Share:
Notifications
Clear all

A2A Charge Cooling solutions

(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

To start some more traffic on the site I want to start a conversation about A2A charge cooling on our cars. 

As some of you know I am/have been planning on turboing my car using a partial TopSecret turbo kit. I don't want crazy power, just similar to what a 2zz would make, except having the torque curve of a turbo 1zz. I'm expecting to run between 5-7PSI of boost, so it's not much on the T5170 turbo which was produced by Greddy/Trust. 
I've been contemplating various methods of charge cooling and am expecting to A2W cool it in the future, but for "Educational/proof of concept" purposes I wanted to try various methods of charge cooling to see how the effects are and if it's even plausible. I like the thought of a reliable A2A cooling solution. 
I obviously know A2W would be the best option, but, I like to "Play" with things and find the experimentation to be fun. Also, not being a high boost/horsepower setup, there isn't nearly as much at risk, so I'm going with the "What the hell, Why not?"

I have two thoughts, first being a side mount and the second being a top mount intercooler. The side mount is what I would ideally like to do so it's not sitting over top of a hot exhaust. In a top mount setup I would have a fan in a pulling setup sucking air down from the vent on the Trunk slits. I don't really like this, but it was an option I thought of. 

For the sidemount, I've been looking at other vehicles with small sidemount options already available so that I'm not reinventing the wheel(even though I am by doing the unknown with this).. Taking a sidemount from an SW20 and re-purposing it and installing it on the Driver side, or a VW Golf sidemount, etc. 
Some caveats, I will have C-One side vents installed, so when moving the airflow will be slightly more tan normal, and I will also have some sort of fan system.

Thoughts, Feelings, Opinions, Emotions...

SW20 Sidemount

Top mount????? HUH?

FRONT MOUNT?!? now they're just doing some weird stuff with the SW20...

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

Topic starter Posted : June 20, 2019 12:23 pm
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

Post by LT

I went A2W. There is a little more involved with it, but it's more compact in the engine compartment and will actually cool the charge better. The biggest expense is the barrel charge cooler. ... Come to thing of it, I might have an extra PWR barrel cooler that I may be willing to sell. But I need to do a real inventory of all the crap in my garage first.

... Anyway, if you are definitely only doing A2A, then the most common one I've seen is towards the bottom rear of the car with a little scoop thing directing air into it. I don't know if that's a good design, but it is fairly popular. I don't think you'll get that much air in a side mount unless you enhance the scoops.

Top mount might work, but would look really nasty. and be exposed to sunlight which will cook it.

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 20, 2019 12:24 pm
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

I thought about a bottom mount, but unfortunately, I am the owner of one of rcntypes rear diffuser/under panel, so no airflow there... Big Grin  I guess I want to try and keep the system simple with less electronics, wiring, etc. And feel like the low boost levels that I desire make that achievable in sorts. but, I know that a2w has much more head room, better temps, etc.. maybe I'm just trying to be cheep since I have so much else to buy still? Come to think about it, that's really my only reasoning....  Undecided  I'm to damn cheep..

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 20, 2019 12:26 pm
joluthgo_2
(@joluthgo_2)
Eminent Member

A2W is definitely the way to go, and if you piece it together it's really not THAT expensive for vastly superior results. There just aren't many optimal locations for an A2A cooler on our cars

RALEIGH, NC
125k miles, Fortune Auto 500 Series Coilovers (4k/6k), Hard Top, 6spd w/ LSD, TTE Exhaust, TTE Spoiler, TTE Roll Bar
Advanti Storm S1 wheels in 16x8 with 205/45/r16 Continental ExtremeContact UHP All-Seasons

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 22, 2019 4:38 pm
Patrick Lipp reacted
Master Z
(@master-z)

What about A2A with meth injection when needed?

I was toying with the idea of plumbing a meth kit inline and adding couple Spal fans pulling on the intercooler.

I think this set up would be way cheaper than a A2W kit.

I'd have to figure out a way to monitor the air intake temps and have the meth kick on at a a certain temp to bring the incoming air to a more manageable temp.  I'm sure most modern Standalones i.e. Link ECU etc could handle this, but what about a PFC?

I would be doing a turbo build in stages.  First, a stock motor with turbo under 10psi running a PFC.  Then built bottom end more boost and Link ECU.  Just seeing how I could incorporate meth into the mix.

Any insight would be welcome.

Also what would be the cost to piece together an A2W kit?

This post was modified 2 years ago by Master Z
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 13, 2021 2:43 pm
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

I did Meth/Water injection with A2W.  There aren't many good solutions for A2A, but I'm sure some will work.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 20, 2021 9:17 pm
(@golgoroth)

Top mount A2A isn't the best place to mount. Airflow from under the car comes up through the engine bay and comes out those vents. You will be fighting against the aerodynamics of the car it self trying to get air to flow in the opposite direction.

You can find a few youtube videos with string tufts attached to the back of the car for figuring out correct wing placement that shows this air flow.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 20, 2021 9:48 pm
Master Z
(@master-z)

What do you think of the revamped TPS shop car's A2A setup?

TPS Turbo1
TPS Turbo3
TPS Turbo2

Full vid is here:

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 16, 2021 5:07 pm
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

Interesting...  I'm not sure how much airflow it will get, but it's good that the ducting may shield some of it from the heat.

After watching the video, it looks like only a tiny part of the IC will get air flow.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 24, 2021 2:17 pm
Share: