Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Door trigger

Page 1 / 3
(@hello)
Reputable Member

This is stupid but how do I wire a light to the door trigger so it turns on when I open the door? I need the door open to do the wiring so the light currently gets triggered when I close the door. Do I try to wire with the door closed? That's gonna be difficult. Pretty sure I am missing something simple...

Edit: yep I am an idiot. I disconnect the battery, wire it up, close the door, then connect battery yes?

Edit2: bigger idiot. I probably have the polarity switched? brb...

This topic was modified 5 years ago 2 times by hello
Topic starter Posted : August 10, 2019 1:14 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

I don't know if my approach will be helpful for you,  but I have under-dash, glove-box and cubby storage lights that come on -- either automatically when a door is opened, or manually when I use the dome light switch -- because I wired to the dome light switch.  I just ran the wires down the A pillar. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2019 1:39 pm
hello reacted
(@hello)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @uncle-mush

I don't know if my approach will be helpful for you,  but I have under-dash, glove-box and cubby storage lights that come on -- either automatically when a door is opened, or manually when I use the dome light switch -- because I wired to the dome light switch.  I just ran the wires down the A pillar. 

Yea I think I stumbled upon your thread in the old forum. I found the door trigger wires by the driver kick so that's the cleaner way to do it. In addition, I am installing a switch so the light is triggered not just by door opening but whenever I flip switch on. Not sure how that incorporates into your setup.

Apparently the light only comes on when passenger door is open. I am currently just testing the light. I wonder if adding the wiring harness would change outcome. This is gonna be lots of trial and error...

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 10, 2019 1:52 pm
(@hello)
Reputable Member

I don't get circuits. Tried every combination. Only works when I close the door lol.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 10, 2019 7:04 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Constant power and the door switch provides the ground. Simple! When the door closes the ground is disconnected.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2019 12:52 am
hello reacted
(@hello)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @haloruler64

Constant power and the door switch provides the ground. Simple! When the door closes the ground is disconnected.

So how do I make it the opposite? Disconnect ground when door opens?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 11, 2019 11:54 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I'm not sure what you mean. If your aim is for it to turn ON when the door opens, then constant power and hook ground to door switch. If your aim is for it to turn OFF when the door opens, that's a different story.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2019 4:45 pm
hello reacted
(@hello)
Reputable Member

Oh. So that's what I am doing wrong. I have been wiring the positive to the door trigger and negative to ground when I needed to wire positive to 12v constant and negative to door trigger?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 11, 2019 7:44 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Yes, the door button is not passing through any power. It is simply a ground that, when the door is closed, is disconnected.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 12, 2019 9:38 pm
hello reacted
(@hello)
Reputable Member

Will try this weekend!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 12, 2019 9:42 pm
(@hello)
Reputable Member

If it's wired to constant, does it drain battery? Guessing not because door will be closed meaning ground disconnect/circuit is incomplete?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 13, 2019 7:32 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Yeah, no circuit means no battery drain. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 13, 2019 9:08 pm
hello reacted
(@hello)
Reputable Member

IT WORKED THANK YOU! However, how do I get the switch to work lol. It only works when the door is open which makes sense. I guess I need a second ground so the circuit is always complete regardless if door is open or not? This is the harness I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073TYH2VN/ Any ideas?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 17, 2019 12:05 pm
(@hello)
Reputable Member

I think I need to connect one of the ground wires that goes to the switch and connect it to a ground on the car?

switch

Edit: also my switch is backwards somehow. It turns on at the off position and off at the on position. Not a big deal but feel like it's a clue I did something wrong lol

This post was modified 5 years ago by hello
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 17, 2019 12:19 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. If you add another full time ground, it'll just always be grounded?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2019 4:58 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: