Estimable Member

NottaMiata,

Thanks for the levity!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 14, 2019 6:51 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Again, they're not for towing. They're recovery points. You screw a tow hook into them and a tow truck can pull your car out of a ditch. Almost all cars have plastic covers in the bumper to remove with a nut underneath to screw a tow hook into. 

I repeat, they're NOT for towing. Sure we can use them as such. But they have a well defined purpose. And one that's for quick gentle pulls, not for sustained loads.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 14, 2019 7:47 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Sustained loads gives way to fatigue in time. In order to do it safely it needs to be overbuilt.  
You would essentially need to reinforce the rear frame and crash bar. By the time it’s complete you just added over 50lbs if not more.  Our cars are flimsy in comparison to a real car. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 14, 2019 8:47 pm
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

Hi thinking about adding a proper bike rack no towing for sure are these still available? Is there a step-by step install 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 18, 2020 9:00 am
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

Fast motion removal.  

https://i.imgur.com/cRGcH7E.mp4?fbclid=IwAR3H7RAd3BylPwZFNws1Dh_eiTjnNMLjftNVdcEjEs1vf0344iR3WTDSWnI

This post was modified 4 years ago by cyclehead

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 19, 2020 5:11 am
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

The fabricator is building a custom polished aluminum Grumman step van and starting a new business.   He said he had quit making these.  Not sure when he will make another batch.  
Drop him a note on his site... https://www.mr2spydercrew.com

This post was modified 4 years ago by cyclehead

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 19, 2020 5:14 am
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @dev

Sustained loads gives way to fatigue in time...

I’m going to disagree with this.   Fatigue is a function of cyclic loading. Not a function of time.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 19, 2020 5:21 am
dev reacted
Page 3 / 3
Share: