Notifications
Clear all

Planning for future performance

Page 1 / 2
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

Hello,

I'm going to be upgrading my hosting to a VPS (Virtual Private Server) and off of the shared hosting that it's on now.  This change is not costing me much more than my current plan.  And it's something I was looking into already.  This will allow for rapid scaling if there is a situation where traffic on this site grows quickly and suddenly.

I need to calculate a few things and will then setup the right plan for my needs and to figure out which of my users, sites, etc. I want to move to the new plan.  Anyway, when I do this, there may be some brief downtime while the site moves.  But it's possible there will be absolutely nothing noticeable.  Either way, I will post again when this is about to happen.  I will try to do this later in the evening one day this week.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

Topic starter Posted : July 1, 2019 3:54 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

If its going to cost you more I insist on behalf of   the members here that we should contribute even if its a small contribution to offset the costs. 

We all appreciate  the proactive measures and what you have done for Spyder owners by keeping this site free 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 1, 2019 4:00 pm
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin
Posted by: Dev

If its going to cost you more I insist on behalf of   the members here that we should contribute even if its a small contribution to offset the costs. 

We all appreciate  the proactive measures and what you have done for Spyder owners by keeping this site free 

Thank you for the offer, but it is literally $1/month more than I'm paying now.  and my other sites will benefit from it as well.

That should help with keeping performance more predictable and consistent.  If it turns out that we need to scale up a lot to handle the traffic and the costs go up, then I'll make that known and we can handle it with a small fund raiser.  But I want to get a sort of full account of what all goes into the forum so we can keep everyone aware of the costs and where any deficits in providing for it may be.

One thing that helps is that I am also running other businesses from my hosting.  So this isn't a cost for me that I receive zero benefit from.  it's actually inline with other things I'm doing.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 1, 2019 5:08 pm
Patrick Lipp reacted
(@hello)
Reputable Member

I am curious. What hosting do you use?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 1, 2019 7:24 pm
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

I'm on Dreamhost now.  I've had decent results with them in the past. 

If I move to anything else, it would be AWS.  I use that at my day job and am pretty familiar with their products.  Like, I really like ElasticBeanstalk from AWS.  It lets you set up a way to automatically scale for demand.  It makes deploying easy too.  However, for what this site is, it would be a bit of overkill and would require setting up a CI server like Jenkins to make managing the site easier.  Basically, it spirals into a huge project quickly.  haha.  So if we move it to AWS, it would be on a more traditional EC2 instance.

All that said, I think we can achieve a similar level of performance from Dreamhost.  And staying there makes it easier to manage as well.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 2, 2019 8:41 am
hello and Patrick Lipp reacted
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

I'm going to be initiating the move soon.  This should not result in any down time.  But if there are any issues from this move, they will be resolved today.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 2, 2019 8:59 am
KaM
 KaM
(@kamlung)
N00b
Posted by: LordTakuban

If it turns out that we need to scale up a lot to handle the traffic and the costs go up, then I'll make that known and we can handle it with a small fund raiser.  But I want to get a sort of full account of what all goes into the forum so we can keep everyone aware of the costs and where any deficits in providing for it may be.

One thing that helps is that I am also running other businesses from my hosting.  So this isn't a cost for me that I receive zero benefit from.  it's actually inline with other things I'm doing.

please keep us posted...

in the meantime, everyone buy from LT's site to help support!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2019 9:27 am
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin
Posted by: KaM
Posted by: LordTakuban

If it turns out that we need to scale up a lot to handle the traffic and the costs go up, then I'll make that known and we can handle it with a small fund raiser.  But I want to get a sort of full account of what all goes into the forum so we can keep everyone aware of the costs and where any deficits in providing for it may be.

please keep us posted...

in the meantime, everyone buy from LT's site to help support!!!

Thanks!

Right now, Cloudflare is having an outtage.  And we use that for performance reasons.  Unfortunately, that's causing the downtime right now.  I assure you it is NOT the move to the VPS.  I don't think it's even gotten to this site yet.

I will post when all is moved and everything is running as planned.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 2, 2019 10:06 am
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

Cloudflare seems to have resolved their issues.  The site seems to be rolling again well.

2019 07 02 1024

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 2, 2019 10:25 am
hello reacted
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

OK.  We are now live on the VPS!

Aside from the unrelated Cloudflare outage, there should have been no disruption to service.  And we are on much more horsepower now as well.  We have room to grow too.  And if we outgrow this capacity, increasing is simple and quick.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 2, 2019 1:48 pm
Galo reacted
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

So, it's been a while since we've been on the new hardware.  Has anyone noticed any issues or sluggishness?

Also, what types of features are we still lacking?  I'd like to get all of the "little things" ironed out as soon as we can so that the information can flow easily and the community can prosper.

One thing I've noticed is that we still need more content.  I will be starting some projects soon, but I don't know exactly when.  I'll be sure to chronolog them here as well as my other site (mr2ner.com).  But I don't know when exactly that will begin.  I'm guessing sometime in August or September.  Until this big job starts, I don't have a whole lot of other new mods to discuss.  I'll be checking each thread to see if I can add some info for people though.

Anyway, please let us know what issues you may be having or what features you'd like to see implemented.

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 13, 2019 8:59 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Every time I click on a thread in the "Unread posts" section it takes me to the last post, not the last unread post. Am I missing something? 

The title of the forum in the tab is still "Toyota Spyder MR2 - Community Forum"

I get logged out every day still. Not sure if that's my browser though.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 13, 2019 10:39 pm
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin
Posted by: @haloruler64

Every time I click on a thread in the "Unread posts" section it takes me to the last post, not the last unread post. Am I missing something? 

The title of the forum in the tab is still "Toyota Spyder MR2 - Community Forum"

I get logged out every day still. Not sure if that's my browser though.

1. I noticed that too.  I just recently updated the software that had a lot of small fixes that may fix that issue with going to the first unread post.

2. I don't know what you mean or where you're referring to on that one.  I did check all of the settings and don't see that phrasing anywhere.  A screen shot might help me to track it down.

3. I don't get logged out every day.  So it might be your settings.  When you log in, there should be a box to stay logged in or something like that.  make sure that's checked and see if it still happens.  If so, do you get logged out of other sites every day too?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 14, 2019 9:06 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

1. Hopefully! 

2. Here's a screenshot. Also is the photo feature really limited to 16 bytes? I couldn't upload a 42kb screenshot, and photos are usually 1-4MB.

3. Only Amazon, strangely enough. Every forum I'm logged in indefinitely. There's a 'remember me" box that I never ticked but I figured that's just username. I'll try it. Might be my browser either way if you're not seeing that. 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2019 9:43 am
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin
Posted by: @haloruler64

1. Hopefully! 

2. Here's a screenshot. Also is the photo feature really limited to 16 bytes? I couldn't upload a 42kb screenshot, and photos are usually 1-4MB.

3. Only Amazon, strangely enough. Every forum I'm logged in indefinitely. There's a 'remember me" box that I never ticked but I figured that's just username. I'll try it. Might be my browser either way if you're not seeing that. 

Ahhhhh.   The HTML title.  I'll see if I can fix that soon.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 14, 2019 10:30 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: