Clear all

Exhausting Cabin Air

Page 2 / 2
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @dev
Posted by: @haloruler64

You can get clear window tint that has the same UV protection as dark tint Dev. Great idea for keeping a vehicle cool. My untinted Lexus keeps so much cooler than my other cars in direct sun, of course it has factory UV glass. 

Problem with solar panels is that the output is super low. So I don't believe you'll get much flow going with a basic, cheap panel.

I don’t have a problem with real tinted windows as long as they are not too dark.  The problem I have is with any film over glass that ruins the optical quality and makes it look cheap and plasticity from the outside. Most glass cuts down on UV radiation and some are better but on the whole I feel that the little bit of factory tint on most cars looks far more elegant and less cheap.  Most concourse, vintage and high end autos I have seen do not use film tint. 

"Any film over glass ruins optical quality, and makes it look cheap and plasticy from the outside"....?????

What?  

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 11, 2019 11:29 am
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @pwnzor
Posted by: @dev
Posted by: @haloruler64

You can get clear window tint that has the same UV protection as dark tint Dev. Great idea for keeping a vehicle cool. My untinted Lexus keeps so much cooler than my other cars in direct sun, of course it has factory UV glass. 

Problem with solar panels is that the output is super low. So I don't believe you'll get much flow going with a basic, cheap panel.

I don’t have a problem with real tinted windows as long as they are not too dark.  The problem I have is with any film over glass that ruins the optical quality and makes it look cheap and plasticity from the outside. Most glass cuts down on UV radiation and some are better but on the whole I feel that the little bit of factory tint on most cars looks far more elegant and less cheap.  Most concourse, vintage and high end autos I have seen do not use film tint. 

"Any film over glass ruins optical quality, and makes it look cheap and plasticy from the outside"....?????

What?  

Yes. Film tint looks like film tint.  Glass looks like glass.  It might not matter to most as they like tinted windows but  others that have high end or vintage  cars they do not use film tint for this reason.  Glass has an optical quality about it that gleams even when it is factory tinted as you find on some SUVs.  

I can even tell the difference between high end sunglasses that use glass vs plastic. Although some plastic lens might actually be better these days compared to glass in terms of some of the newer coatings they apply for cutting out glare and reducing weight  they still look cheap on the outside.  

Its the same with screen protectors. The tempered glass looks way better than the plastic. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 11, 2019 11:39 am
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @mrsponz

Hmm. Anyone seen this? If the link is no good, google solar car cooler

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Solar-Car-Ventilation-Fan-Car-Gill-Cooler-Heatsink-Auto-Car-Ventilation-Fan-Dual-mode-Power-Supply-High-power-Black/577772104?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=18183&adid=22222222227302216122&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=374451202975&wl4=aud-430887228898:pla-795408498953&wl5=9031069&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=125210735&wl11=online&wl12=577772104&veh=sem

Interesting. It looks like its blows on you.  Probably something that is used if you are waiting for someone and you don't want to use the cars ventilation system because of battery drain. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 11, 2019 11:48 am
(@wilcomr-s)
Estimable Member

Didn't the show Hack My Life do one on this very thing?

They even showed the easy free way to evac the hot hair before you get in.

My wife's MB has the clear solar tint on it and it might come down to the quality of the product used and the person installing it but there's no difference in how it looks from before to after the dealership installed it. It made an obvious difference in how hot her car was this last summer here in central Texas.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 11, 2019 11:58 am
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @petrus

As it is a soft top, there is not much sense in being anal about security. I thus often just leave the top down or the windows several cms open and don´t lock the doors. When parking I do try to angle the car such that it gets least direct sun onto the black surfaces.

I am not that fragile but to avoid a scorched bum, the gfs have a light coloured flanel or such on the seat.

That sounds way to easy .... lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 11, 2019 12:03 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

Sigh, late to the party again.

I am gonna be super upset if I start hearing about flywheel cars and regenerative-braking-powered air compressor turbo mini-burst kits. Yeah. Super upset.

Those window units do indeed look like science projects, just polished up a bit. Terrible...

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 11, 2019 2:10 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

@nottamiata

Flywheel cars? Did you mean flywheel bus?

Or gyro car?

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 11, 2019 5:05 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

@marsrock7

What I had in mind was a bit simpler: the flywheel transfers mechanical energy directly to the wheels with a standard transmission. I never came up with any elaborate plan to get energy into the flywheel, but that seems un-complicated also.

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 12, 2019 8:01 am
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

Throwing out an idea - exhausting hot air seems like trying to deal with a problem after the fact.   I suspect time/money would be better spent trying to prevent the problem upstream.  Hot air results from hot surfaces, which result from black-body radiation.  I think effort spent on reflective materials and covers for the seats and dashboard will be the most effective way to reduce cabin temps.

Light colored covers for the dash and seats would limit heating from sunlight.  Radiated heat from the ragtop might be helped with an extra layer of material to create an air gap.  There is a “headliner” piece of material from Bow #2 to bow #3 on the ragtop.  I’ll wager that the inner surface temperature of the headliner piece is significantly lower than the exposed piece of ragtop between bow#1 and b0w #2.  I don’t see why a second “headliner” piece couldn’t be fitted between the first two bows to further minimize re-radiated heat from the ragtop material.

This post was modified 4 years ago 4 times by cyclehead

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 12, 2019 10:13 am
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @cyclehead

Throwing out an idea - exhausting hot air seems like trying to deal with a problem after the fact.   I suspect time/money would be better spent trying to prevent the problem upstream.  

Over here in the south everyone has an alu foil covered folding screen they put behind the windscreen. It makes a mássive difference indeed. Just a few € and a small routine effort.

Since I simply leave the top down I don´t bother.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 14, 2019 6:29 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: