Share:
Notifications
Clear all

An announcement on new product discoveries for the Spyder.

Page 1 / 2
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I decided to keep Keyhole covers alive since I have paint and because I decided to finally support the FR-S and by default Subaru. LT contacted last week for another prototype keyhole cover for his FR-S and new STI and I found where I left off before I got railroaded with orders for other stuff like the door bushings  that I put it on ice and pretty much decided not to support that platform because I wasn’t satisfied with my progress at the time.  

The problem I had before was finding a good base for the smaller style keyhole covers as that was a never ending problem that didn’t sit well until I decided to try again this week and it just happened. 

This newer prototype is exceptional for the other Toyota handles (not Spyder) that I was selling using a different base and in the process I made a discovery which is it makes a great valet cover and with a slight modification It makes for a great glovebox keyhole cover.   This is something I was asked about in the past but never tried because it would be hard to sit flush and be able to be removed easily. Well it works now by satisfying both criteria and is durable. 

I’m just giving you guys a heads up as I’m near completion of the valet cover and glovebox cover if anyone is interested. 

I should have pricing once I work out some logistics.  

Topic starter Posted : February 19, 2020 7:12 pm
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

That's great!  I'm glad I was able to help in a tiny way by bugging you about my need to cover all keyholes in all vehicles I own.  hahaha.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 19, 2020 7:17 pm
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

These kind of discoveries happen when I’m not looking for it or trying something else. If I try too hard it never works but if you never PMed me for prototype it would have never happened.  Also switched to a new plastic bonder which is overkill.  
This new keyhole cover is just amazingly flush because the edges are thin and the diameter is just right to where the magnet bottoms out with a tight fit.  .25mm ether way and it would lose that charm. I think I got lucky. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 19, 2020 7:39 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

Improvements, you say?  

Do I order through your website, or here on the forum?

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 19, 2020 9:44 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @pwnzor

Improvements, you say?  

Do I order through your website, or here on the forum?

Keep in mind this is just for the elusive valet cover replacement that I was for sale but discontinued when I changed the 3D printer head and could no longer print them. The new keyhole cover is for a different application for newer Toyota and Subaru handles not for us.  

This version is magnetic and a bit better. In addition to this with a change in magnet size we now have a glove box keyhole cover. 

I was never crazy about these two interior pieces because I thought they weren’t lucrative but to my surprise I sold many valet covers and when I sold out I had those that were disappointed.  

Since they are not too hard for me to make since the flat sanded black plastic matches the interior plastics I will try and keep the price to a minimum and just get them out there for people.  

When the time comes I will have a link on my website to place your order with options for either the valet, glove box or both to save on shipping. 

I just need to do some stress tests on the new bonder as it takes 30 hours to set. I hope to start production this weekend and have the webpage up and running Sunday.  

If the bonder works really well I may just bring back the magnetic Spyder covers.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 19, 2020 10:36 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

SWEET!!  Something new for the Spyder!  I'm in!

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 19, 2020 11:25 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

Yeah... one of each for me!

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2020 9:02 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I will have a picture of the FR-S cover shortly. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 20, 2020 9:22 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Here is a sneak peek to the new cover.  What makes this cover special is the edges are thin enough to not be visible and therefore flush. 

Once painted it will be seamless but will have a slight bevel from the opening. If it was flush on top it will show a line of demarcation like a ring with edging and that was happening with the other prototypes. These  covers are also easy enough to remove by pushing down on top with your index filter and lifting out with your thumb but its not something that will fall out or come off during a car wash.  Even if you tried hard with one finger it will stay put. This is the most perfect keyhole cover I have made and if it was just a little off it would have very different results. I plan to paint these two this weekend and send them off to LT.    

The Left is for Subaru and the right is for most Toyota door handles.  

IMG 0329
IMG 0331
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 20, 2020 2:01 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @dev

I decided to keep Keyhole covers alive since I have paint and because I decided to finally support the FR-S and by default Subaru. LT contacted last week for another prototype keyhole cover for his FR-S and new STI and I found where I left off before I got railroaded with orders for other stuff like the door bushings  that I put it on ice and pretty much decided not to support that platform because I wasn’t satisfied with my progress at the time.  

The problem I had before was finding a good base for the smaller style keyhole covers as that was a never ending problem that didn’t sit well until I decided to try again this week and it just happened. 

This newer prototype is exceptional for the other Toyota handles (not Spyder) that I was selling using a different base and in the process I made a discovery which is it makes a great valet cover and with a slight modification It makes for a great glovebox keyhole cover.   This is something I was asked about in the past but never tried because it would be hard to sit flush and be able to be removed easily. Well it works now by satisfying both criteria and is durable. 

I’m just giving you guys a heads up as I’m near completion of the valet cover and glovebox cover if anyone is interested. 

I should have pricing once I work out some logistics.  

I am interested in both!

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2020 2:47 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Excellent. My car in currently in darkness so Im gong to have to borrow a locals are for a photos of the new valet and glove compartment cover. 

I wish they were interchangeable but it looks like the magnet has to be smaller for glove box.  Im waiting on the bonder to set with the new prototype but it should work as it was just a little off with the big magnet.  

This got me thinking if LT can make s sticker for it as it would be a nice touch for the interior. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 20, 2020 5:34 pm
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

Excellent. My car in currently in darkness so Im gong to have to borrow a locals are for a photos of the new valet and glove compartment cover. 

I wish they were interchangeable but it looks like the magnet has to be smaller for glove box.  Im waiting on the bonder to set with the new prototype but it should work as it was just a little off with the big magnet.  

This got me thinking if LT can make s sticker for it as it would be a nice touch for the interior. 

I can definitely make decals for the interior one.  what kind of icon are you thinking?

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2020 9:01 pm
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

Also, I will be taking pics and posting them as soon as I can.  Luckily, I already washed the FR-S before I started reverting it to stock.  And the STi is coated and will be washed on Saturday.  Great for pics of these awesome additions.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2020 9:04 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @lordtakuban

I can definitely make decals for the interior one.  what kind of icon are you thinking?

Good question.  I don't really know as I thought of it last minute.  

Maybe black with the MR in silver. 20 for 20th anniversary. Something discrete so it looks more factory.

Anyone else have any ideas as I think if its done correctly it could actually look really good like one of those attention to detail things.  

Edit:  I think im on to something.   Im going to call these glove box covers 20th anniversary covers.   

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 20, 2020 9:26 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I just finished the glove box cover or known as the 20th anniversary cover. 

I wasn't satisfied with the sanded flat grain because it contrasts with the latch mechanism since it its a little more stain.   

I tried different things and ended up sanding it with 2000 grit and then liquid pushing  the cover to bring back a muted shine to match it closer to its soundings and it seem to have done the trick.  

The cover is pretty neat in that its easy to be removed so you can lock the glove box and at the same time frunk when you have the top down. However the magnetic attraction is strong enough not to fall out. I violently shook and dropped the glove box an it says put.  This makes it easy to remove the cover and lock or unlock without  having it become annoying trying to pinch out or press in the cover.  

IMG 0332
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 21, 2020 11:36 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: