Share:
Notifications
Clear all

All things BOOZE

Page 1 / 2
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

I figured with winter coming it is time to have. Dedicated alcohol thread.

Grumpy this is for you these sugar cubes do an amazing job of making a plain old whiskey taste like a pro perky mixed cocktail

got them as a gift and was skeptical but dam they are pretty close to hitting the mark.

https://teaspressa.com/collections/luxesugarcubes/products/manhattan-sugar-cube

This topic was modified 4 years ago by T-bone
Topic starter Posted : October 9, 2020 12:59 pm
grumpy reacted
Nelix
(@nelix)
Estimable Member

More of a beer man myself but after 20 visits to Barbados appreciate a good rum.

We bought this St Nicholas Abbey 5yo to celebrate our engagement last year and had the date inscribed on it.

https://imgur.com/q526NaT

https://imgur.com/VhNwJpA

Cranky, cantankerous, sarcastic Scottish git whose interests are beer, cars, motorbikes and scuba diving.
Currently driving a 2018 sapphire blue Porsche 718 Boxster and riding a 2020 BMW S1000R Sport..

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 10, 2020 5:00 am
dev and T-bone reacted
(@grumpy)
Reputable Member

T,

I will have to try the sugar cubes on your recommendation. 

I agree with your assessment of 90 proof being the sweet spot for bourbon...maybe stretch that to 87-90. Anything with more seems to be a bit raw or biting. The sugar cubes might just do the trick for higher proofs when I think about it. I usually like mine neat with ice water back for hydration. I don't put anything in my bourbon but my tongue. no water, no ice.

I know you like Buffalo Trace and its various products from earlier posts.

Have you looked at the Bufalo Trace website? It is really well done, for their targeted audience...middle aged men. They know their customers. Really forward looking and innovative ways to improve their brands.

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/our-brands/buffalo-trace.html.

Check all the links, especially the experimental and oak barrel project. Shows just how much they work and think how to improve their products.

Rum I like when at a beach vacation. My wife and I usually go to the mountains and I haven't near as much experience with rums, dark or light, straight or mixed.

Nelix,

Do you go bitters, ales, porter, stout,extra special bitter, or a variety of types? Generally I go extra special bitter, Stout, or Porters. Their are many micro brewers that put out good product fairly locally the last decade or so. Used to have to find a place that imported from your part of the world for good beer. Not sex on the beach...fucking near water which is most large US company made beer. You can get pretty decent strong tasing beers from the micro's now.

Blown, it is like lift, only bigger, better, longer, stronger, harder... and that’s just the car. The first Rotrex supercharged 2zz Spyder.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 10, 2020 8:28 pm
T-bone, neomr2 and Nelix reacted
Nelix
(@nelix)
Estimable Member

@Grumpy, I'm normally a lager man, but have been known to drink stout a lot also. Prefer a draught beer but some bottled is excellent.

Nothing "light" though.

Cranky, cantankerous, sarcastic Scottish git whose interests are beer, cars, motorbikes and scuba diving.
Currently driving a 2018 sapphire blue Porsche 718 Boxster and riding a 2020 BMW S1000R Sport..

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2020 5:38 am
T-bone, neomr2 and grumpy reacted
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

I am an IPA kind of guy and Williams Brewing -> https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Home-Brewing-Supplies/Williams-Brewing-Kits/American-Style-Home-Brewing-Kits

makes some awesome home brewing kits that are very easy to brew. 

IMHO, there is nothing better than fresh draft beer that is preservative free.  😎 

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2020 10:08 am
Nelix, dev and grumpy reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Im also an IPA guy. Im a big fan of Sierra Nevada. 

The only hard liquor I really like to enjoy is Chivas Regal cut with carbonated water and ice.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2020 10:25 am
Nelix, T-bone and neomr2 reacted
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @dev

Im also an IPA guy. Im a big fan of Sierra Nevada...

When I am out of fresh, I like the New Belgium Voodoo Ranger series of brews and I also like the Sierra Nevada Torpedo.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2020 3:56 pm
T-bone reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @neomr2
Posted by: @dev

Im also an IPA guy. Im a big fan of Sierra Nevada...

When I am out of fresh, I like the New Belgium Voodoo Ranger series of brews and I also like the Sierra Nevada Torpedo.

I have to try that New Belgium based on your recommendation.  Torpedo is a favorite of mine.  Some of the other newer gimmicky IPAs like Dogfish or the ones where they add a higher percentage of alcohol don't do it for me, they taste like malt liquor.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2020 4:53 pm
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

I like most beers except sours. Love a good IPA! If you can find it zombie dust from 3 Floyd’s  brewery. It is crazy good. They have a beer called dark lord that is ranke top 3 in the world most years. Very talented group. They do a hopped wheat beer crammed gumball head that is the only wheat I can drink more than one of. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 11, 2020 6:52 pm
neomr2, Nelix and dev reacted
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

@t-bone

Will see if I can find locally and give it a try.  👍 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2020 6:43 am
T-bone reacted
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member
EEE7FFEE 8315 4E43 9108 E00F63784DCF

This ic currently my favorite cocktail. The Black Manhattan. It is essentially the same recipe as a regular Manhattan but you replace the sweet vermouth with Averna, which is an aromatic amaretto of sorts. Very earthy and fits my love of alcohol only drinks.  Garnish with a makers mark cherry and you are good to go. Shake ice cold in a shaker for best results 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 12, 2020 7:22 am
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

O this is my happy place

2436D0E4 5241 465B A27D 638FD1CFFCA3

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 12, 2020 7:26 am
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

I do not have delicate tastes.  I like extremely hot foods, sour snacks and high IBU IPA tending toward the double IPA - Dogfish 90-minute, Lagunitas Maximus, Southern Tier 2XIPA . My typical go to is Cigar City Jai Alai.  On a lighter more fruity side of the IPA, I enjoy the 'haze' IPA (Voodoo Ranger has Hazey IPA). For those who are into very complex beers you have to try Victory Storm King, it takes half the beer to settle your taste buds down and actually enjoy it. It is an Imperial Stout and thankfully it stores well, unlike the IPA.  For alcohol specific drinks, in keeping with my excessive flavors, I drink Moscow Mules and sip near freezing Fireball. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 13, 2020 5:31 pm
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

Sharing a great holiday cocktail favorite. The nuts & berries: 1/3 chambord, 1/3 Frangellico, 1/3 buffalo trace Irish cream ( if you have not had this find it because it’s made with real cream refrigerate after opening). Shake in cocktail shaker with ice until you start to cry a little from the cold pain. Martini glasses for the win garnish with a handy berry or 3

A975919D EAE9 40A8 8A54 6453C5F14A19

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 22, 2020 8:20 am
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

Ok found a new one 

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/paradise-apple-thanksgiving-cocktail-bourbon-cider

I like it used stagg jr on this one where it’s 142 proof shines through. The syrup I think needs work will remake some later but the flavor is floral not too sweet or tart and jr. shines a 2x recommendation

CB6E5FC5 76FF 498C BEC2 4CB7E6E74EDA
BFFB34A3 E010 4452 BD63 CF30BE61D41E

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 25, 2020 8:58 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: