CAM Sensor causing ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

CAM Sensor causing no start (1zz)

(@rdawg)
Trusted Member

So there is a little background to this - Not sure where to post as this isn't maintenance or performance, etc.

Recently a leaking cap caused me to remove my intake - while engine in the car.  Not fun for those with thick hands.  but that is another thread. I dont know how to post  a link to that thread.

While in the process of component & wiring removal - I pulled the wires from a poorly done (by previous persons) wiring repair at the connection to the CAM sensor.

Luckily I had another sensor and the wiring for the connector. Or was it lucky.....I spliced the connecter on matching the color of the wires to the harness. Then upon trail with the old cam sensor, still in the head.  I determined that the new one went on to the 'new' connector easier, so I switched them out.

Upon completing the leak fix, I re-installed the intake and injectors and all wiring, etc.

Crank - no start.  It has been sitting for a while - so I think, gotta get fuel up where it belongs....crank, sputter once - then just crank. recheck wiring look for loose hoses that might make vacuum.  All sorts of things....Get code reader out - none. Check fuses.

Then - think maybe disconnect cam sensor.  Crank, sputter run. Code lights up - CAM Sensor circuit. Runs like I remember. I didn't drive it.

Shut down reconnect - CRANK for ever nothing. Disconnect,. Crank RUNs good, throttle up response is good.

Grab old cam sensor and connect outside the block.  Crank - nothing.  remove - starts fine.  While running connect old Cam sensor, keeps running.

Turn off - then crank with still connected - nothing.

Could the polarity be off? sort of a pain to pull wires from connector and switch.  I am not sure if my code reader can get Cam data- I will check.

What goes bad (harm to vehicle) if I drive it a little bit (or forever) without the CAM sensor?

By the way = I also noticed TPS lowest reading is 12.5% and always has idled high until really warmed up.  With foot mashed to the floor TPS only reads 80%

Short term fuel trims are both negative 9-11% range, 0 for long term - buy I haven't run it too much.

Spark advance seems responsive, comes up to temp, heater blows hot...all good things.

But the damn CAM sensor?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Rdawg

Topic starter Posted : July 1, 2020 10:49 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

You will wear out the spark plugs without a cam sensor and have decreased engine performance. When the cam sensor goes bad the car has an ingenious strategy of preventing you from having an accident by an immediate shut down of the engine. It does this by firing the spark plug multiple times so that it will time it Where it’ll catch At the right time of combustion. You can get by temporarily but long term damage might happen.
you should run a diagnostics of the cam sensor wires, I believe it should read 5 V if I’m not mistaken.

I forgot what the normal values for the TPS sensor is but for sure it is not 100% at full throttle. I think I remember it being near 90 but it’s been along time since I’ve recalled.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 1, 2020 11:46 pm
(@rdawg)
Trusted Member

@dev  Thanks very much DEV!

I knew it would hurt performance, but was unaware of the multi-fire scenario/operation.

I will check for 5V and peer into the BGB to see if I could have messed up the wiring.

Then switch back to other cam sensor and see if that works. 

I also switched the TPS was back when I installed the JDM engine.  It was newer, so I thought why not. Not sure what type of car it was out of.

Switching back is a little bit of a pain, but may test it out as well

Hopefully before the holiday weekend. So that I can enjoy the sun without hurting the car.

Appreciate the info - Have  a Great 4th!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 2, 2020 7:36 am
dev reacted
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

The cam sensor should have a 5v power, a ground, and a signal wire.  You would need an oscilloscope to test the signal wire while the cam sensor is installed.  I don't have my service manuals near me, but I'll check them tonight or tomorrow and get you the wire colors.

On the TPS, I would check that the trottle stop screw is properly adjusted and lets the butterfly close completely and also that your throttle cable is adjusted properly lettting the butterfly open completely.  Take off your intake  and with the key on, engine off, open the throttlebody by hand in the engine bay and see if the TPS value will go higher, Like dev said though, it won't read 100%, somewhere in the 90s(I'll have to reference my service manual again for exact specs).  If it does, your throttle cable has slack and isn't opening it up all the way.  Lastly, I'm pretty sure the TPS sensor is slotted a little around the screws to fine tune adjustments.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2020 8:40 am
dev reacted
(@rdawg)
Trusted Member

Cam sensor shows mV with ignition on, and 12 mV when running.

Looks like I can go to Connector #E4 pin 15 on the ECU to check for continuity with my splice - but where do I pick up 5V if I have to bypass the wiring harness?

I really don't want to undo more of the harness.

I hate old wiring.....not sure what else could have caused this?  

I also switched out CAM sensor (before I got voltages) of course - no change.

Hope your 4th is going well.

thanks again for any input.

Rdawg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 5, 2020 7:54 am
(@rdawg)
Trusted Member

By the way NoCoolName - my Cam sensor only has 2 wires? Black and white.

I will try to check teh TPS later this weekend, but the low voltage on the Cam PS is now the top priority.  I found a link to a Toyota service procedure that says the two wires to the CPS should have 10K ohms to ground - so checking that next looking for a short in the circuit.

Thanks for the TPS info

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 5, 2020 8:37 am
(@rdawg)
Trusted Member

so the signal wire (white) has greater than 20K Ohms resistance to chassis ground - so I think my splice and the wiring are good? But will check resistance thru harness

The grnd wire has only a few ohms resistance to ground - so also good. 

I cant see how this happened while fixing my coolant leak - but I guess my 20 years old harness didn't like being pushed out of the way when I removed the intake. and the battery was removed while I did all of this - hoping that somehow the ECM isn't the issue.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 5, 2020 4:45 pm
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @rdawg

so the signal wire (white) has greater than 20K Ohms resistance to chassis ground - so I think my splice and the wiring are good.

The 5V wire has only a few ohms resistance to ground - so I have found my culprit.  Problem will be tracing the fault.  

I cant see how this happened while fixing my coolant leak - but I guess my 20 years old harness didn't like being pushed out of the way when I removed the intake. and the battery was removed while I did all of this - hoping that somehow the ECM isn't the issue.

Hopefully you found the source.    

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 5, 2020 6:05 pm
(@rdawg)
Trusted Member

@dev nope - still digging in. didn't have much time on Sunday night to work thru. Its a daily driver when its happy, but I have a spare vehicle to hold me over.

Really hate diagnosing wiring, but I found the Cam and Crank sensor circuit in the BGB and the ECU checking.

Anyway - checking that ECU pin and the power at the CkPS is next on the list.

I put the car back up on stands - and hope to get to CkPS to check pinouts of that connector.  MR2's are a blast...when not broken

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 6, 2020 6:18 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Sorry to hear. I wish I could help but all I remember is 5 volts when you probed the wires while the car is running. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 6, 2020 8:39 pm
(@rdawg)
Trusted Member

I have edited earlier posts.  The reason I hate wiring is because I am stupid...I was mis-reading the circuit posted above.  Need to recheck a few things (Signal wire to ECU thru harness) and stop chasing ghosts.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 7, 2020 2:15 pm
dev reacted
(@rdawg)
Trusted Member

So -  a final post on this  

So I am reading up on ways to get the pulsed Cam Sensor reading and on the other site...and there IT is...

https://www.spyderchat.com/threads/help-with-start-up-i-searched-new-engine-block.123178/page-7

Roughly the same type of problem and the solution buried in the thread - and unfortunately it was in the options list from my original post but I got so tied up in checking continuity, etc...I never thought tp go back and just try it.

The JDM Engine must just have a different color code to CPS.  So, my splice was good - and all systems are fine... I just backed the wires out of the connecter - swapped locations - plugged it in and runs like a top.

What a pain, and worse  the 8 days I spent jacking around with this will make the MAF mod further down the priority list negotiated with the better half...Painting the bathroom and completing taxes have risen to the top!  The head gasket swap on the 2zz - way down the list  now.

Just glad it is back on the road and humming a long... Maybe someone else will learn from this after a JDM Swap

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 9, 2020 3:08 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @rdawg

So -  a final post on this  

So I am reading up on ways to get the pulsed Cam Sensor reading and on the other site...and there IT is...

https://www.spyderchat.com/threads/help-with-start-up-i-searched-new-engine-block.123178/page-7

Roughly the same type of problem and the solution buried in the thread - and unfortunately it was in the options list from my original post but I got so tied up in checking continuity, etc...I never thought tp go back and just try it.

The JDM Engine must just have a different color code to CPS.  So, my splice was good - and all systems are fine... I just backed the wires out of the connecter - swapped locations - plugged it in and runs like a top.

What a pain, and worse  the 8 days I spent jacking around with this will make the MAF mod further down the priority list negotiated with the better half...Painting the bathroom and completing taxes have risen to the top!  The head gasket swap on the 2zz - way down the list  now.

Just glad it is back on the road and humming a long... Maybe someone else will learn from this after a JDM Swap

Happy for you.   

If it is true that there is a different color code for the wiring for JDM harness  that is quiet relevant as someone else reported something similar long ago.  I remember that thread, full of misinformation and a lot of angry directed at me. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 9, 2020 3:46 pm
(@rdawg)
Trusted Member

@dev

to me the issue is the service manual. Maybe I need to go through it better - but I was surprised at the lack of detail for circuit diagrams.  

Still a little goofy idle, but hopefully that will settle as trims start to build up.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 9, 2020 8:44 pm
Share: