Buying Japanese coi...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Buying Japanese coilovers

(@chrioboy2)
Trusted Member

Howdy, I was investigating the possibility of buying Ennepetal or Ohlins coilovers from Japan. I know there are a few SC folks who have successfully imported Ohlins. According tot he auction assistance websites (buyee and aleado) these items are prohibited from export under "Dangerous Goods Regulations" by International Air Transport Association.

Should I fork over the cash and buy directly from RHDjapan, TPSpirits or Japan Parts and just avoid the issue all together? Or should I just Buy some KW and forget about the wet dreams of real Ohlins?

Topic starter Posted : August 5, 2019 9:58 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

The Ohlins on my friend's Evo are pretty badass. Just my 2c

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2019 10:15 pm
chrioboy2 reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

From what I remember Ohlins are real nice but require frequent rebuilding.  

The KWs will be better all around and have durability for the street. Also you have  good regional customer support when it comes to warranty issues and if you need to get them rebuilt in the future.  The KWs are also double adjustable and have great damping characteristics that was well researched. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2019 10:32 pm
chrioboy2 reacted
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

Ohlins are top notch...

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 6, 2019 7:27 am
KaM
 KaM
(@kamlung)
N00b

i'd go with KWs only because of the local support like Dev mentioned as well as they are a very reputable brand as well 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 6, 2019 8:52 am
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @kamlung

i'd go with KWs only because of the local support like Dev mentioned as well as they are a very reputable brand as well 

One of the biggest differences is the KWs are twin tube which is gong to be a lot more street friendly.  If you hit one bad bump with the monotube or just wear the seals out early  its going to be hell having to diagnose  why your car is not handling right. The more high end you go the harder it will be to maintain.  There are many compromises when getting a high end product but in the case of KW they have seemed to minimize the compromise and have proven themselves in actual events to be a superior all around product.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 6, 2019 9:29 am
(@chrioboy2)
Trusted Member

Y'all make some pretty good points. I forgot the KW was a twin-tube. I've never been to a track, probably will never need the added benefits of mono. I'm a windy warrior, that's for certain. I also like to stare at my car..., so the sexier the product, the more likely I am to buy it. It's interesting how the domestic market is flooding with coilover options for our car. From Feal, Fortune-auto, Yellow Speed Racing, Silvers and the European choice, MeisterR.

Another consideration is what my future girlfriend will think of my decision... jking.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 6, 2019 4:40 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

The whole Monotube thing is way overblown for it to be realized for most. Some twintube designs were used in racing and when you look at all of the race prepped factory cars that are tested on a track they are all twintube.  

If a twintube is designed right,  it will exceed any benefits a cheap mono tube brings.  The KW for our application has proven it’s self in actual racing events. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 6, 2019 4:52 pm
(@chrioboy2)
Trusted Member
Posted by: @dev

The whole Monotube thing is way overblown for it to be realized for most. Some twintube designs were used in racing and when you look at all of the race prepped factory cars that are tested on a track they are all twintube.  

If a twintube is designed right,  it will exceed any benefits a cheap mono tube brings.  The KW for our application has proven it’s self in actual racing events. 

I think the 2 way adjustment is what will sell me most on them. I like dialing things in, gives me the most fun per dollar and keeps me enamored with my car.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 6, 2019 5:14 pm
(@wilcomr-s)
Estimable Member

I had Ohlins on a Nissan years ago and they were great. Put about 30K on them with lots of abuse and even in an area that got snow. They held up great. That said just the logistics of getting support when it comes time to rebuild them if you are living in the US might be a PITA. If you have a Japanese friend who can translate and ship you the rebuild parts, go for it. If not, you might want to hold off.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2019 7:25 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @chrioboy2
Posted by: @dev

I think the 2 way adjustment is what will sell me most on them. I like dialing things in, gives me the most fun per dollar and keeps me enamored with my car.

The 2 way adjustment give you room for growth down the road. The KWs from everything that I have seen and the experiences from others suggest that it can fill many rolls where as other suspension systems has limitations that makes better in one area than another.  Then there are some that are just wrong  like the BC coilovers.  

Stuff that has more adjustments are not necessarily a good thing but in this case it is. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2019 9:32 am
Share: