Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Flex pipe leak fix? My DP issues continue..

(@mr2zeal)
Eminent Member

My Che midpipe joint leaks seem to have been fixed thanks to tips from Dev, but I still had an exhaust leak. Unable to find a leak at the ends, I ran my hand all around the pipe and found a lot of air coming out of the right side of the flex joint. I wanted to make it clear, that I bought this pipe used. This is not a reflection of Che's flex pipe. 😒 

Any idea how I can fix it? Or am I doomed to buy a new one? 

82288134 1250318295167567 7105561755262124032 n

The che midpipe was used but in good condition. The previous owner bought it from another well regarded Spyderchat member, but never installed it himself. 

Thoughts? Fiber wrap over the flex joint? Weld a new piece in between? 

-------------------------------------

Solved-> very easy to weld, but it is stainless welding.

This topic was modified 4 years ago by mr2zeal
Topic starter Posted : January 18, 2020 2:10 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Are you sure its coming from the flex joint.  When I had my leaks at the header side it would shoot a stream of air near the flex joint and it had my suspicions . I would make 100% sure its not the header joint and the flex section by isolating the leak. You can do this by using a hanging string or an incense stick. 

The flex pipe on the Che is built in such a way that is durable. If there is a crack in the flex pipe it will also discolor the braided flex cloth.    

What gasket did you use?  

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 18, 2020 3:15 pm
(@mr2zeal)
Eminent Member

Anyone try to replace their flex joint for a ball flange like this one:

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 18, 2020 3:15 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

You cant use a ball flange for a flex joint.  The flex joint is necessary so it can flex when the engine rocks during acceleration and deceleration to take the stress off the pipe otherwise it will stress the pipe and crack.  Eventually even the flex joint will crack given enough time but its longer lasting then a solid pipe and the main cause of flex section rupture is bad engine mounts. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 18, 2020 3:23 pm
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

I welded in a flex joint two weeks ago.   Part is only about $40.   Pretty simple.

32F0EC35 BC12 4F4D 82B1 78A4E8D78CAC
38CA5C04 7361 406B B112 7E8A6243ACEB

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 18, 2020 4:36 pm
Share: