Share:

AW10 Front emblem  

RSS
hello
(@hello)
Estimable Member

Anyone have any idea on how one might hack this onto a spyder?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-MR2-MR-2-AW11-1984-1989-OEM-Genuine-Red-Front-Eagle-Hood-Emblem-Badge-JDM/113802757711

Posted : 11/07/2019 11:15 pm
phats
(@phats)
Trusted Member

Drill 3 holes for the plastic clips then it just pops on ... kinda like a rivnut without the threads .

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by phats
ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/07/2019 11:21 pm
hello liked
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)
Eminent Member

I think x-biker sports one of these on his car.   You might ask him what was involved.   It would be cool if the pins matched the spyder's pin holes without need for modification.  I would think you could forgo drilling new holes in the hood and just use 3M emblem/trim tape to mount.   You'd have to trim the pins off the new emblem,  but that's nothing compared to drilling more holes in the frunk lid.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Uncle Mush
ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/07/2019 11:30 pm
hello liked
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Trusted Member

Yeah I'd trim the pins before drilling holes!

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/07/2019 12:11 am
hello liked
NottaMiata
(@nottamiata)
Reputable Member

If possible, maybe a mixed approach: keep the top center pin if the existing badge has one in the right spot, then trim any others that do not align and use adhesive tape to finish up. Why trim a pin if there's a hole that would work?

Be mindful, though, that the hood curvature is probably different and using any of the pins might cause the badge to lift one of the edges awkwardly.

Once you cut a pin off, you cannot un-cut it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/07/2019 7:02 am
hello liked
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Trusted Member

Lots of emblems are taped on and last a long time. 

Cut and then grind the pins areas off the emblem, get some 3-M tape and 3-M primer, clean both surfaces where the tape will mate with alcohol first and then the primer, attach the tape to the emblem, peal the plastic from the tape and then push it onto the hood and hope you aligned it correctly.

If not, take some fishing line and use it to cut the tape between the emblem and body - use a sawing motion, and then try it again...

😋

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/07/2019 7:17 am
hello liked
NottaMiata
(@nottamiata)
Reputable Member

Might also help the alignment task to mark the outline with good masking tape before applying the badge. (that was one of the the purposes of using a pin, but i failed to mention that)

Just be sure the adhesive tape doesnt trap any of your marker tape. That won't be pleasant.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by NottaMiata
ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/07/2019 7:23 am
hello
(@hello)
Estimable Member

The holes don't match. Looks like adhesive is the way to go.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/07/2019 12:51 pm
hello
(@hello)
Estimable Member
Posted by: Uncle Mush

I think x-biker sports one of these on his car.   You might ask him what was involved.   It would be cool if the pins matched the spyder's pin holes without need for modification.  I would think you could forgo drilling new holes in the hood and just use 3M emblem/trim tape to mount.   You'd have to trim the pins off the new emblem,  but that's nothing compared to drilling more holes in the frunk lid.

Is x-biker here?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/07/2019 12:52 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)
Eminent Member

Yep.  X-biker joined June 24th, if I am not mistaken. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2019 12:53 am
hello liked
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Estimable Member

Mine didn't have the tabs. I used 3M Plastic Emblem and Trim Adhesive. It's been on for 2+ years. Just measure carefully.

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/07/2019 3:14 pm
WilcoMR-S and hello liked
Share:
Close Menu

Working

Please Login or Register