Issues and Suggestions

Page 12 / 14
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @pattielipp
Posted by: @galo

I just PM-ed Patrick, KaM and Dev about a suspicious poster, and that "suspicious name" is now gone...AND, it was in the "New users intro" forum, not the main. Sorry about that

Guys, was I seeing things...

I'm not sure, but I hope there is nothing wrong.. any idea about nottamiata?

I just sent you a PM...BUT, I think it has something to do with a "politico type" post(which is now gone) in this thread.

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2019 2:46 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @pattielipp
Posted by: @galo

I just PM-ed Patrick, KaM and Dev about a suspicious poster, and that "suspicious name" is now gone...AND, it was in the "New users intro" forum, not the main. Sorry about that

Guys, was I seeing things...

I'm not sure, but I hope there is nothing wrong.. any idea about nottamiata?

Since you asked and Im just being the messenger. He was upset at the public berating from LT and decided to leave on his own accord. I tried to let him know that it was not just directed to him as I was also culpable and it was a general statement about the board but he has taken it personally.  I let him know that this board is enthusiast run and there are going to be situations like this from time to time and to just persevere and work towards getting over it and moving on. 

He does recognize that he might have been a little  over the top  but at the same time he felt that a PM would have been more appropriate as he tried to follow the rules of the board closely and felt that he did not violate any of them.

Just being the messenger, not taking sides.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2019 3:00 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

I agree with the "not aimed at "you"" mind-set. In my opinion, LT was "aiming" at "all".

I hope he reconsiders and "stays", but if he's not comfortable, it's best he does leave. I have an old saying; "you gotta do what you gotta do".

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2019 3:29 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

He edited all his old posts to say nothing? He really went all out...

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2019 3:40 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I hope im not getting ahead of myself by speaking for him or his mindset but he initially  thought about going out with a bang and letting everyone knows how he feels but decided to be a good steward and leave peacefully which I respect. In a bit of disgust he deleted his posts which he regrets now but that was his mindset at the time and understandable when you are in the moment.

Not faulting anyone here. Its a big misunderstanding.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2019 4:33 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Ok that's fair, he didn't go all out. Still a shame to lose both content and a member. I'm in agreement with LT though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2019 5:03 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

It is unfortunate.  Those that are helping in whatever capacity to keep the board running are doing so for the benefit of making sure it works. They are members here and should be able to enjoy the board as a full member.  I think that is one of the big misunderstandings because people on other boards abuse their power and get off on a power trip when people cozy up to them.  We are all equal and hold no special authority on anyone and at the same time should be able to enjoy posting our own opinion, dislikes and arguments without having it conflated as being a representative of the board.  We are all the representatives of the board and some of us are just holding the keys.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2019 5:39 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I am a mod for Toyota Nation (which BTW got the same treatment as Spyderchat this week, in case you're interested) and I'm in charge of a Corolla section. Almost anything goes as long as people stay civil and mild. We let our threads devolve into random discussions, and we enjoy it. My build thread has endless gone into tangents for 10 pages at a time and it's wonderful. The people that occupy that section are wonderful and we never have issues. So I'm not the guy to say "stay on topic, no politics, period." But this thread SHOULD be kept clean. And in general, long political rants IMO should be abstained from in threads unrelated to rants or politics. Mentions of politics in mild ways, perfect fine. 

It's a balance that needs to be reached. Explored and determined. Here at MR2-Spyder, we're all on the same team. We're a weird, dysfunctional family of sorts. I think it'll be pretty easy to get along no matter the differing opinions. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2019 7:00 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)
Posted by: @haloruler64

. . .  "We're a weird, dysfunctional family of sorts. I think it'll be pretty easy to get along no matter the differing opinions." 

I try to do my part to put the FUN back in dysfunctional.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2019 7:25 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Uncle Mush you are a beacon of fun

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2019 7:40 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

We're a weird, dysfunctional family of sorts.

How dare you say I'm part of a weird family... 🤔 🤨 😉 😉 

Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2019 8:22 pm
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

Interesting.  My post was meant to be a loud notice that political posts should be contained to their own space (be it an entire forum, or just a thread).  It's unfortunate the person didn't want to remain afterwards and then deleted the content of his posts.  Maybe they will come back at some point in the future.  Maybe not.  Like some of you have mentioned before, we are all owners of this board.  We are like a board of directors with a product.  My post was not to state that I'm the one who makes the rules and only me.  I was just voicing my strong opinion on a matter.

My thoughts on thread drift are that they are completely fine (provided they aren't just a bunch of political back and forth of course).  It's what gives the threads a real discussion type feel.

Anyway, please continue to post things that could be improved with the software or hardware of the site.  Hopefully, we'll be able to get some time to resolve the outstanding items soon.  Some of them, like I mentioned, will likely require some development intervention.  I'll look into how to add extensions to this plugin and see about adding one of the little things to start with.  No promises on timeline for that though.  Sorry.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2019 8:42 pm
Galo reacted
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

LT, literally the only thing I feel is needed now is for clicking a link to go to the first unread post and not the last lost. Whether this is directly clicking a link (like SC) or clicking an icon next to the link (like HID Planet), this is a pretty critical feature. Clicking a link in unread posts and scrolling up to see where you last read, sometimes switching pages, is agony when no other forum does this. And of course don't take this criticism personally, I know you guys are using oddball software which actually has advantages. 

Otherwise you guys have done a fantastic job of making this forum super clean and usable. I really have no complaints, it works well. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2019 8:52 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Uncle Mush you are a beacon of fun

I love bacon.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2019 12:17 am
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

LT, literally the only thing I feel is needed now is for clicking a link to go to the first unread post and not the last lost. Whether this is directly clicking a link (like SC) or clicking an icon next to the link (like HID Planet), this is a pretty critical feature. Clicking a link in unread posts and scrolling up to see where you last read, sometimes switching pages, is agony when no other forum does this. And of course don't take this criticism personally, I know you guys are using oddball software which actually has advantages. 

Otherwise you guys have done a fantastic job of making this forum super clean and usable. I really have no complaints, it works well. 

I agree.  I'm going to look into how the data is stored and see if it's possible to make only some code changes for it to work.  That will be the first mod that I'll work on.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 12, 2019 8:29 am
haloruler64 reacted
Page 12 / 14
Share: