Share:
Notifications
Clear all

2ZZ-GE or 2AR-FE

Page 2 / 3
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

So I was lucky enough not to buy into all the 2zz hype , I've been to many spyder meets where I road in them , I've drove behind them , and now I own a spyder with one and I'm still not impressed . Yes they rev and sound good but all bark and no bite comes to mind . I've done probably 4 or 5 1zz replacements and never once considered a 2zz , for me they don't seem worth the extra expense .

2ar .... as mentioned above both the 1zz and 2zz are getting harder to find so with the 2ar you can find very low mileage engine for cheap . Also and the biggest reason was to further my education (mostly wiring ) and the pleasure of working with Marc . I had a blast and learned a lot doing this swap and glad I did it . So going in I knew the horsepower wasn't going to be my final destination but knew I'd end up with a reliable good driving spyder ... and that's what it is . One of the best things I like is the torque , it makes it so easy to just lug it around town or if you want you can rev it to 7k  . The 6speed shifts factory like ... I wish 1st and 6th were a little taller but opinions will very . The exhaust being on the firewall side is not ideal especially if you like tinkering with the exhaust ...like me . So at the end of the day I wouldn't call it a rocket but it is way more fun than it use to be . So 2gr is next after a 1zz replacement .... I'm guessing the 2gr is going to be the sweet spot I'm looking for . 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 27, 2020 12:19 pm
neomr2 reacted
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

@phats Thanks Phats! I think the 2AR may be what I need, primarily because of the torque down low and (I think) 200 HP will be fine. Much appreciated!

This post was modified 4 years ago by DesertWanderer

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 27, 2020 3:48 pm
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

@desertwanderer

You know since it only has 28k miles I'd be tempted to 1zz it and buy another for the 2ar swap ... lol

They seem to be getting some good money for low mile 04 / 05's .....

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 27, 2020 4:14 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

@phats That might be a better plan but I gave $1100 for this one with the locked engine. And I love it!

This post was modified 4 years ago by DesertWanderer

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 27, 2020 5:02 pm
(@mr2zeal)
Eminent Member

What are the weigh differences between the two engines and corresponding transmissions? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2020 11:09 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

@mr2zeal Thanks for that. Another question that went over my head. I will see!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 29, 2020 8:53 am
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @mr2zeal

What are the weigh differences between the two engines and corresponding transmissions? 

The 2ar with the eb60 6spd. adds about 80-100 lbs. over the 1zz / c56 5spd.  The 2zz with the c60 6spd. will be heavier than the 1zz /c56 but not as much as the 2ar . I've never done the 2zz so I don't know how much .

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 29, 2020 9:04 am
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Three Spyders now... Pretty soon I will have a Spyder Ranch nearly local to me!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 29, 2020 4:17 pm
neomr2 reacted
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @marsrock7

Three Spyders now... Pretty soon I will have a Spyder Ranch nearly local to me!

Yeah .... he's horning in on all my action , just so he stays in Texas it will be ok . lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 29, 2020 4:24 pm
neomr2 reacted
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

@phats Phats is my role model!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 29, 2020 4:37 pm
phats reacted
(@rdawg)
Trusted Member

I have not yet had the pleasure of driving a 2ar equipped Spyder, but own a 1ZZ and 2ZZ.

I dont think I would call the 2zz swap -hype. It is an in-expensive swap and as DEV stated - intake and exhaust selection are critical for the 2ZZ. For the 2ZZ you really need the 6 spd (IMO) which pushes cost up.

I popped a head gasket on my 2ZZ - perhaps due to a corked up exhaust. A project I am not looking forward to fixing.

About to try the MAF mod on the 1ZZ, so I will see if it changes around town drivability enough to ward off other engine mods.

Good luck with your decision - looking forward to hearing what you chose.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 31, 2020 7:50 am
dev reacted
 Marc
(@marc)
Trusted Member

I'm happy to see the 2AR-FE swap is getting some consideration. I'm subscribing to this to answer any technical questions that come up but i'll stay out of the opinion part of this since i am obviously biased.

I will say this though, the A/C which is the last hold back for many is getting resolved right now (and there's an appropriate thread in this forum if you want details, i won't pollute this thread further.)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 1, 2020 8:43 pm
WilcoMR-S and dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @marc

I'm happy to see the 2AR-FE swap is getting some consideration. I'm subscribing to this to answer any technical questions that come up but i'll stay out of the opinion part of this since i am obviously biased.

I will say this though, the A/C which is the last hold back for many is getting resolved right now (and there's an appropriate thread in this forum if you want details, i won't pollute this thread further.)

We are not that kind of board. Pollute away and have all the bias in the world to sell it. We are a small friendly hobby site first without that kind of malicious sentiment that you are crossing boundaries. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 1, 2020 8:49 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @marc

`Please weigh in as you wish. I would love to benefit from your knowledge and research!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 1, 2020 8:59 pm
(@mscholten)
Eminent Member
E2BEED74 1F1E 4F54 8E6E 2564EF983387
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 1, 2020 9:18 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share: