod, so far.

This post was modified 5 years ago by cyclehead

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2019 2:45 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: