Notifications
Clear all

Ropeyracing Rear vent double

Page 2 / 2
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

I like it in body color. The look of these vents is interesting. In my view neither an improvement or detraction, just functional.  Is the rear engine venting a functional means of cooling the motor?  Is the 'hood' a passive vent or is there 'suction' when the car is moving?

I do not being cornered by rain.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 12, 2021 9:56 pm
(@forminfunction)
Eminent Member

I like the idea, not sure how I feel about the looks. Part of it is definitely my OCD as the rear hood lines flare outward from the third brake light cover, yet the grill (although centered) is squared off. In that sense the linked VIS piece appeals to me more, even if just for that admittedly insane level of OCD. Next level design would be if those vents not only had an exhaust fan mounted under them, but could be closed water tight with a switch....come on Dev, with all you've designed for these cars we both know you can make it happen 😉 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 12, 2021 10:50 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

It is my belief that the engine runs cool and the engine bay on one side is hot for good reason and that is the hot side being the header faces rearwards unlike the two previous generations and the other vehicles that share the same engine as the header is up against the firewall where the radiated heat is contained behind it.  
 All the fans are going to do is cool off the header with ambient air which is not going to put a dent in cooling it down and there is no reason to, it’s a header. Under hood temps are actually good with our layout because there is no radiator in the engine bay which keeps the area of the firewall cooler. 
If this was an air cooled engine a case could be made but since its water cooled Toyota has designed it well.  

As far as looks go Im realizing it’s not for me. I think it looks good but not with my car as I feel it draws too much flare. I want my car to have a clean lines blended in to be elegant as a whole  and this would break it up.  I’m sure it would look great on another build. I wouldn’t dare try to make one of these as it would be a large undertaking. These guys did a great job.

At least I can put this behind me and get a new head unit and line converter. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 13, 2021 12:13 am
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)
Posted by: @dev

What do you guys thing of this mod. 

https://www.ropeyracing.com/mr2-parts/mr2-spyderroadster-rear-vent-cgrf5

0579D66A F9F1 4468 BEF9 49F402C0F29A

I'm not a fan.  I don't care for the way it looks, which is just a personal taste kind of thing.  It was interesting to go to their website and see what all they have -- again, not my cup of tea, but if someone out there is creating new after market parts for our cars, that seems to be a good thing as it shows continued interest in MK3 MR2s.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 14, 2021 12:27 pm
(@turbo_jimbo)
Estimable Member

I was seriously considering their mount system with wing and tow hook... Almost pulled the plug last night. I don't really want NRG parts on my car, so I'll have to figure it out on my own. Cool to see a different vendor making parts for us.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 14, 2021 1:42 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I did see their rear bumper brace it does look well made. I like how it is modular for other things. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 14, 2021 3:36 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @uncle-mush

What do you guys thing of this mod. 

https://www.ropeyracing.com/mr2-parts/mr2-spyderroadster-rear-vent-cgrf5

0579D66A F9F1 4468 BEF9 49F402C0F29A

I'm not a fan.  I don't care for the way it looks, which is just a personal taste kind of thing.  It was interesting to go to their website and see what all they have -- again, not my cup of tea, but if someone out there is creating new after market parts for our cars, that seems to be a good thing as it shows continued interest in MK3 MR2s.

Thanks for your opinion UM.  The more I looked at it I came to the same conclusion.  Although our stock grill looks very basic I think it doesn't need to draw any attention to it.  

]

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 14, 2021 3:40 pm
Uncle Mush reacted
(@forminfunction)
Eminent Member

I did see their rear bumper brace it does look well made. I like how it is modular for other things. 

This item caught my eye as well, it looks like a pretty well designed alternative to the OEM piece

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 15, 2021 8:19 pm
turbo_jimbo and dev reacted
scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member

I think it has a possibility of looking good when color matched.  I don't like visible bolts and rivets on this car. 

scottsmods.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 17, 2021 1:36 am
turbo_jimbo reacted
(@turbo_jimbo)
Estimable Member

It would take a lot of other things attached to the car to make visible bolts and rivets look right. Interesting to see quite a few items available from what seems to be a small operation.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 17, 2021 2:56 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Yes the visible bolts kill it for me and that is why I asked them if I could have one where they don't drill though it. 

Their response was it would cost four times as much since they would have to make it special.  I did not want to waste anymore energy  into the reasoning why  since its just one less thing to do rather than adding something.  Maybe they have an inventory that is already made and they would have to make more. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 17, 2021 11:28 am
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

@dev

It's aluminum and you can paint it, so fill the holes with epoxy, prep and paint it, and then tape it down like you wanted.  😎 

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 17, 2021 12:52 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @neomr2

@dev

It's aluminum and you can paint it, so fill the holes with epoxy, prep and paint it, and then tape it down like you wanted.  😎 

I was thinking about doing it with filling the holes but it is for other reasons I decided to not buy it. 

If they made one with thinner lovers it would be a better match, this is a little over the top for my needs. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 17, 2021 1:00 pm
neomr2 reacted
Page 2 / 2
Share: