Are they really bri...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Are they really bringing it back?

Page 1 / 2
(@hello)
Reputable Member

Anticipated to be hybrid or electric for 2024. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28119853/toyota-mr2-future-sports-car/

Topic starter Posted : July 6, 2019 11:54 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

No. They keep saying it will every year and it never does. You know why? Toyota can't be bothered to invest in a new chassis for the $26k 86 or the $51k Supra, rightfully so. Developing a new chassis is expensive, and the Toyota brand will not sell many cars alone so the profits simply are not there. Will Toyota funnel billions into a new mid engined chassis just for it to sell poorly? Absolutely not. The ONLY way the MR2 will make a return is if they partner with someone else. Either Porsche with the Boxster, or Lotus whenever the Elise becomes US legal again. Both options will result in a $60k+ base price. 

We are not getting the MR2 back as we know it because a dedicated mid engine chassis is too expensive no matter how you look at it.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2019 1:42 am
WilcoMR-S and hello reacted
(@chrioboy2)
Trusted Member

It's coming right after the return of the diesel small pickup and the manual 6 cylinder camry.

This post was modified 5 years ago 2 times by chrioboy2
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2019 1:45 am
hello reacted
(@chrioboy2)
Trusted Member

News just in, General Motors and Toyota are co-developing a new Corvair with swing axle rear suspension. Anti-sway bar will be optional.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2019 9:37 pm
WilcoMR-S and hello reacted
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2019 8:47 am
(@wilcomr-s)
Estimable Member

Sure and Ford won't screw up the new Bronco and the new Blazer is totally in the spirit of the old Blazer.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2019 10:24 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I use to think reviving the legacy stuff was a cool thing but not anymore.  It turns out the fun factor is actually buying the real vintage deal. It might be slower and not handle as great but there is something about it that makes it special. 

Its the same with movies as they are trying to capitalize on the legacy stuff and then screwing it up.  Geriatric actors are not graduating to playing grandpa rolls, they are still the action hero. 

They should just stop with all the rehash and make something original. Legacy stuff is way overrated.  

It's really sad when I can relate to my pre teen Nieces and Nephew because all they know about is how cool the 80s was including the music. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2019 10:38 am
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2019 11:14 am
dev reacted
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2019 11:57 am
(@wilcomr-s)
Estimable Member

Well, you could build a Factory Five 818C but then you lose the power brakes and ABS. I liked them until having driven one and it really was underwhelming. Not sure if my expectations were too high or what.

For the money they are asking for new cars you could by a rebadged Noble from that company in Florida.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2019 12:10 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: NottaMiata
Posted by: Dev

I use to think reviving the legacy stuff was a cool thing but not anymore.  It turns out the fun factor is actually buying the real vintage deal. It might be slower and not handle as great but there is something about it that makes it special. 

Its the same with movies as they are trying to capitalize on the legacy stuff and then screwing it up.  Geriatric actors are not graduating to playing grandpa rolls, they are still the action hero. 

They should just stop with all the rehash and make something original. Legacy stuff is way overrated.  

It's really sad when I can relate to my pre teen Nieces and Nephew because all they know about is how cool the 80s was including the music. 

Sad? Thats a blessing! Oh, wait, you said 80s, NVM. The 70s were cool, and that lasted until about '82. Then the pain started; that's about when *real* experimentation died. I refer to music here, mostly. There are still a few good, truly original movies being made.

I was moaning about this to my older brother a while back, and it dawned on me that much of this might be simple nostalgia. I implied above that the 70s were the best era for music. Somebody ten years older might well claim it was the 60s.

A case can be made about the level of raw experimentation, perhaps. From as objective a standpoint as possible, I can say the 70s saw the most experimentation in Rock and Roll (Thats what it was called, and Led Zeppelin was Heavy Metal, ya really), just by looking at radio. In the 60s, you had three minutes, or it wouldnt air. People experimented anyway. In the 70s, you could hear weird stuff being played actually on the air, and the length limit relaxed. By the mid-80s, if you didn't sound like everyone else, forget it. Just compare Missing Persons' first album to their third, for a perfect example. That's about when Rush died too (love them or hate them, they did THEIR thing for their first 15 years, and nobody pushed them around, then they too got assimilated by The Borg).

By the 90s, everything was nearly identical -- it all sounded like REM, and not much has changed since. I have yet to hear any truly original things come out like the truly *different * Larks Tongues in Aspic.

There is some objectivity that can be applied here. I haven't said if the music is "good" or "bad". But one would be hard pressed to say the level of experimentation has remained the same.

My point about nostalgia, though: experimentation does not guarantee quality. I showed my son some clips of Godzilla vs Gamara last night. That stuff is worse than I remembered it. Whew! But it was awesome then -- but we still knew it was awful at the time. The difference is, we were kids then. "Then" is just a different decade for each of us. Youth, and the things around us then, are just remembered more fondly. But there was some serious garbage created in every decade. Yet, I liked it better when the variety of stink was greater, because the variety of really killer shit was greater too.

I battled with the "its just nostalgia" argument  so I conducted  experiments  on the Nieces and Nephew. 

The first terminator got their attention. The movie was low budget but after seeing all of them they felt the first one was the best. Why because it was well made, it has continuity and surprise that had them screaming for something to be done. Its the same with movies like the Goonies and the back to the future series.  Which Star Wars movies are better and so on.  The results were incontrovertible.  

Im also a big fan of 70s music even more so than 80s music.  You can see that the party was over around 1984 trailing off abruptly at around 1987. The 90s just sucked.    

I thought it was just my experience but now I see pre teen kids all about the old stuff that I still like. This is wrong because they need to make their own identity and see middle aged people as some old guy doing the Charleston dance.  This stagnation from younger people is killing all of us and their latests antics of gong to a grocery  store,  film themselves eating ice cream and putting it back is what they call risky.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2019 12:21 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2019 12:23 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I have driven my friends Factory 5 Cobra  and it was a dream.  The non powered brakes sucked but he is getting the work around to make them much better but apart from that I loved everything about it. It was raw.  

I think it depends on how the Factory 5 was built and the kind of choices that were made but I think in many ways its the right direction if you want to make it your own and you have the stills.  

The one thing I like about my Spyder is that I made it my own and now it has that raw sensation especially after I pulled the PS and upgrade the front brakes. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2019 12:43 pm
WilcoMR-S reacted
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2019 12:55 pm
(@hello)
Reputable Member

The new mid engined Corvette is going to be far more attractive except more expensive and GM.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 12, 2019 12:59 pm
WilcoMR-S reacted
Page 1 / 2
Share: