Clear all

Issues and Suggestions

Page 2 / 14
KaM
 KaM
(@kamlung)
N00b
Posted by: Dev

Before I get a ahead of myself  I want to make it 100% clear that im only enthused for this site for the ability to start over,  and do not want anyone to mistaken my suggestions   that  im overshadowing the hard work that went into making this board. I have a long history with Spyder communities and  being popular might be a benefit to giving this place the right spark to populate it ,  but I certainly do not want anyone to think I matter more or less. I just want whats best for the board so we have a home that is free.  

no one thinks that at all... but thanks for your transparency and honesty with your intentions... we are all a community and have known each other long enough through other forums... at the end of the day we are here to help each other any way we can... 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 19, 2019 10:41 am
Patrick Lipp reacted
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin
Posted by: Uncle Mush
Posted by: pattielipp

Private messages looks to be a $35 add-on, sadly.

<a href=" removed link "> removed link

I don't know website stuff, so this may seem like a stupid questions.  Is that $35 fee per member or does it cover all members.  If it is for the entire site and covers all members, I'm happy to chip that in for everyone.  Just tell me where to send the PayPal money.

Oh . . . and thanks for putting this together for us . . . for all your time, energy and money already invested.

This will be a one-time-fee for the entire site. Once purchased, everyone will have PM access.

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2019 10:46 am
KaM
 KaM
(@kamlung)
N00b

so that's weird... look at your quoted post above... removed link... 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 19, 2019 10:53 am
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

To prevent spam like what happened on the old forum there are a few precautions put in place that will be tweaked as we go along.

Here are some other limitations:

In order to attach a file you must have at least 3 posts. 
In order to post a link you must have at least 3 posts( I just changed this from 5).
A new user is under "Hard Spam control"  until they have 5 posts. - This is some algorithm that classifies a users post based on it's content and amount of words as spam or not.

There are a few other items as well that I don't remember off the top of my head. I'll be tweaking as I receive critiques from all of you based on real-world-usage.

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2019 10:53 am
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

I was trying to get a local member to join us here yesterday and he seems to be having the same problem as nelix.  

I actually found this site again doing a google  search and found that my previous posts or membership was gone which is perfectly fine so I reregistered. 

My activation was in my junk mail filter.  

We need to find a way so people can easily register and join so we can get the discussions populated and fundraising so we can be competitive with the new Spyderchat in terms of its accessibility.  

Before I get a ahead of myself  I want to make it 100% clear that im only enthused for this site for the ability to start over,  and do not want anyone to mistaken my suggestions   that  im overshadowing the hard work that went into making this board. I have a long history with Spyder communities and  being popular might be a benefit to giving this place the right spark to populate it ,  but I certainly do not want anyone to think I matter more or less. I just want whats best for the board so we have a home that is free.  

I can and will look into changing the outgoing SMTP server to use my company Google based server. This should resolve the junk mail issue.
On the note of a google search, I will be making some serious changes to the SEO of this site. Since it's now entirely wordpress based, the SEO capabilities go through the roof in terms of optimization potential. I'd be willing to say if setup properly, if a google search is done it will be in the top 5 or 10 ranking websites.

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2019 10:58 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: kamlung

no one thinks that at all... but thanks for your transparency and honesty with your intentions... we are all a community and have known each other long enough through other forums... at the end of the day we are here to help each other any way we can... 

With the last board the main Admin decided to take unilateral action that was disastrous for the community.  We gave him the power to be the deciding vote but instead he decided to make radical changes and made an Buick subform for him self.  It wasn't only him but it was also others that decided to take actions that alienated the board and eventually people started to leave what was a thriving community.  

From what I can see we are all reasonable people but as this board becomes populated there will be tough decisions that have to be made, some will not like them or you might have some that come to poison the well because they feel they are not part of it.  It happens when things get popular and we should remind people that its this is their  board and everyone is important. 

I not only want my fiends that agree with me to join but also those that I have been at odds with that are generally good people at heart.  It is very easy  to have the perception that Im leading something because of my popularity  and I just want to make it clear that I only care for a free board. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2019 11:32 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: pattielipp

I was trying to get a local member to join us here yesterday and he seems to be having the same problem as nelix.  

I actually found this site again doing a google  search and found that my previous posts or membership was gone which is perfectly fine so I reregistered. 

My activation was in my junk mail filter.  

We need to find a way so people can easily register and join so we can get the discussions populated and fundraising so we can be competitive with the new Spyderchat in terms of its accessibility.  

I can and will look into changing the outgoing SMTP server to use my company Google based server. This should resolve the junk mail issue.
On the note of a google search, I will be making some serious changes to the SEO of this site. Since it's now entirely wordpress based, the SEO capabilities go through the roof in terms of optimization potential. I'd be willing to say if setup properly, if a google search is done it will be in the top 5 or 10 ranking websites.

That would be great.  Im going get some of the regulars to join here for the time being so we can have a steady population until its easy for anyone to register. I suggest everyone should do the same but only if you have their Emails.  

Im afraid of the admins on the other site taking action against us if we use the PM system over there because they will be monitoring the activity and may try to shut down this site. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2019 11:38 am
KaM
 KaM
(@kamlung)
N00b

should we also use the Main forum as an Off Topic forum?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 19, 2019 2:28 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I think maybe both loosely Spyder community related and off topic would be appropriate for now.  I would think having more categories might just be overwhelming and simplicity would be best.  

I think the best thing we have going for us right now is that Recent posts button which is intuitive.  

Now if we can get a temporary picture on top it would really dress up the place. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2019 2:41 pm
KaM
 KaM
(@kamlung)
N00b

I think maybe both loosely Spyder community related and off topic would be appropriate for now.  I would think having more categories might just be overwhelming and simplicity would be best.  

I think the best thing we have going for us right now is that Recent posts button which is intuitive.  

Now if we can get a temporary picture on top it would really dress up the place. 

i vote uncle mush car because his car was on the cover of spyderchat for ages when they couldn't get the COTM rotation working... 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 19, 2019 2:46 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I vote yes also. That would be hilarious.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2019 3:56 pm
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

If someone can provide me with that photo i'll put it up! I think I have Devs photo up now.

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2019 4:10 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: Patrick Lipp

If someone can provide me with that photo i'll put it up! I think I have Devs photo up now.

Not so much on the main page. What I meant was on the top of the forum page next to the MR2 Spyder . 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2019 4:37 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

There is a registered  member by the name of hello that  has not received their activation email. 

Is there a way to have his account activated? 

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2019 8:35 pm
(@hello)
Reputable Member

There is a registered  member by the name of hello that  has not received their activation email. 

Is there a way to have his account activated? 

Thanks

Thanks Dev! Hi everyone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2019 8:47 pm
Page 2 / 14
Share: