Please help me judg...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please help me judge some photos.

Page 2 / 3
(@grumpy)
Reputable Member

I appreciate sculpture much more than I do 2 dimensional art. I like junk and hanging pieces more than smooth stone pieces  I like patinated restromods more than concours vehicles. Just to put a bit of background on my opinion of the pictures. I like Impressionists more than Old Masters.

Blown, it is like lift, only bigger, better, longer, stronger, harder... and that’s just the car. The first Rotrex supercharged 2zz Spyder.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 2, 2020 3:51 pm
 Dave
(@dave)
Trusted Member

In my opinion this is a bogus data point to use for a camera/system selection, there is so much variation there.  Aside from the limitations due to it's fixed lenses, output from a current iPhone Max will compare favorably to many or most of those; actually under ideal circumstances blowing many of those snapshots away.  

I'd think camera ergonomics, specs, and system add-ons would be much more important drivers than random photos shot by who-knows-who. Virtually any camera made in the last 5 years or so can deliver stellar work.

Dave

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 2, 2020 4:28 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @dave

In my opinion this is a bogus data point to use for a camera/system selection, there is so much variation there.  Aside from the limitations due to it's fixed lenses, output from a current iPhone Max will compare favorably to many or most of those; actually under ideal circumstances blowing many of those snapshots away.  

I'd think camera ergonomics, specs, and system add-ons would be much more important drivers than random photos shot by who-knows-who. Virtually any camera made in the last 5 years or so can deliver stellar work.

I believed that also a while back but I have to respectfully disagree only because its hasn't  worked for me subjectively. Before this I had no reference other than buying and returning equipment which I will still do if it doesn't live up to my needs. Im picky in this respect because if im not feeling it goes back and I hate the process. 

My starting point in the past was listening to consensus and testing sites like Dxomark that never yielded results for me and I had to sell expensive equipment sometimes at a loss because I believed others and it  wasn't what I  looking for but I imagine it works great for someone else. 

Every time I have used this method it has actually resulted in my satisfaction at least at a starting point and it's not about price as I have found what I was looking for in much cheaper options when I stop listening to the hype from photography Journalists that get kickbacks from reviewing equipment. 

Its very hard to know and there are other factors like work flow and ergonomics to take into consideration  but as far as imagine quality I stopped looking at charts because that has failed me every time. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 2, 2020 4:56 pm
 Dave
(@dave)
Trusted Member

I agree with you, there is so much disinformation out there and fan-boy talk that it's difficult to use as input.  The problem with those shots is they're all over the place, but if that system works for you, it works.  Are you moving on from Fuji?

Dave

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 2, 2020 5:41 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @dave

I agree with you, there is so much disinformation out there and fan-boy talk that it's difficult to use as input.  The problem with those shots is they're all over the place, but if that system works for you, it works.  Are you moving on from Fuji?

It’s not perfect but it just one data point I use.  I also look at high resolution raw files samples and put them through the ringer.  I care less about recovery in extreme conditions or very high iso performance and more about  rendition, tonality and just subjective interpretation without being influenced by other fellow photographers and all the garbage hype on the internets from those that are high production studios presenters. I could care less if a lens is not sharp in the corners or that great wide open.  As far as where I’m going with this I don’t want to reveal it just yet. I will let you know tomorrow once I get some others to comment. 

What has not let me down is  regular folks subjective view because they are truly blind to gear acquisition syndrome.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 2, 2020 6:12 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

I finally had some time to take a look at about 4 pages of photos per link.  I'm sorry, I just am not able to discern a difference.  Perhaps if I had the ability to compare subject matter to subject matter, it might make it easier for me.  Perhaps I don't have the best computer monitor to be able to tell the difference.  Perhaps I just don't have an eye for this kind of thing.  I don't know.  Sorry I can't give you a more discerning answer.  I gave it my best shot.  I'm glad that you have access to other folks here who have a more discerning eye that I. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 2, 2020 7:20 pm
dev reacted
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

Canon Eos gets my vote. 

I have dabbled in photography. All film. Played with many different film types. My favourite was fuji superia. The photos on the canon eos have a color balance that reminds me of the fujifilm.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 2, 2020 8:06 pm
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @uncle-mush

I finally had some time to take a look at about 4 pages of photos per link.  I'm sorry, I just am not able to discern a difference.  Perhaps if I had the ability to compare subject matter to subject matter, it might make it easier for me.  Perhaps I don't have the best computer monitor to be able to tell the difference.  Perhaps I just don't have an eye for this kind of thing.  I don't know.  Sorry I can't give you a more discerning answer.  I gave it my best shot.  I'm glad that you have access to other folks here who have a more discerning eye that I. 

Don't feel sorry at all. I factored those that would not see a difference and those that would and by how much. I have come across the same situation when comparing images between two cameras which I will explain later. 

Both these cameras in this case are  very different however the fact that you don't see a difference is interesting in its self as a valuable data point.

I will have one other showdown after this and maybe you will see a difference. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 2, 2020 8:07 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @ria

Canon Eos gets my vote. 

I have dabbled in photography. All film. Played with many different film types. My favourite was fuji superia. The photos on the canon eos have a color balance that reminds me of the fujifilm.

Excellent and interesting observation.  As I mentioned I have another showdown which I will start tomorrow which you might find interesting based on your preference for Fuji traditional film.

I will give you guys my impressions after the 2nd showdown which you all should find interesting. 

Thanks to all that have taken the time to judge as it means a lot to me. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 2, 2020 8:14 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I can't tell much of a difference. Unfortunately editing takes up a lot of a camera's slack these days, editing is such a HUGE part of the photography life now. But I almost feel like the Canon is sharper. More... BAM (if I may use dumb words to describe what I'm seeing). 

Both of us know that both cameras will do amazing for most people. I'd probably choose more on ergonomics and feature sets than sensors. But I'd give a slight edge to the Canon.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 2, 2020 11:50 pm
dev reacted
(@rdawg)
Trusted Member

Not a photo critique, like what I like based mostly on content.

When I go looking for tech reviews & stuff - I usually hit up this site, as the reviews seem relatively unbiased. TVs to phone - I have no affiliation.

I can't remember if it is ok to post links, so  google Tomsguide.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 3, 2020 7:18 am
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @haloruler64

I can't tell much of a difference. Unfortunately editing takes up a lot of a camera's slack these days, editing is such a HUGE part of the photography life now. But I almost feel like the Canon is sharper. More... BAM (if I may use dumb words to describe what I'm seeing). 

Both of us know that both cameras will do amazing for most people. I'd probably choose more on ergonomics and feature sets than sensors. But I'd give a slight edge to the Canon.

Often times when those describe sharpness it’s usually micro contrast.  Sharpness is a thing but it can ruin a photograph if there is too much of it.  What gives off that impact is not necessary   the sharpness but the tonality of light and dark packed tightly.  There are also unquantifiable aspects of the image that can’t be edited in or out and that is usually what makes the photo. I find the photos that require the least amount of editing turn out this best especially when you expose to the right and bring the exposure down in post. 
At one time I had the one of the sharpest 50mm lens and it sucked because that sharpness was distracting.  

Thanks for your evaluation. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 3, 2020 8:40 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @rdawg

Not a photo critique, like what I like based mostly on content.

When I go looking for tech reviews & stuff - I usually hit up this site, as the reviews seem relatively unbiased. TVs to phone - I have no affiliation.

I can't remember if it is ok to post links, so  google Tomsguide.

Sure you can post links. I use Tomsguide a lot. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 3, 2020 8:42 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Part two is now up. Thanks for the help. 

https://www.mr2-spyder.com/community/main-forum/part-2-of-judge-my-photos/

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 3, 2020 9:43 am
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

the Fuji  photos appear more like a painting than a photo, the colors are softer and seam to be more like a brush stroke than an image. Not a bad thing. More like art.

the cannon is a more realistic image

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 3, 2020 9:44 am
dev reacted
Page 2 / 3
Share: