Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Replacement Steering wheel options

Page 1 / 2
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

I am looking to replace the steering wheel on my car. It's currently an SMT wheel, and as soon as I bought the car the SMT was pulled. I'm looking for a wheel with a little bit more beef to it, so thicker, and also a slightly smaller diameter while maintaining an OEM aesthetic and airbags. Anything out there that will bolt on? I miss the feeling of my BMW steering wheel and would love something similar to that in the MR-S

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

Topic starter Posted : April 28, 2020 11:16 am
Erdoc48
(@erdoc48)
Estimable Member

Did you consider a recovering of the OEM wheel? That’s the route I chose and I used a guy on the 300ZX forum I’m on (he does this professionally)- I had the thumb rests shaved (don’t miss them at all) and he put some extra padding around the wheel and it’s now a nice thick gripped wheel (but OEM in diameter) and has the airbag intact. I can send you pics of it if you want to see his work (PM me your email address since posting photo links is a pain). His turnaround was really quick, maybe < 1 week- it’s been a while so I don’t recall exactly how long it took, but it wasn’t too long. His site is: Leatherwheels.com

If you no longer can use the CC on your former SMT car, he could likely cover the area of the CC buttons and re-wrap in leather so you would never know they were there. 

The other company is Dallassteeringwheel.com

I think redline goods sells a cover for our wheels as well but I don’t know if it’s padded and you would have to stitch it onto the wheel core.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 28, 2020 1:29 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I had my wheel recovered, with a flat bottom welded in. It is now fatter but I retain the OEM airbag. Well, it's a RAV4 airbag now.

IMG 20191223 143255
IMG 20191222 035428

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 28, 2020 9:19 pm
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member

The early nineties Maseratis has a réally cool wood rim with rivets ánd an airbag. Was made by Nardi. The rivets version is gone I think but they still have very nice looking ones. Was optional in the Miata for a several years. Should be around used. 

As a left field alternative, if you like the wheel a bit closer, you could go deep dish and transplant the OEM airbag centre.

Me, I don´t like the explosives in front of me and the passenger in such a small car. It is with very good reason that there is a death warning in all and an off switch in some markets.

As I pulled the explosives out anyway, it opened the way to a steering wheel of choice.  I went for a Sparco SanRemo. Júst that bit smaller/thinner. Lóve it. Mind you, did a power steering delete too. The direct feel of wood connected to the tyres is awsome.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 29, 2020 3:56 am
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

Very nice look, breaks up the plastic look

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 29, 2020 8:20 am
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @cspidy

Very nice look, breaks up the plastic look

Yes, definitely less so. Added metal and chrome look 😎 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 29, 2020 10:42 am
Snelbaard
(@snelbaard)
Trusted Member

I can't post pics yet, but I'm quite interested in the TRD three spoke steering wheel. I can't seem to find any pictures of an MR2 fitted with it though. Does anyone here have any experience with it?

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 3, 2020 11:57 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @snelbaard

I can't post pics yet, but I'm quite interested in the TRD three spoke steering wheel. I can't seem to find any pictures of an MR2 fitted with it though. Does anyone here have any experience with it?

You should be able to post picks now. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 3, 2020 11:58 am
Snelbaard
(@snelbaard)
Trusted Member

Ah excellent. This is the one I mean:

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 3, 2020 12:06 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I do not believe it will work on a Spyder, no. 99% sure that's a different hub.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 4, 2020 1:06 am
Snelbaard
(@snelbaard)
Trusted Member

That's a shame and a bit surprising as on this Japanese auction site, it specifically says it'll fit on an MR-S:

http://yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=c715369404

but it's wayyyy out of my price range anyway

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 4, 2020 9:32 am
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member

Here´s one in an MR2:

[img][/img]

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 4, 2020 9:42 am
Snelbaard reacted
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

@petrus I am not sure if it is just me but I do not see the image.

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 4, 2020 10:38 am
marsrock7 reacted
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member

@desertwanderer

I do see it so??

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 4, 2020 11:12 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Nope, don't see the photo either. 

The splines are technically correct across most Toyotas. The issue is that there are two hub styles. 90's hubs are large had have a few notches cut out of them. This is for the 90s Corolla, Supra, 6th gen Celica, etc. That's what the TRD wheel generally has. Then there's the 2000's hub, which is much thinner and has two pegs at 3 and 9 o'clock, which fits the MR-S, 7th gen Celica, and newer Corollas. I ran into this issue installing a Celica style steering wheel but it was a 90's hub so it didn't fit. Same style wheel, but different hubs

2014 07 28 19.02.15

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 4, 2020 2:36 pm
marsrock7 and neomr2 reacted
Page 1 / 2
Share: