What is “login”?

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

What is “login”?

cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

So something has been bothering me.   Is the word “login” a verb?   Like smokin, runnin, or shootin?  Is “login” what a lumberjack does?   When I come to the forum, I’m prompted to see if I would like to cut logs.  These things bother me.

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

Topic starter Posted : November 17, 2020 1:58 am
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

According to "Oxford Languages", "login...noun...an act of logging in to a computer, database or system".

Another thought; to enter a username and password is to "log in"(2 separate words).

Now, go make some arm rests or use your car lift... 😉 😉 

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 21, 2020 8:24 pm
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

Ah I found the problem.  The word was invented in 1970, after I learned to read.   Dictionary.com acknowledges it’s not a proper noun.   I’ll go workin my garage fixinspyders and makinarmrests now.

“...gluing together of terms like login, logon, backup, and setup as verbs is common, especially in writing about computers. Not for everyone, however. Some well-known software companies, for example, carefully maintain the distinction in their programs and documentation.
But habits are difficult to change. Those who react to the one-word verb as an error will probably have to get used to it, and those who use the one-word verb will have to recognize that others will see it and wince.”

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 22, 2020 6:23 am
Uncle Mush reacted
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

It’s the internet, anything goes its a freeforall 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2020 2:35 pm
Share: