Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Shipping your car

cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

I wrote up this summary when I bought my spyder in California, and had it shipped across country to Georgia.

Hopefully the lesson's learned will be helpful!

Here's what I've learned about shipping cars.
1. Brokers: Almost all "shipping companies" are brokers. Brokers don't own any tractor-trailers. They list your car-to-be-shipped on a clearing house board, and wait for carriers (who DO own trucks) to accept the job. If you have a good experience with DAS today, you may have a completely different experience with DAS tomorrow because it's a different carrier each time. DAS may have some clout to encourage the carrier du jour to be on-time, or to be careful with your car. Maybe not.
2. Commercial Carriers: There are a limited number of commercial carriers who will deal directly with the public. (Horseless Carriage, Gran Turismo etc) Just because they own their own business and their own tractor-trailers, you may still have trouble with pick up and delivery dates and damage to your car. Read the horror stories under google searches.
3. Private carriers: Small trailer carriers are around. I believe they cost quite a bit more than commercial tractor-trailer transport. The benefit is you’d be dealing with one individual. I’m not sure if you could find an enclosed private carrier.
3. Pickup & Delivery: Always leave a two-week window for both. A commercial truck does not want to drive with a partial load. They will sit for days(weeks?) waiting for bids to appear on the clearing house board so they can fill up all the slots before heading across country. If your car is one of the first on the truck, it won’t go anywhere until the truck is full. If the broker is trying to maximize his profit, he will post your car on the boards for a low price. If no carriers accept, he may raise the price after a few days. These practices explain why it takes so long to get your car picked up. Delivery should be a little more definite if you can get truthful information from the driver or dispatcher. I’m not clear on how well brokers communicate with carriers, or customers.
4. Open or enclosed: You can choose to have your car carried on an “open” or “enclosed” truck. Open trucks are more susceptible to vandalism and hail damage. Enclosed trucks are not as plentiful (affects pickup and delivery timing) and more expensive.
5. Horror stories: From google searches, I’ve read of cars taking 3 months to arrive (car sat on a trailer in a shipping yard), damage from brake fluid leaking from the car above, 100 extra miles magically appearing on the odometer during transit, price hikes after you agree to ship your car (and agree on the cost), plus innumerable stories of hardship due to unreliable pickup and delivery dates. If you understand how the system works, you won’t be shocked by the delays filling a truck for a long trip. If you use a broker, you will be relying on his clout with the carrier to resolve any problems that crop up.
6. Tricks: Some “transport review” websites PAY customers to post glowing reviews of their broker service.
7. Precautions: Record odometer before shipping. Document the condition of your car before shipping to aid in any damage claims.

Corrections to this narrative are welcomed.

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

Topic starter Posted : June 19, 2019 1:25 pm
hello reacted
KaM
 KaM
(@kamlung)
N00b

this might be obvious but the cost to ship a car will also depend on if the pick-up and drop off point is along a main route... i've shipped personal cars to and from Dallas, Texas and also to Los Angeles from NJ.  being along the route helps tremendously because then they aren't hitting you with a surcharge to deliver in an off location like Charleston, WV.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2019 2:32 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

I can offer door to door service originating in the Southeast going to anywhere but Mexico, Canada, or North Mexico (California).

What I can't offer is a cheap price, my truck gets a premium rate.  It's an open trailer, so if it rains, the car gets wet.  No different than most of the major car carriers, except it's 1 on 1 service with no "extra stops" or waiting around.  

In a few more posts, I can actually show a picture of the truck... until then... trust me, it's a nice truck and trailer.

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 20, 2019 5:07 pm
hello reacted
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 21, 2019 8:15 am
KaM
 KaM
(@kamlung)
N00b

so next time i buy a car from florida, i've got someone to deliver... 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 21, 2019 9:37 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

FYI I can fit two MR2's on that trailer

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 22, 2019 6:16 pm
(@chrioboy2)
Trusted Member
Posted by: pwnzor

I can offer door to door service originating in the Southeast going to anywhere but Mexico, Canada, or North Mexico (California).

But Guadalupe Hidalgo!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 22, 2019 7:25 pm
Share: