1ZZ vs 2ZZ head mea...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

1ZZ vs 2ZZ head measurements

Page 1 / 2
(@superhero)

Hi guys,

Thinking of making the 2zz swap. I would then need to make a change to the exhaust manifold. While at it I could as well make a new header from scratch. While making my current 1ZZ exhaust I used an ebay header but don't really like it. My question is if I could use my current header as a jig for the new header. Does the 1zz and 2zz have the exhaust manifold flange at the same locations?  If the 1ZZ was fixed and you just swapped engines would the flange mate against the 2zz head without any movements in XYZ? (I know the bolt pattern differ, but that's not my question here)

[img] [/img]

[img] removed link [/img]

This topic was modified 5 years ago by Superhero
Topic starter Posted : June 29, 2019 2:22 am
chrioboy2 reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

There is pretty much no way to do this without a 2zz flange. In the early days before swap parts some people  were able to get a 2ZZ flange and then weld in the 1ZZ header. Thats pretty much what the EBay header is.   My advise  is to just pony up the money and get the swap header from DDPR rather than MWR because they build them better.  Or you can buy the PPE race header.  

The reason why you shouldn't make your own is primarily because the swap header design has been engineered for power. The original Swap header was designed by Little Rocket who went though several iterations until he was able to get one that produced the most power.  This is something you cant eyeball and if you are slightly off you will lose power because the pulses needs to be timed precisely otherwise it will mess up the scavenging and reduce flow.    

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2019 9:46 am
(@superhero)

I'm an fairly advanced user of life 🙂 I just wonder if the layouts of the heads are same or different between 1zz and 2zz. 

If I could use my 1zz header as a jig or do I need to fit the 2zz first, then make the header not if its hard or not making a proper header hehe 🙂 

I tried to attach a picture in the first post that would explain it all

This post was modified 5 years ago 2 times by Superhero
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 29, 2019 11:21 am
(@superhero)

This is what I need. I made it all flexible in CAD so I can adjust the jig really easy later on. All made from 90 or 45degree bends with variable length straight pieces in between for ease of manufacturing. Will se if the CNC pipe bender can do it or if I need to weld it from loose parts.

[img] [/img]

This post was modified 5 years ago 2 times by Superhero
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 30, 2019 2:22 pm
chrioboy2 reacted
(@superhero)

La la la, comparing flanges. Ports are not lining up, but again that's not my question 🙂 I need to know the location of the flange. The 1ZZ leans backwards by about 10degrees etc...  same, close or different on 2zz?!

[img] [/img]

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 4, 2019 7:30 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Although both engines are supposed to fit the same dimensions  and angles they are slightly off.  The 2zz sits slightly higher but on the whole everything is close and after using one of the many swap header options the rest of the 1ZZ components like the downpipe lines up. In fact the cheap Chinese 2ZZ swap header is nothing more than a 1ZZ header on a 2ZZ flange.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2019 10:55 am
chrioboy2 reacted
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

YGPM...

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2019 10:13 pm
(@superhero)
Posted by: Galo

YGPM...

Thanks <3

As the engines are close but not the same my approach of doing it will be to make a 1ZZ flange with 2ZZ spacing of the cylinders. Then build my header and run it on the 1ZZ until winter and 2zz swap. When swapping to 2zz I will "just" chop the 1zz flange and weld on a new 2zz flange with the runners a bit compressed to the oval shape....

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 9, 2019 4:19 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

It sounds like double the work but if it makes you happy go for it.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 9, 2019 11:01 am
(@superhero)
Posted by: Dev

Half the work with one header for both engines. Strange attitude on this forum....

This post was modified 5 years ago by Superhero
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 9, 2019 3:36 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: Superhero
Posted by: Dev

Half the work with one header for both engines. Strange attitude on this forum....

Are you saying I have a strange attitude. I think that is being rude when I was trying to be helpful. 

I just see things from a logical perspective. Would you recommend that I agree with what you are doing and not offer a counter  point  that is food for thought as that is what forums are about. 

Making a header for two engines is well a little weird when you are going design and  use it eventually for one specific engine. There is no advantage to using this header for your 1ZZ is its a complete waste of energy. I wish you the best of luck but I would just wait for your 2ZZ and build your header once as there is no advantage to do it especially when you don't have the engine or the flange . At a minimum you should have a 2ZZ flange for comparison.  When you have the 2zz installed you get everything mounted up perfectly because not all engines sit relatively the same even between some 2ZZs if the engine mounting is slightly off.  There is some wiggle room with flex sections and such but its just that much easier when you have exact measurements otherwise you can stress your exhaust components and then you will crack your header. 

Also if you are not calculating for exhaust flow and not have the car dyno tested for power  you are going to lose power with your 2ZZ.  Thats just the reality of it and Im sorry but I have to point it out even it seems strange.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 9, 2019 3:51 pm
Cap
 Cap
(@cap)

Strange attitude on this forum....

No really..  we just all think differently..  that is what this forum is for.. bouncing different ideas.. 

Cap

You Can't Fix Stupid..

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 9, 2019 8:41 pm
CSPIDY reacted
Refirendum
(@refirendum)
Trusted Member

i was wondering why superhero had deleted some of his posts. now it seems i know .

03 spyder

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 13, 2019 1:54 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I think it's an intriguing idea. One header design that can be used for both engines, in the sense that you can build ONE HEADER and sell it for both 1ZZ and 2ZZ customers with just a different flange. For himself, sure it makes little sense, but for the world, it does. Another person making parts for our cars is nothing but good.

Though that design does look expensive to manufacture. And I'd personally prefer a 4-2-1 design.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 13, 2019 3:08 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: haloruler64

I think it's an intriguing idea. One header design that can be used for both engines, in the sense that you can build ONE HEADER and sell it for both 1ZZ and 2ZZ customers with just a different flange. For himself, sure it makes little sense, but for the world, it does. Another person making parts for our cars is nothing but good.

Though that design does look expensive to manufacture. And I'd personally prefer a 4-2-1 design.

Its already been done and its robs lots of  power. Every header needs to be designed for the specific engine otherwise its just something that allows you to hook up exhaust components for the sake of doing it. 

The only thing similar between the 1ZZ and 2ZZ is the closeness in dimensions to fit the same application otherwise the engines are very different in many respects internally that will be very apparent on the header design.  They are not like Hondas. 

There were a few in the past that was frustrated because they wanted to desperately mount a 2ZZ head on a 1ZZ block and no matter how much we tried to bring logic into the conversation they were egged on by people that told them to do it. One guy tried to go though with it with his crazy schematics of how he could get it to line up but in the end these people just disappear.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 13, 2019 3:19 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: