Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Adding some Relays for water pump and halos in frunk

LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

After I finished relocating the battery to the frunk, I decided to change up my wiring for controlling the a2w intercooler's water pump.  And, I plan to do some Halo light stuff sometime after I've finished this engine project.  So I bought a fuse and relay box on amazon and got to wiring some stuff up.

I will be running power into the box and then a switched 12v that will be on when the ignition is on.  I'll be grounding somewhere near where I mount the box.  I am using glow-Fuses so if they blow, it will be easy to spot.  Well, that's the plan anyway.

The only things I haven't sorted out completely yet are:

• Where am I going to tap into a switched power source?
    • I have one option of using a wire that I'm already running into the frunk area from the cabin or I'd like to find a wire that's already switched that way inside the frunk somewhere and tap into that one.  I should point out that I have currently cut my DRL light inside the cabin so using an add-a-fuse for the DRL fuse will not work in this instance.
  • Where am I going to mount the box?
    • It's small and has a couple of standoffs with holes but I just don't know where I'm going to put it yet.
  • I need to sleeve the wires.  I will be waiting on this until I know where I'll be mounting the box and then have the lengths and routes planned for all the wires.  So this will have to depend on where the box is mounted, then I need to decide on my routes for the wires.  That's why you will see a bunch of spools connected to the box and no sleeving yet.

Oh yeah.  I almost forgot the pics of my progress and handy work so far...

FuseBox Bottom InProgress
FuseBox Bottom Finished
FuseBox Top Finished
FuseBox Top Labeled

Yes.  Yes, I did design and print out a little legend decal for under the lid to the fuse/relay box.  This project wasn't going to over engineer itself!  hahaha

This topic was modified 2 years ago by LordTakuban

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

Topic starter Posted : October 13, 2022 1:52 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Love that box! I should do the same at some point, I have 3 relays that are just lying in the frunk bin as the 3M mounting tape on them failed.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 14, 2022 6:42 am
LordTakuban reacted
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

I grabbed 12v from this metal buss bar in the frunk relay box.   I forget if it’s switched or always hot.

C08C6195 A8B2 4AD4 9F2E 201077CA0FCC

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 14, 2022 7:03 am
LordTakuban reacted
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

Haloruler, yes you should!  It's cheap and super easy.

cyclehead,

Thanks.  I'll check to see if I can find any info about that from the wiring diagrams I have.  I could also test once the battery is hooked up and the PFC is plugged back in.  I'll be sure to post what I find out in this thread.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 14, 2022 5:10 pm
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

That buss bar (and the whole relay block #4) gets power from the 100amp alternator fusible link.  

B3538F1C B9DB 4730 BAC4 B04739EF16EF
F7D2701C E5E1 41A4 B12C 38DDDBA729C8
52E2315C 0610 464C AB26 FF76477E2696

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 15, 2022 12:52 am
LordTakuban and CSPIDY reacted
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

Awesome!  Thanks for posting that.  That will help a lot (Not just for me, but for others wanting to find a switched power source in the frunk).

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 19, 2022 5:37 pm
Share: